pre-op hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op hysterectomy pre-op hysterectomy

Unread 03-04-2002, 04:34 PM
pre-op hysterectomy

Cosmocyndi TAH-RSO

I'm having a TAH-RSO March 18. Am still debating second set of
ovaries removed. Have cyst problems, pelvic pain, heavy periods
and possibley endro...I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions.
I have discussed with Dr. that I would prefer to keep the left set of ovaries if it is good. I'm 39 and am scared to go back later to have to have ovary left in removed. I am self pay....(no insurance), so it has taken 3 years to convince me to give up $$
but I know I will feel better afterwards. I Just don't want to go back later for surgery. My Dr. feels he needs to make my insision vertically instead of horizontally due to my enlarged uterus and that he needs to see what has been going on in there. I really trust his judgement....I just like to wear a 2 pc. suit at the beach and wonder about the scar. How far below the belly button does it start? I know it goes down to hairline. Any thoughts about which insision heals better, leaves less scar? I told him that I prefer horizonally and he said he would note that. He just wants to be able to see everything is what he says. Insision will be about 4-5 inches. Is this accurate? Another question I have is....will I feel like wearing jammie pants and a
T-shirt for my hospital stay? I don't care for long gowns and want to keep things covered. Does that sound stupid? Oh, and can you go to the tanning bed and just cover up the scar....I forgot to ask the Dr. (I have one in my house)

Thanks,
Cosmocyndi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 05:01 PM
pre-op hysterectomy

Cosmocyndi,

You asked about the length of the incision. This seems to vary quite a bit depending on the doctor and the problems each lady is having. I've read posts that indicate the incision is 4 to 5 inches (as you mention), but I've read other posts that indicate an 11 inch incision. This also depends on the size of the lady

My incision was horizontal (bikini cut) and it is about 7 1/2 inches. I had severe endo and my doc considered a vertical incision, but agreed to do the bikini cut instead. I've read posts from ladies with vertical incisions who said it healed just fine, others seem to indicate it is harder to recover from the vertical incision. The bikini cut is so low that you can wear a two piece bathing suit without the incision showing (unless it is really skimpy). This might be a problem with a vertical incision ... ask your doctor to be sure.

Many ladies are more comfortable in jammie pants and T-shirts ... the only thing is that you are likely to have a catheter for the first day or so and that's a bit easier to deal with if you're wearing a gown. Once the catheter is removed, jammie pants should be great.

The ovary question is a tough one. If your left ovary is healthy, you probably want to keep it because it will do the work of two ovaries and can possibly prevent you from needing any hormone replacement for many more years. It may never give you any trouble. If it does, laparoscopic surgery might be an option and that recovery is generally much shorter than with an abdominal incision.

Can't help you out with the tanning question ... I'm fair skinned and burn so easily that I don't try tanning!

Best of luck with your surgery! We'll be here for you every step of the way.

Beth
Unread 03-04-2002, 06:28 PM
pre-op hysterectomy

Hi,

I have had 2 incisions horizontal and 2 vertical. The horizontal ones heal 500% faster, at least on me! The cut starts right below your belly button and mine goes down to the hairline. Ask your doctor...they can tell you best! Of course if the doctor thinks that there is a problem, he will cut you up and down.

I was lucky, there was planning and discussion ahead of time.

I find it ironic that 17 years after my child came out of that incision, my uterus did.

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 04:13 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Girls, thanks for the info. Got Dr. paid. Spent 2 hours at hospital for my turn (I was scheduled of course but.....always slow there)
for the EKG, bloodwork, and a nurse taked with me. (something they routinely do) Everything was fine!

At the hospital, I went to the office where you pay to get an idea of the cost of the hospital for the 48 hours I'll be there. Guess what...upon them averaging a few hysters....the figure was $12,000 to $16,000. OMG! With out any insurance, won't I have a hefty bill! They said I might qualify to get like 30% off the bill due to income....thank God they take payments and there is no interest on the bill! Wow! I didn't even tell my hubby...They said I can pay whatever I want as a monthly payment, so there you go! For those of you who have insurance...especially through your employer, please appreciate this bonus even though you have a deductable and a co-pay. Look at me! OUCH! And you wonder why I have waited 3 years to do this.

I spoke to the Dr.'s office when I paid about the insision being
vertical instead of horizontal. Found out that means the Dr. is expecting to have more than I thought and I was told that I didn't want him to miss any of the endro and have to come back, so I now have accepted the vertical cut. I hate the muscles being cut that way and healing, but bottom line, I will be much better in the end when I get to cross over to the Post-op side! That conservative 2 pc. that I wanted to wear on vacation in June may or may not work. I don't want the edge of the scar to get burnt. No belly tan this year. lol

Dr. said Tuesday that I can do the enema thing myself the night b-4 surgery which makes me feel better. That is the only pre-surgery so no shaving needed!

I imagine with the trouble, both sets....(and when I say that, I mean the ovary and tube as a set...that's how the Dr. put it so that is how I got "set") will more than likely come out. I am expecting to wake up that way even though I am scheduled for
TAH-RSO which means the right side ovary is definately coming out. I will be fine if that happens. My mom and sister are on HRT
and do good. My sister uses the patches and my mom gets a shot once a month. Any thought on those verses the pill HRT?

Thank you for your support! This site is great! When I told the office of the DR. about this site, they were like...."oh, maybe it isn't good to hear all that". I told them that it is so much better.
Heck, we all know that we get so much more REAL information
down to the nittie-gritty here!

11 DAYS TO GO....cosmocyndi
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:32 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

One of my friends had a surgery with an abdominal incision and she used Vitamin E on the scar and virtually has nothing but a little line on her belly. This is not the Vitamin E capsule that you puncture, which has a small amount of E in it, but something she got in a tube that is very thick. Ask your pharmacist about it. I do know that sometimes fair skinned people have more problems with scars.

I started out with an HRT patch and hated it, so I switched to oral HRT and seem to be getting along OK with that. I don't know anyone that has used the 1 month injection method.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Unread 03-07-2002, 04:51 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

I have some vit.E that is in a bottle, very concentrated and thick. Probably is close to the one your friend used. I will put that on when I am able after the staples are out. Do you know if it is okay to use like then, or must I wait a few weeks or so?

Glad to hear something good about a vertical insision.....usually hear the negative....harder to re-coop, etc.

Oh, I have a question....maybe someone will tell me....how long do you have drainage/bleeding after surgery. The papers I have say like up to 4 weeks and the nurse at the hospital said for just a few days will I have drainage.

Thanks for your reply!
cosmocyndi
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:10 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Ask your doc about when you can begin applying the vitamin E, I would think the earlier the better. I had absolutely no bleeding or drainage post op, but many of the sisters have had some that was slight. From the posts, I guess this is an individual thing, so don't ditch those panty liners just yet!

Unread 03-07-2002, 05:19 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

HI...I had a Tah/Bso on 1/21/02. I had a horizontal cut so I dont know much about the vertical one. I still have discharge at 6 1/2 wks. I went the other day to the doctor and I have granulation which means I am not healing properly so they put some silver nitrate in and the discharge is getting better every day. I had both ovaries take because I had endo really bad and cysts. Thank for the info on the Vit E. I bought some but it is just an oil so I will look for the thicker stuff...

I wore my hosp gown for the 3 days in....I am sure once they take out cath you can wear pj pants !! I was having hot flashes bad so they changed the gown several times a day, so I didnt want to have extra laundry when I got home !!

The just started me on a low dose of Premarin at 6 wks due to endo. The doc will have to decide what is best for you....

Well best of luck to you...Join the chat room sometime...It is fun !!

Hugs and Prayers Teresa
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:35 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Gee,
Please let me know why didn't you like the patch? My doc told me I will be on pills and I was a little disapointed thinking that a patch is more convenient (you can't forget to take it).
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:56 AM
Tanning

Do not tan your scar now. It will turn darker if it is not healed yet. Use Neosporin or Mederma constantly. I would cover it when tanning. I had your idea about tanning but then I spoke to a dermatologist who told me about the darkening of the scar. You can also use vitamin e oil to speed healing.
My surgery is March 19th. TVH, Kinda afraid but made my mind up.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register