pre-op visit | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-04-2002, 08:23 PM
pre-op visit

Well, I guess I am ready. I had my pre-op visit with my doctor today. My husband attended. My doctor was impressed with my list of questions. I had 41. Surgery is to be April 10. He says I will only stay in the hospital overnight. I am concerned with that. Granted it is a vaginal hyst. but I am also having a Burch procedure (bladder suspension). Has anyone ever heard of someone going home that soon? My doctor told me that he would not send me home unless I was ready. I hope I am ready. I am trying to get alot of stuff done prior to surgery, painting , painting, cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning and painting. I almost feel like I am getting the nesting that I got right before I gave birth. Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:28 PM
pre-op visit

Hi Barb, please don't worry. You sound like you have everything SO together! Your probably just got a standard pre-authorization from your insurance company for one night in the castle, but I'm sure he knows how to get that extended. You're right, one night is quick when you're having the bladder procedure, but not unheard of. I stayed 2 nights, and I think that's the average (there's a thread around here somewhere that was a poll about how many nights people spent at the castle after surgery). If your doesn't think you're ready to go home (and if he asks you how you feel, don't go trying to be "tough" and acting like you're ok if you're really not) he will make sure you can stay longer. Try to relax and focus on how beautiful you'll look with that new crown on!
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-04-2002, 08:31 PM
pre-op visit

That's great, you had so many questions for your doctor! A sign of an intelligent
One night stay doesn't seem very long, but if he says he won't send you home if your not ready I wouldn't worry too much.
I go in this Weds. for a TVH BSO and I am hoping I only have to stay one night, but my doctor said two. I am not having anything done with my bladder though. I'll keep you in my prayers!
I've been cleaning my whole house too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Hi Barb

You know in a way you are nesting. You know what needs to be done and you are getting ready for it. You know what you will need when you get home and you seem like you have taken care of all that. You are ready and waiting for that shiny new crown. God Bless and let us know how things go.
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:57 PM
Pre-surgery energy

Wow.. I thought I was weird. My surgery is in 6 days. I can't go to sleep, I am cleaning out boxes of paper that have been stored for three years and even having new tile installed in the bathroom. But I can't stay focused on anything!

Good luck to you all in your surgeries. I guess we can rest afterward
Unread 03-05-2002, 12:15 AM
pre-op visit

HaHa, I can't sleep either. We have the same surgery date. I too am cleaning everything that can be cleaned!!! I also feel a need to go to the grocery store and "stock up", even tho I will have plenty of help afterwards I still feel like I need to be sooo prepared.
Unread 03-05-2002, 01:12 AM
pre-op visit

My TAH/BSO IS mARCH 12TH I am like you girls. I have iterally got all the groceries an cleaned till I am tired and still find myself only getting 4 hours of sleep. Getting anxious and still worried about the pain and recovery afterwards.
Unread 03-05-2002, 02:38 AM
pre-op visit

Hi Barb,
It looks like we're all doing the same thing! I have cleaned, shopped, finished projects that were started... I must have bought a months worth of groceries & things that DD & DS can attempt to cook themselves (9 & 10yr olds). Even the new laundry tablets so they can wash clothes & not have to measure! All this nesting & not sleeping the surgery/recovery is starting to look like a vacation! I have my new tummy pillow, new nightie & robe, an outfit to come home from the castle, & even slip on sneakers so I don't have to bend. I don't think I've ever been so prepared!
My Dr. wanted told me originally he has patients stay 2-3 nights. Well insurance only approved 2. Dr. said don't worry about it. If you need more time he would work it out. I'm sure they have their ways! Let him worry about that, you just keep nesting!
My prayers are with you & everyone else!
Barb
Unread 03-05-2002, 04:04 AM
pre-op visit

I had a TAH and had my surgery last Wednesday morning. Wow, almost a week ago. I was sitting up Wednesday night, walking Thursday day and home Friday morning.

Don't worry, your doctor won't release you if he feels you aren't ready!

Just a tip from my doctor. I walked right before bed Thursday night and used my ICS breathing thing. My temperature was not raised up when they did my vitals in the middle of the night. He told me that is where some people get a day longer. Something about walking and doing that breathing thing makes your temp. stay down I guess.

Good luck!

Sara
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:00 AM
pre-op visit

I had enough ffo, soap, toilet paper in the house hubby said if there was a nucleur war we could survive for years on what I stocked up on post op. lol

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register