ademyosis | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:25 AM
ademyosis

Hi everyone,
looking for some info on ademyosis[spelling?]
What is it and how is it diognosed?
Is it different than fibroids?Thanks once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 05:57 AM
ademyosis

Hi,

Adenomyosis is an internal endometriosis. I guess abnormal bleeding is one of the signs, that is what I had. I think it used to be the only way they could tell if you had this was if you had a hysterectomy and they send it for pathology. Now I think they can use an MRI or catscan or something. I think it's in the muscle, or wall, of the uterus. It is not the same thing as fibroids. Your doctor can tell you more about it.

Hope that was a little bit helpful!

cyaple
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:21 AM
Adenomyosis

Hi there Ronnie

Adenomyosis is the presence of endometrial glands and supporting tissues in the muscle of the uterus where it would not occur normally. When the gland tissue grows during the menstrual cycle and then at menses tries to slough, the old tissue and blood cannot escape the uterine muscle and flow out of the cervix as part of normal menses. This trapping of the blood and tissue causes uterine pain in the form of monthly menstrual cramps. It also produces abnormal uterine bleeding when some of the blood finally escapes the muscle resulting in prolonged spotting. It more often occurs in the posterior wall of the uterus.

The background incidence of adenomyosis in all women either with or without symptoms is not known precisely because only in recent years has MRI imaging been able to diagnose

Hope this helps you some

take care
Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 11:22 AM
ademyosis

Thank you for explaining that! I just got back from the doctor and the pathology report said I had adeno...so now I know what it is...no wonder I was in pain!

Sara
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Adenmyosis

Thank Goodness someone knows what it is. It was hard to understand the difference between that and Endometriosis. My surgery is March 19th Lap total hysterctomy. New here at hystersisters but glad I found you all.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register