what now? menopause? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what now? menopause? what now? menopause?

Unread 03-04-2002, 04:06 PM
what now? menopause?

So I am all excited about having a TAH/BSO April 2, right? The last few months had been painful, bloody and only a tad bit irregular, which is why I went to see my gyno.

Now, however, I seem to have all dried up - aunt flo just seemed to pack her bags and leave town with only a few tiny spots and me using up a whole box of 'pons in fear of the likely gusher that has yet to appear.

What's up with that?

I am still bloated and uncomfortable and just want to get the whole darn thing over with! Dr. said that even if I were to go into menopause tomorrow (I started periods at age 9 and so he says those people tend to have them longer) my fibroids would not shrink entirely and the endo would not go away right away - and my uterus, which is huge, would not diminish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 05:18 PM
what now? menopause?

Caroline,
You sound as though you are second guessing your decision ... something that is pretty common with a lot of us. And when our bodies start playing tricks on us, it doesn't make it any easier.

It's funny how once you finally make the tough decision to have the hyst, sometimes the periods stop or aren't as bad, or you have a good pain-free day and think "why am I doing this?"

Do you really think this could be menopause? It sounds like you've had some irregularity recently. You could talk to your gyn about having your estrogen level checked, to be sure.

Hang in there, Caroline. Those last few weeks before a hyst are usually a strange and wild ride.

Beth
Unread 03-04-2002, 05:21 PM
what now? menopause?

I think Auntie Flo may just be taking a little vacation, and will very possibly return. This kind of happenend to me too. After having non-stop bleeding for a month, I scheduled my hyst, and then didn't get my period on the next scheduled date. I had the thought, why am I having the surgery now? Maybe Auntie Flo is all done with me. Well, about a week before my surgery, she returned worse than ever - my dh came home and found me in the fetal position crying because I was bleeding so hard and in so much pain!!! She was still with me when I went in for surgery a week later. Turns out I had Adenomyosis, so my problems were not likely to go away with out the surgery. My uterus was so enlarged that it had to be removed abdominally rather than vaginally - can't say that I have missed it one little bit!!

Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 09:33 AM
no second guessing!

Oh no...I am not second guessing. It is just strange not having a period for the first time in my life! And today I feel like I am probably ovulating as I have that familiar pain on the side and feel like I am bearing a bowling ball down below - so I think my bod just didn't ovulate like it normally did last month.

No...if I could go to the hospital today at noon for surgery, I would!!!

Got medical records from my last gyno in the mail yesterday - when I had a D&C in August 2000. Even at that point I had a "12-week uterus." So, like I said, I just want it to hurry and get here (and it will be before I know it and even the 8-week "vacation" will be over and I will be back to my boring job!).

I suppose my only fear (and it is unfounded), is that once they cut me open, they will find something bad.

Frankly, I need a day off just to shop for comfy jammies, slide-in slippers, and fun foodstuffs to have on hand!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register