Help!! I Don't Know What To Think | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!!  I Don't Know What To Think Help!! I Don't Know What To Think

Unread 03-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Help!! I Don't Know What To Think

Hello Sisters...

I just got a call from my dr. and he got the results of the internal ultrasound from yesterday and said no fibroids, my ovaries look good, and he said he knows that I am going through all the pain and heavy periods (for last 7 yrs) and clotting beyond belief, pain during sex and just feeling so run down all of the time. He suspects adenomyosis and said it is hard to diagnose and possibly wouldn't know for sure till after hyster. I have gone to this dr for 12+ yrs and feel so comfortable with him. Do you think I am crazy that I told him to go ahead and schedule a hyster. He is the kind of dr that makes this mine and dh total decision. I have a 10yr dd and 8 yr step dd so no more children are in our future. I am 35 (36 next week) and I can't take the unknown everyday with bleeding and pain. Have any of you had all these symptons or some of them and nothing show on ultrasound? We have our own new construction cleaning business and I want to get this over. I don't want to always take birth-control pills just to stop bleeding. As my dh has had a vasectomy and I don't need to take them.. Am I totally weird for going on with the surgery??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 12:49 PM

I am having a TVH tomorrow for the exact same reasons. The only thing they could tell me from my ultrasound for sure is that my uterus if swollen. I decided that I did not want to live the rest of my life with any kind of pain regrdless of what it is caused by. I hope this helps I'm a little nervous about tomorrow but I know in my heart that I made the right decision. Also my dr. did let me know that on an ultrasound there is no way of telling if you have endo or not as well.
Unread 03-05-2002, 12:52 PM

Hey Rox, you sound like me. The did a lap to see what was going on, couldn't find anything but a little scar tissue, said he couldn't rule out endo, but didn't see any. Had really bad, sharp shooting pains, killer periods, run down all the time, and forget sex (I avoided it at all costs!) Did have small cysts on ovaries but they came and went. I had my hyst in Jan TAH/BSO 6 days after my 31st birthday. Path came back and found out I had adenomyosis. I am almost 7 weeks post op right now and feel pretty good. Still getting tired, a little sore, but otherwise pain free! I don't regret it a bit. I have two kids also, 12 and 6, hubby had a vasectomy in 96, so we hadn't planned on anymore either. I tried birth control pills too, was taking them continuously (no placebo) to make me stop having periods but then I just spotted for seven months. Just couldn't take it anymore!! So no, I don't think you are crazy for going through with it. I know for me, I was ready to get it over with, and don't regret it one bit. Good luck in whatever you decide. Email me if you like noelheyer@aol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 01:10 PM

hi,it's my 6th postop day..my ultrasound was not real conclusive,either,except to show that the right ovary was a mess,and the left was not too bad..the uterus was enlarged,the doctor thought it was adenomyosis..

they got in there,and the left ovary ended up being a bigger problem,and was taken out,and a whole lot of other stuff..

bottom line is,they sometimes just can't tell till they get in there,and take a look..they had everything but my tonsils on that consent form,to cover everything if they encountered it once they went in..good thing they did,cuz I said,you're sure not waking m e up in the middle,or getting me back in again

No,I don't think you're wierd,everybody questions the validity of what they are doing..that's normal!!

Cynthia
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:10 PM

when I had my first ultrasound done in Oct. 2001 the DR said all I had was a enlarged uterous that I needed to keep a eye on to come back in six months. I did not think waiting six months was a good ideal so I went to another DR. I went for my second ultrasound the first of Dec. When I went back to the DR he said I had a large fibroid and wanted me to go get another ultrasoud to see how fast it was growing to see what needed to be done. So I went for my third ultrasound the first of Jan. when I went back to the DR on Jan. 7th the fibroid had grown to the size of a vollyball. Because the fibroid was growing so fast the DR was afraid that it might be cancer. So I was sent to a Cancer Spec. to have the surgury done on the 17th of Jan.
I think there was a lot of time wasted, time for the fibroid to grow. For this reason they had to cut lots more like 10-12 in" instead of the 6-8in".
So, I think it is a good thing you are going ahead. And it is great not to have that monthly visitor.
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:21 PM

First of all....

I think you really like and trust your doctor...which is wonderful. I think you really want relief from all this pain...perfectly understandable! But I'm hearing that you have a teensy weensy nagging doubt in there somewhere.

The idea of a second opinion doesn't mean you don't trust your doctor or his/her diagnosis. It gives you a more objective viewpoint and more information with which to make the right decision for you! Please consider getting another opinion. It may offer you some additional options you hadn't considered, or it may reinforce what you've already pretty much decided. Either way, you win. It will give you the peace of mind you need.

Also, try running a search using our search engine (little purple button at the top right of each page) on adenomyosis. You will turn up MANY good threads that may help you gain more understanding of the symptoms & treatments.

Get all the tools you need to be comfortable with your decision. This is a BIG life-changing, permanent surgery, and you want to be 100% sure!

Karen
Unread 03-05-2002, 06:44 PM

I don't mean for this to be a stupid question, but what is adenomyosis?
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:19 PM

Adenomyosis is where there uterine lining actually grows into the inner lining of the uterus, and therefore cannot be shed out during the menstrual flow. It is kind of like internal endometriosis. I had this condition, but like many of the others, it was not diagnosed until after surgery. My ultrasound only showed 1 small fibroid, and an enlarged uterus. My symptoms where very heavy periods, periods getting increasingly longer in length, very bad cramps, and bloating in my belly.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 03-05-2002, 10:00 PM

I had a vaginal ultrasound (and pelvic ultrasound) and only showed that my uterus was approximately 12 week preg. size. That was all they said, but my doc and I knew things weren't right so I went ahead with the hyster. He found fibroids inside the uterus, cysts on one ovary and endo everywhere! No one can make your decision for you, but I just wanted to let you know the ultrasounds don't see everything and something is causing your misery. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

God Bless, Kim
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:04 AM

I had a half dozen ultrasounds for pelvic pain and all that was ever found was enlarged ovaries covered in small cysts. Our clinic told me I could not possibly be in pain for that. I kept getting pssed off to some other doc who would say the same thing. When I finally went to a real GYN he told me when you can't see anything on ultrasound and there is still a problem you need to go in and take a look. Lo and behold, when he went in to look around I had adhesions from the lowest point of pelvic area all the way up to my liver. He also said my ovaries were incredibly enlarged and polycystic. His words: "No wonder you were in such terrible pain." So, maybe a lap would be a better diagnostic tool for you?

Hugs,
JoAnn
TAH/BSO 3/13

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register