pre-op hysterectomy - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op hysterectomy pre-op hysterectomy

Unread 03-07-2002, 07:17 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Sungrl

I know I am in the minority about disliking the patch, it was not the hormone but having something stuck to me! I guess I am funny that way. No matter where I put it, buttocks, back, abdomen it was in my way for some reason. Mine had to be changed twice a week so I had to remember to do that. My dh didn't like it either, it seemed to bother him when we were intimate and he touched it. I am much more relaxed with taking a pill once a day, part of my morning regimen. That might sound wierd, but that works for me. You might ask your doc about trying a patch, it might work for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 04:46 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

I LOVE THIS SITE!

Thanks for all the great tips!

I will be sure If I attempt to tan, I will cover incision for sure.
Vit.-E will be used, just not sure when? Week 3? And thanks for tips on the other 2 things I can use to help minimize the scar. I'll check with the DR. about the timing to use it.

My sis bleed/drainage for over 4 weeks and the Dr. had to go up vaginally and do a small repair. A vessel or something like that needed tied off or whatever. Wonder why the nurse says a few days and the papers she gave me said like up to 4 weeks. Hum!

I feel so alone with my soon to be vertical incision.......

Right now I am really seriously considering having the Dr. just take out the other ovary so I don't have to go back later...that posibility just kills me. I imagine with endo, they will both end up coming out anyway once he is in there. I am suprisingly fine with that when at first I was scared. ( I will have so many bills, It's awful. All of you who have insurance, please be ever so thankful!) I'm almost 40...Dr. says I could have up to 11 years b-4 menapause. I just want this over with and to be recovering right now. If both come out in the end, when does HRT begin? At the hospital, or when you go back for check up? Oh, for whomever asked about the patches, my sister loves them. She just places it on her butt mostly and gets a week out of it. I know someone else here didn't like them. Thank goodness there are several options! My mom prefers the once a month shot. She was too "sweaty" for the patches. lol

If both ovaries are removed...I've heard about week 2 surgical menopause sets in. What shall I expect? Lot's of crying, screaming? lol I want to prepare my family for mood swings or whatever I will have.

Can anyone tell me if they had the stockings for the legs or that other way where the thing pulses on your legs and looks similar to heating pads? The paper I received from the hospital says that the stockings have to be worn for the first week for blood circulation and to prevent blood clots when not walking. Did I get this right?

Thanks again for all the help!

cosmocyndi
Unread 03-08-2002, 05:07 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

The TED hose were put on me prior to surgery, they are very tight support hose. When I woke up, the pulsating leg wraps were on over the TED hose. Those were removed 24 hours after surgery and after I was up walking I could take the TED hose off. Each situation is different tho, if you have circulatory problems, your doc might want you to wear the TED hose longer. I think each doc has a different take on the TED hose. The problem is they are so hard to put on I don't think one person can do it for themselves. And you would have to take them off to shower. I think if you are walking about the house post op and keeping feet elevated when sitting a week of TED hose might not be required. That is a question you can ask when in the hospital before you go home, and the doc's judgement might depend on how active you are during your hospital stay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 05:08 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Cosmo, I had both ovaries taken out due to endo. I am 46 so I was glad because I didnt want to go back again.

I had the message leg things they put on..Never had any stockings, every doctor is so different.

At 6 wks I went back and had to get some hormones, I was crying alot and felt like I could not handle anything..Within days I felt alot better...

Take care and good luck !!

Hugs Teresa
Unread 03-08-2002, 05:32 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Thanks once again!

Everyday I feel I know a bit more of what to expect. I don't like suprises when it comes to this. I think I have asked all the questions in the world, and then.....POOF I think of another one.
The doctor's office would go nuts if a person kept calling them. I had a list of like 40 questions at my pre-op which the DR. answered to my satisfaction. It's just when you get paperwork from the hospital and all that, more "stuff" comes up! lol

My son just fractured his foot two days ago and is on crutches and today after work I take him back for more x-rays and then maybe off to the hospital for casting. What a way to spend our Friday night. Poor guy, he is 15 and this is killing him. Missed concert band because he was hurting and they have competition next week. He is a drummer and needed badly by the band. He's missing the ice skating trip this weekend....lol He'll feel better next week and then we will change places. Bad news is that he won't be much help after surgery seeing that it is 10 days away.

Oh, another question...what's the weight thing? Do you lose, gain? The swellybelly has me stressed. Two months it lasts?
We go on vacation at the beginning of June and I hope I am up for the 10 hr. drive. Any comments on that one? It will be like 10 weeks after surgery. I was hoping that would be alright.

Thanks yet again!!!

Cosmocyndi
Unread 03-08-2002, 05:47 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

In response to having both ovaries removed: You will immediatel go into "surgically induced" menopause. Typically you will be given your hormones right there in the hospital to help you avoid feeling all the menapausal symptoms. I have read that those with endo. usually won't get hormones right away. I'm not sure what is given to help ladies with endo.
I am 46 and have chosen to have both ovaries removed to avoid having to go back in later to remove them. I already have plenty of menapause symptoms so I think I will do even better with them out and started on estrogen patch.
MaryP
Unread 03-08-2002, 07:10 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Cosmo, your poor son !! I feel for him..My son is 17 and he would be devistated too !! I hope he gets better very soon !!

I have lost ten pounds since surgery !!

I dont know about the drive..You might be ok if you get out and stretch alot...I would ask doc !!!!

Take care !!
Tell you son I hope he is better soon !!! Poor guy !!

Hugs, Teresa
Unread 03-08-2002, 07:52 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Hi Cosmo

My dr didn't start my hrt until 2 weeks after surgery to lessen the chance of clots. I didn't have any hot flashes or mood swings (except I would cry at the drop of a hat but I think that had more to do with the actual surgery and its aftereffects). I'm taking estrace 1mg per day, it takes a while to know if that's going to do the trick.

I had the pulsating leg wraps for about 24 hours after surgery. I wore the hospital johnnies while I was there. You're only there a couple of nights anyway. It's that much less to remember. Do take a robe and slippers. Unless you specifically ask and receive an OK, don't take food and medication to the hosp. If you eat something before you've been cleared for a regular diet you can cause problems, and you're receiving meds in the hosp, so if you take something they don't know about, no matter how harmless it may seem, it could cause a bad reaction.

I'm 4 weeks and 3 days post today, and I feel so good that I'd take a 10 hour car trip. 10 years ago one of my sil's had a hyst and at 6 weeks she and I were on our way to Aruba for a week so she could recuperate!

After the first couple of weeks I had lost about 10 pounds, but that was mainly cause food just didn't appeal to me. I think the swelly belly varies with the person, others have said that even months after if they are on their feet for a long period of time that it comes back temporarily.

I don't think they actually cut the muscles in the abdomen, they use paddle type things and hold them out of the way.
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:43 AM
pre-op hysterectomy

Hi Cosmo

I'm 3 weeks post TAH/BSO. I've been dealing with endo and severe cramping pretty much since age 14 (I'm 33 yrs. old now). With my doctor's help, I decided it was best to take both ovaries just because I didn't want to have another surgery later and since there was endo on my ovaries that the doctors saw from earlier laproscopes, I'm glad I made the decision to have everything removed.

My cut was a horizontal bikini cut and it seems to be healing well. My cut was about 6 in. long. The staples don't really hurt, more just like uncomfortable.

I've lost about 5 pounds so far, but just because food isn't too appetizing. I'm feeling really good and I even went to the mall yesterday to get a manicure and walk a bit. I was really tired when I got home though and the mall is only 2 miles away and I was only gone about 2 hours from home. So, just remember to rest and take it easy and follow doctor's orders about resting, walking a little, drinking lots of water, and resting again!

Good luck and God Bless! s !!
Unread 03-08-2002, 06:23 PM
pre-op hysterectomy

So sorry to hear about your son, but by the 18th, he will be more help than you think! If you are planning a trip in June, just keep in mind how important those first few weeks are in recovery. I think you will be OK for travelling, but may feel the need to get out and walk about more often than usual. I gained weight after my surgery, unfortunately had no loss of appetite, and with the limited activity, packed on 7 pounds! I am almost back to normal weight at 6 weeks. I still have some swelly belly, but am trying not to be too up tight about that! I have discovered that a size larger is too big, and my regular size is just a bit tight, so I think I am making progress.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register