its a foreign language | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

its a foreign language its a foreign language

Unread 03-04-2002, 04:40 PM
its a foreign language

I'm new to this hysterectomy language. Today I have been to see the dr who is more than keen to give me a date for op, but I have declined - again. I have been suffering from fibroids? don't know too much about it, them, whatever. I know that things will not get any better unless I take the 'plunge' but I cannot bring myself to agree to having the op. Has anyone else felt like this? If so, how did you manage to convince yourself you were doing the right thing? I so confused and afraid that when I go to see the dr I have never plucked up the courage to ask him to explain exactly what he wants to do, or how it will affect my afterwards. You could say I am completely in the dark.

On a much lighter note I am glad to have found this site, its an eye opener!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 04:51 PM
its a foreign language

Hi Amanda,
I understand why are you afraid. If you do not feel like having a hysterectomy, maybe you should see if there are any other options. There is one procedure called Uterine fibroids embolization where they block the blood supply to the fibroids, so they shrink by them selves. It is non-invasive, but you should speak to your doctor to find out if it would be right for you.
Good luck!
Unread 03-04-2002, 05:12 PM
its a foreign language

Hi Amanda

Welcome to Hystersisters!! Sungrl's advice about looking into other options is very good advice, and to suggest that you visit our Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives Forum if you haven't already found it.

Here's a link to that forum:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...p?s=&forumid=4

It is important to feel comfortable with the procedure that your doctor is recommending, and if you are not, then I would encourage you to learn all you can here on this site and then write down your questions and take them with you to your next visit. You could then hand him your list and ask him to go over it with you. That might be easier for you.

Please keep us informed. Good Luck with your decision.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Hi Amanda

When ever I find a term I am not familiar with I refer to http://google.com , it is a really great search engine. If you type in fibroids, you will find a wealth of information.

Empower yourself with knowledge!

Bev
Unread 03-04-2002, 08:06 PM
its a foreign language

Hi, Amanda,

We do use a lot of confusing abbreviations here, and sometimes it does seem like a foreign language.

Here's a link to commonly used abbreviations:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...?s=&forumid=23

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 03-05-2002, 04:23 AM
its a foreign language

Hi Amanda,
I too have huge fibroids..and I took my sweet time making the decision to go ahead with a Hyster. Since I didn't suffer from the heavy bleeding my Doc never tried to "push me" to make a decision. Over the last 6 months the pain and pressure was really starting to interfer with my quality of life. My abdomen was growing larger and larger..but still I waited. Finally, after not being able to sleep on my stomach and painful sex, I decided to ask him more detailed questions. His answer to me was "are you ready now?" And I found I said "YES"!!
I started researching out on the net, came upon this website and am confident I have made the best decision for me. But I took my time and never felt rushed to make the decision. As the other sisters have mentioned, check out alternatives as well. There are a lot.
Good luck to you

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register