HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Infections after Cystocele/Rectocele Repair, and lumpy/bumpiness bumming me out. Infections after Cystocele/Rectocele Repair, and lumpy/bumpiness bumming me out.

Unread 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Unhappy - Infections after Cystocele/Rectocele Repair, and lumpy/bumpiness bumming me out. Infections after Cystocele/Rectocele Repair, and lumpy/bumpiness bumming me out.

Hi Sisters,

Deep breath. I've been lurking for a long time but I think it's time to jump in! I'm 3 1/2 weeks post-op from a cystocele/rectocele repair. Both my urethra and bladder needed mesh support (I have a great doc, and felt very satisfied with his justification of using it). I went in informed and don't regret the surgery; I'd had chronic pain from urethral issues relating to my misplaced bladder. I just felt a little bitter, because I'd believed that after my hysterectomy, there was nothing left to go wrong down there. I had a traumatic birth 11 years ago, and apparently that coupled with my tendency to overdo lifting (like, a sofa up the stairs by myself...) caused the problem.

The hysterectomy recovery felt traumatic at the time, but in about 3 weeks I was 90% myself, back to work, no real swelling. It was laparascopic, I kept my cervix/ovaries, and I felt like myself.

This is a horse of a different color! I have had 18 days of cipro, 14 days of fluconazole, 7 of keflex, 7 of flagyl, 7 of clindamycin. I knew I wouldn't be able to lift, but assumed that I would at least feel o.k. to walk around for more than 20 minutes by now. I have a bacterial vaginal infection and uti that won't respond to antibiotics and a persistent yeast infection. The metroniazole made me really, really sick for the week I took it, and I'm worried about a C. Diff infection now from taking so many antibiotics (haven't had a solid bm in a week, without softeners). And still this infection hasn't gone away! Has anyone else had experience with a stubborn vaginal infection after pelvic repairs? I've added strong probiotics to the mix, but it hasn't seemed to help. I'm at wits end, because my sutures/vulva are both inflamed in addition to the expected swelling.

Today I had a small tissue clot, so I braved up and gently checked my sutures with a well washed finger. They seem fine, but my god, my vagina feels like a war zone! My doctor said I would need to use vaginal dilators after surgery due to the extent of the repairs and tissue available, but I had no idea--it's a lump, bumpy, tightly constricted mess. He also says that the sutures will dissolve at 8 weeks, after which everything will feel more "relaxed" and I'll be able to start using the dilators. I can't possibly imagine how this will resolve in 4 1/2 weeks, and I start teaching for the fall semester (3 hours a week) in 6 weeks. At onset, I was told no sex for 8 weeks, so I guess in my mind that meant everything would be healed in 8 weeks.

So bumming/freaking out. Going back to the doctor tomorrow morning. Any advice or reassurance on the infections or the sense that my lady parts are a demolition site would be so, so appreciated.

Much love,
Your anxious sister.
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Re: Infections after Cystocele/Rectocele Repair, and lumpy/bumpiness bumming me out.

Hi anxioussister

Yep - I can imagine how lumpy/bumpy you're vagina is feeling right now!

Remember you've had a lot of surgery done, with mesh introduced too, so it's bound to take a while for the incisions to heal up and settle down.

I recently had a TVT tape put in and only a couple of sutures needed but they took about 10-12 weeks to go completely - apparently I'm a slow healer

I remember following my first episiotomy, I was still bleeding at 12 weeks from the granulation tissue - I was recommended to gently massage the area to try and soften and stretch the tissues. I'm guessing using the dilators will help you too

Having an infection is likely to delay your healing and feeling well, so try and be patient, I'm sure things will settle.

Take care and look after yourself x
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Re: Infections after Cystocele/Rectocele Repair, and lumpy/bumpiness bumming me out.

Salad,

I can relate--I tore all the way back during childbirth, and for this repair I also had to have my perineum essentially reconstructed, which reminds me very much of my postpartum recovery. The stitches for the tear healed smoothly, so I'll try to remember that when contemplating my current anxieties.

Unread 07-11-2013, 04:54 AM

Anxious sister. Hello, I am 5 weeks post-op from repairs too, fortunately I haven't had any infections, but can imagine your frustration that they are taking a long time to clear up. I was told this time, stitches usually last up to 92 days, it was longer than that for me after my previous repair surgery, going to physiotherapy this time next week for advice and dilators, it will be worth it lol, can't wait to be active again in all sense of the word. Obviously I won't be compromising by recovery this time, some huge weeds in my garden and a house that is crying out for attention will have to stay that way. I am certain that the use of estrogen cream is helping enourmously, you didn't mention if you have been prescribed it, forgive me if you know about it already. Keep well x
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyLady View Post
I was told this time, stitches usually last up to 92 days... I am certain that the use of estrogen cream is helping enourmously, you didn't mention if you have been prescribed it, forgive me if you know about it already. Keep well x
Hi JulyLady,

I appreciate the suggestion I've heard good things about estrogen cream, but I think my estrogen levels are still good (29 and both ovaries intact)...is it still useful in that situation? Hm...I'll ask the doc when I go in. My doc says he used 8 week stitches, so they should dissolve sometime around then...he wants tissue formation on the mesh support before they dissolve. 13 weeks would drive me crazy, you're a brave lady, and I wish you the best with your recovery

Crossing my fingers that the doc has a bright idea to get rid of these stubborn infections; I'm also asking about vaginal form antibiotics this time instead of oral, hoping they might be more effective down there and wreak less havoc on the rest of my system. We shall see!
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Yes, I have the mesh too, difficult decision to make, but like you, an informed decision and placed by an expert, a very experienced surgeon. I had intravenous anti-biotics in hospital as a precautionary measure, really hope you can be free of infection soon, I am trying to be patient with the stitches thing, they drag down quite a bit at times, we are in this for the long haul. Regarding the estrogen cream, I am told it is only absorbed in to the surrounding tissues, and I have read posts on here from Sisters using both types of hrt, We are all different and what works for us or is suitable is individual, please update when you can xx
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Ok, so...the vaginal infections still haven't resolved. The plan is to try the metrogel version of metroniazole, since the oral made me so sick and the clinadmycin did zip.

Good part: doctors says the uti is gone, all my sutures look good, my swelling has decreased, and I'm down to ONE antibiotic + flucanazole

He also says all the yanking feelings will go away when stitches dissolve, though some heaviness/swelling after activity can stick around for months.

I asked about the estrogen cream, he didn't think I needed it, but said ask about any ideas/whatever whenever I want, which is a top reason I like this doctor! Also, the probiotics are a good adjunctive therapy and keep 'em up.

JulyLady, thanks for the followups, and I hope you're doing well today yourself!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.