Prolapsed Uterus | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapsed Uterus Prolapsed Uterus

Unread 03-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Prolapsed Uterus

Just found this site a few minutes ago and like it already. Found out last week I need the surgery - I join the club April 2nd. My problem is uterine prolapse - have had it about 7 years. Thought hysterectomy was an option, not a necessity. My doctor says I've been living in denial. I don't really know how I feel. Have a pre-op appointment March 11th so I guess I'll get more answers then. I'm actually at this moment having what will probably be my last period and I have mixed feelings. I've certainly complained about its inconvenience enough over the years but it still somehow makes me feel a little sad. I'm perimenopausal anyway so it's not like I would have had it much longer anyway. But I have had it for about 38 years so it will be hard to all of a sudden lose it. I'm lucky enough to have 2 beautiful, healthy daughters and don't really NEED my uterus but I'm still feeling sad. And I have to say the surgery scares me. The thought of being put under for 3 or 4 hours is scarey and the thought of laying around for weeks doing nothing will drive me crazy! I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with a prolapsed uterus and has had the surgery already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Prolapsed Uterus

Hi Godiva, you are so lucky to have found this site before your surgery. I found it a few days after mine and it has helped me a lot. I had a TVH/BSO/A&P repair/resuspension for a 3rd degree prolapse, cystocele and rectocele. Even though I am still recovering and have had a few problems, overall I have to say I am already glad I did it. The biggest thrill was when I was only about a week post surgery and I suddenly sneezed, and tried to cross my legs fast (I'm sure you can relate) and I didn't make it in time, and NOTHING HAPPENED! That alone was worth all the discomfort and inconvenience of surgery and recovery. Also, your sad feelings are very normal. Like you, I was perimenopausal and didn't want any more children anyway, but still having the choice taken away so abruptly is difficult to accept at first. Please feel free to email me any time if you have specific questions, and good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Prolapsed Uterus

I didn't realize how much discomfort mine was causing me until it was gone. It was stage 3. Wow, where is all that pressure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Prolapsed Uterus

Dear Godiva,

Welcome to HysterSisters Here are some links with more info about prolapse:

http://www.pelvicfloor.com/
http://www.wdxcyber.com/nurine08.htm
http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/choiceforprolapse
http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/

My prolapsed uterus was removed during a vaginal hysterectomy (TVH). My doc said prolapse victims are EXCELLENT candidates for the less invasive vaginal hysts due to the falling uterus. The surgery took about 45 minutes, and I did not require any extra repairs.

85% of hysterectomies are electivem done for quality of life reasons, not to SAVE a life. It's very normal to feel emotional about this surgery... lots of fears... but keep reading & posting. The ladies here will support you during your journey

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:16 PM
me too

I found out I had a second degree prolapse, the end of January. I never suspected it could cause so many problems!! I had surgery 18 days ago. I didn't realize the extent of the discomfort it caused me until after surgery. I have no more stress incontinence, and even with the pain of surgery, most of the pelvec pressure I felt is gone. I also have had chronic back pain for the last 10 years. It was diagnosed as everything from arthritis to lupus. Since surgery, NO back pain unless I overdo!
As sad as it is to lose the option of having children, I feel that getting rid of the pain and misery that the condition caused me(even tho I didn't realize it at the time), made the surgery worth while. Just keep reading, here, there is a lot of valuable information and support. Good luck with your surgery and recovery and keep us posted.
Kelkie(Kelly)
Unread 03-06-2002, 07:07 AM
Prolapsed Uterus

Thanks everybody for the good thoughts. I'm becoming obsessed with this subject. I can't seem to turn it off for very long at a time. Everything I've been feeling the past week made me think I was going overboard and being ridiculous but since finding this site yesterday I feel normal! I can't wait to be a post-op Princess! Keep the posts coming. Thanks!
Unread 03-06-2002, 12:00 PM
I have Up too!

Hi Godiva!
I have a stage 2 UP, cystocele, rectocele and possible endometriosis and adhesions. I have also suffered from heavy bleeding and have had two ablations, most recently in Oct. 2001. I have gotten a lot of advice from the ladies at UPRISE. Many of them have had surgeries that failed. So when all 3 of the Dr.s suggested the same surgery, I finally have decided to give it a try. My reg. gyn suggested a TAH and ligament repair, but both of the urogynecologists suggested LAVH and ligament repair. On Moday after my urodynamic testing I scheduled my surgery for March 25. I am in so much pain, that even the hydrocodone isn't making it go away, but it is managable.
I know there are more advanced methods for prolapse repair, but aparently the Dr.s in this area believe that this method will give good results. My Dr. also informed me that he will do an abdominal surgery if he finds endometriosis.
I'm 43 and our 2 sons are grown, and my tubes were tied about 18 years ago. I have had so much trouble with my uterus that I just want it out. My fears are about the reconstruction of my vagina and pain afterward during BM's and urination. Also my UP is pressing on my bladder causing difficulty in urination, I don't have any leakage problems and I'm fearful that something could go wrong and mess up a good working bladder.
Also, they said no pain med 2 weeks before surgery except Tylenol. I don't look forward to that at all! But at least I have a date to look forward to.
Thanks for listening and posting!
Gretchen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register