my castle story | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my castle story my castle story

Unread 03-05-2002, 08:44 AM
my castle story

Hi ladies. Had my tah on 3/1/02 at 7:45 am. first one of the day. When dh and I got to the hospital, we started out in ambulatory surgery, because floor where I was supposed to be was full. Anyway nurse came in gave me a shot of heparin in tummy and a pair of lovely stockings(which I ended up wearing the entire time I was at castle) and slippers to put on. Anesthesiologist came in to talk to me, after that I said goodbye to dh and was whisked into operating room. I barely remember my doc coming in the room when the iv started dripping and I was out. Two seconds later I woke up in recovery in PAIN. The nurses in recovery kept telling me to breathe deep to get the full effect of the oxygen in my nose. Apparently, I was breathing very shallow and my blood pressure was sky high. Anyway, after an hour or so I was in my hospital room. Dh was there as were my in-laws, but I barely remember it. They had me hooked up to a morphine pump and told me to push button whenever I felt pain. Yeah, okay, I was pushing the thing constantly. That night didn't get much better. Finally , after the next shift of nurses came in, one nurse came in and gave me a shot of toradol, still on the morphine pump and that seemed to help, so I could sleep for a while. Woke up about 6 am sat. sick as a dog, and feeling very edgy and weepy. Nurse said it might be from the morphine, as she has seen that a lot, and maybe i should not use the pump anymore. she brought me some orange juice. I drank that right away, because I was so thirtsty, and proceeded to throw that right up. Disconnected the morphine pump, and started me on percoset pills and toradol shots. Nurse came in about 9 am to get me up for the first time (very hard, but it got easier each time I did it) They also took that catheter out(hated that thing), burns a little coming out too. My doc came in about noon on sat, and I begged him to take out that jp vaginal drain. (anyone else have that? , lots of fun wasn't it) Anyway, he said it would reduce risk of infection if i left it in for another day, so he talked me into it. the more I walked that day, the better I felt, so I tried to walk a lot. Nurses were impressed. The doctor removed my bandage so I got my first look at incision with my mirror. Not too bad. horizontal , about 8 staples, and they look just like staples too. Later that evening , my incision started buring real bad, and I thing it was from walking so much, so I retired to my bed for the remainder of the night. I didn't sleep much though, very hard to get comfortable on my back , and impossible to sleep on my side like I'm used to. The next morning all I wanted to do was go home and get in my own bed. Doc had said if all was well, he would release me on sun, but I still hadn't passed gas as of yet and I knew he wouldn't let me go unless I did. So I got up and walked and walked and walked and drank glass after glass of water, and about 2 hours later(11 am) it finally happened. I passed gas. yippee. I called dh and said bring clothes. i'm outta here. (hopefully, still had to see doc) Doc came in and said okay Marie, are you ready to go home. He took jp drain out (OUCH) and then he said he was taking staples out and putting steri-tapes on. I was like WHAT ALREADY. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even feel him taking them out. It didn't hurt , not one little bit. I asked him are you sure this incision isn't going to open up. He said I hope not, then laughed a little. I gotta admit. I'm a little paranoid about this incision just bursting open. Came home sunday about 1:30 pm. stopped on the way home and dh got my scripts filled. vicoden every 4 hrs as needed and 800 mg. ibuprofen every 6 to 8 hrs. I've been taking both pretty regularly since I got home. Today, Im going to try to go without the vicoden, because I still haven't had a bowel movement, and I have gas pains pretty bad. I tried a ducolax suppository on my doc's advice the day I got home, but no real progress with that . will try another one today. Does anyone have any advice on what else i can take to move my bowels along. I thinK it would help lot if i could just go. Well , that's my castle experience. All in all not bad. I had some nurses who were wonderful and others who should not be allowed to be anywhere near patients. Waiting truly was the hardest part. I"m so grateful for this site. Thank you all so much for all your support and help. Gonna go rest now, and try that suppository again when I get up. Hope it works this time. Thanks again. Marie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 08:54 AM
my castle story

Yay, Marie, you did it! You made it out the other side! I'm envious.

I'm so glad it wasn't too bad. Sounds like there were some rough spots, but at least it's over!

s and wishes for a rapid and comfortable recovery --

Melissa
Unread 03-05-2002, 09:02 AM
my castle story

Lucky Princess,

I still have 5 days to wait. Doesn't sound so bad. I go in on Monday and dr said if I was a good little I could go home on Wednesday.

I hope I do as well as you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 09:03 AM
CONGRATS!!!!!

Hi there Marie

Welcome to the other side Now its time to heal and be pampered.

sounds like you made it like a champ. I am glad you got threw this well and are home and recoverying

Keep us posted on how your doing

Michele
Unread 03-05-2002, 01:11 PM
my castle story

Welcome Home Princess Marie,
I am so glad to hear that you are home and doing well. I am sorry you had some rough times, but that is behind you now, and now you need to concentrate on the healing process.
Don't forget that Princess training be sure and get lots of and lots of water and juice, and take short little s for recovery.
Enjoy being pampered.
Unread 03-05-2002, 03:14 PM
my castle story

Thanks for a real visit to hysterland. I'm scheduled for April 2nd and am scared to death. Just found out last week I'd have to do it. Mine is for uterine prolapse so I get to keep my ovaries and remain perimenopausal. Mine will be vaginal so don't know how it will compare to yours. Just found this site today and am beginning to exhale (a little). It's great because I don't personally know anyone who's had this done so I have no one to talk to who understands how I feel. Right now I still feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone - are you too young to remember that show? Anyway, I hit the big 5-0 this year and lately when people ask me how I'm going to celebrate I tell them when I hit 40 I got happily pregnant and at 50 I'm having a hysterectomy! Good luck.
Unread 03-05-2002, 07:09 PM
my castle story

I'm glad that everything went well for you. Thanks for your story, when I hear things like that I only receive encouragement. Rest and relaxation for awhile.
Hugs

Lisa Ado

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register