RSD and SAH | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-05-2002, 06:02 AM
RSD and SAH

I'm scheduled for surgery on March 14th and my preop visit is this Wednesday. For the last 4 years I've had RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy). What I need to know is if anyone has any info on how to make things go smoothly with this pain disease. I'm on a bunch of heavy duty meds including narcotics like Oxycontin. How will this affect the surgery/anestethia? Thanks for all your hard work, the site is wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 12:23 PM
RSD and SAH

Hi Ahava,

I have the same surgery date as you. Sorry I can't help you with your question. I had never heard of RSD. Does it cause constant pain? I hope someone here will be able to help you, otherwise I would hope your Dr. will be able to give you some idea of what to expect.

I wish you all the best for your surgery and a fast recovery.

Take care.
Mega s
Unread 03-05-2002, 11:35 PM
RSD

Thanks for the good wishes and the same back to you! Yes, RSD causes constant pain, it's as if the messages from the brain after an injury never shut down. My concern about the surgery is that RSD pain can increase from any new pain experienced. My surgeon says, "not to worry, that it's not a problem" but she hasn't lived with this for the last four years. I'm afraid that by concentration on the RSD and medications problems I'm letting the actual surgery and the problems that are causing it slide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 07:31 AM
I have RSD...

I actually got it from the tah/bso. (I'm not saying this will happen to you).

However, I'm familiar with RSD and as you know any type of invasive surgery or injury of any kind can worsen RSD. Your gyn/surgeon may not be well versed with RSD.

Have you thought about a second opinion?

Anyone with RSD needs a "team" of doctors (neurologists, anesthesiologists, gyn/surgeon, etc) for proper care to ensure the RSD doesn't become worse and more importantly that if you truly NEED this surgery (and isn't a quality of life issue) that you will be properly treated for pain. You will require much higher levels of pain medication than you're avg Joe - but you know that, right?

If it's a quality of life issue - you might want to get a second opinion anyway to ensure that you don't have other less invasive options at your disposal.

Here's some links on RSD and surgery that you might find helpful:

RSD and gyn problems

RSD and surgery RSD and osteo

RSD and gyn - ps I have this...

Before going thru with any surgery with this disease...you need to make sure the people you will be dealing with during your surgery (if you have it) KNOW about RSD and how to treat it and YOU.
Unread 03-07-2002, 03:38 AM
RSD and Pre-op visit with a surprise

Thanks for the info. I had my pre-op visit today and I AM concerned that the surgeon doesn't take the RSD issue seriously enough. She kept saying that with the SAH procedure most of her patients don't even fill their post op pain Rx. I've aked to meet with the anestheologist before the magic day but they aren't choosen until the night before. I made a fuss and the nurse is going to try to get one of the docs from the anestheology practice to call me, although they don't know if the one that calls will end up doing the surgery. I have some other issues-like how my arms will be placed, (that's where the injuries and RSD are) mitral valve prolapse and a history of lung problems that I'd like to address also.

The reason for the SAH is that I've become very anemic from the heavy bleeding. Four years ago I had an emergency procedure to remove fibroids and at that time had to have blood transfustions before they would even do the surgery. According to the doctor this will just keep happening if I don't have the SAH now.

The big surprise at today's visit was that although the dr had originally said that all she was going to remove was my uterus the consent form mentioned removing my ovaries also. I've been doing my homework all week on this site and others for the original surgery but hadn't even looked into this issue. I told the dr I wanted to think about it and would let her know before the surgery date. I'm mostly concerned about the hormones-my mom had breast cancer and I've heard that this is an indication to avoid hormone treatment. The dr. said that this wasn't true, but I need more info!

Thanks for your support!
Unread 03-11-2002, 08:06 AM
RSD and SAH

Your dr. doesn't sound like she is taking this seriously. If you have the option to get an epidural you will not have any surgical pain from the hysterectomyfor 24 hrs. post. You can talk to the anesthesiologist the morning of surgery. If you are already on oxycontin other meds may seem like candy and you may have to bring your own oxycontin with you to the hospital. By the end of the first week I was able to just deal with extra strength tylenol for pain but did fill my prescription of percocet (not as strong as oxycontin) I've read of the dangers associated with oxycontin so please don't mix this with other pain meds unless your dr. (preferrably the one who has prescribed the oxycontin) says it's ok.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register