Newbie Nerves! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie Nerves! Newbie Nerves!

Unread 03-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Newbie Nerves!

Hello Ladies,
I only found this site yesterday and I am so relieved. I am facing a lot of decisions and I'm not sure my Dr understands my situation.
First, background:
I am 31 YO, married and husband had vasectomy in '96 after 3rd child. I do not want any more children. I have had problems (forever it seems) and had my first laporoscomy in 94 or 95. This was before baby #3 and I wanted another child, so my then OB/GYN and I decided to try birth control therapy. I did this for a while with bad migraines from the pill and quit the pill to have baby#3. (Fast forward to present)

The last few months have been really bad for me and I have had every test you can think of for colon/intestines and another Lapo last week with an apendectomy with both my general surgeon and my new OB/GYN.
The new OB/GYN is recommending drug therapy to buy me time. (I can not think of the name right now...starts with an L, has lots of side effects including bone loss and is only recommended for 6 months of usage.)

This is not something I want to do for several reasons...I don't feel like I have job security (they have been having layoffs right and left at work and due to my health, my attendance has suffered) and I have good insurance right now...I've already had a problem with breaking bones...and why use a drug that only postpones the necessary. We know that I will have to have this done due to my endo, etc.

My doc says she thinks I should consider the drug because I'm young and you can use artificial hormones, but they are never the same as your own real hormones...

Another issue is my family history: Mom, aunt, maternal and paternal grandmother and my 29 year old sister have all had to have hysterectomies. (my sister had surgery Dec. 2001)

Sorry to post such a long post, but I'm nervous and confused and feeling pressured to delay something that I feel I'm ready to do.

Thanks for listening and any feedback or advice would be appreciated.
Shana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Newbie Nerves!

The name of the drug is Lupron. I am on it right now.. only doing a 2 month trial of it. Off for my Hyster 4-23-02. It does cause some side effects: hot flashes, vaginal dryness, bone loss, joint aches and pains (not anything I can't manage). For me: joint pain. Vaginal lubrication was like a gushing gyser at first, and now more like the sahara desert (get ky or astroglide if you do Lupron). For the first 2 weeks or so, hormone levels increase, then drop off to those similar to menopause levels.

Please know that everyone here is fantastic, and someone has almost always been through the same situation.. if not exactly, pretty darn close. I was very leary of trying Lupron, but knew I had to do something instead of being doped up on pain killers cause of my endometriosis. Ask your doc about maybe trying the Lupron for half the time, 3 months instead of 6. I started Lupron Feb 15th and can already tell a difference in the pain (its not severe anymore). I go for my last and final shot on March 15th and of course hyster on 4-23. Big 's for you and will be saying ers for you. Let us know what happens. And welcome to HysterSisters!

try checking this site out: http://www.lupron.com
Unread 03-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Hi Shana

You have come to the right place. Read, Read, Read that is the first instructions. Lots of the ladies have taken Lupron I personally haven't so you should get a lot of replies. I would make a list of pros and cons and then sit down with the DR and tell him your reasons why you want the surgery now instead of in a few years. Also listen to what he has to say sometimes they know what is best for you. Discussion is the best thing for you with your DR. God Bless and let us know about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:52 PM
Newbie Nerves!

Hi Shana, I thought I was reading my post when you first started out! I am 31 also, only 2 kids, hubby had a vasectomy in 96 after second child, we didn't want anymore either. I was having problems with pain, and having nasty periods. Had a lap done to check for endo, couldn't rule it out is what I was told. It was suggested that I try the Lupron also, told him no thanks!! I have read to much about it and the side affects. I also know someone that took it several years ago and has had many problems since. I decided for me I wouldn't do it. I have heard of others who have used it and it worked well for them though. It is only a temporary fix though. I finally had my tah/bso last month, six days after my 31st birthday. I am really happy that I finally did it, found out I had cysts on my ovaries ( I knew that, I also have pcos, and get cysts that come and go.) Was also found to have adenomyosis, so now I know where some of the other pain was coming from. He took everything so I am on hrt, my ovaries gave me nothing but problems. I have been doing well on the hrt. Now my Mom rags on me about the fact that I got to go through meno before her, oh well, hopefully soon.
Do as much research as you can before hand so you can make the right choice for you. This sight was wonderful for me, I came in to this blind, and stayed on here for hours at a time when I first found it. Good luck!! Remember, it is your body and you have to be the one to decide!!
Unread 03-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Newbie Nerves! THANKS :)

Hello and thank you to all the ladies who have posted and emailed me with their kind thoughts and support.
I really look foward to spending more time reading here, learning and making new friends.
You have made me feel welcome and very comfortable.
Thanks for your support!!!
Shana

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register