surgical menopause?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgical menopause?? surgical menopause??

Unread 03-05-2002, 03:44 PM
surgical menopause??

My total LAVH is in two days. My DR wants me to skip HRT, due to a problem with blood clotting and depression. I'm currently taking Zoloft and just want to be prepared. Does surgical menopause start its grip right after surgery, or should I have residual amounts of estrogen in my body for a time afterwards.

Also, any input on severe skin breakouts on face or my lifelong battle with facial hair. Do those problems get replaced with the new challenges, or should I expect them to stay around as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 04:12 PM
surgical menopause??

Hi candip, I think it's different for everybody, that's why HRT can be so hard (or easy) to sort out. For me menopause started when I woke up from surgery in a big hot flash which quickly went away after they put an estrogen patch on me. I have heard of others who have skipped HRT and sailed happily along for quite a while like that.
On the breakouts, I've read posts that go both ways but for me I had a problem with adult acne prior to the surgery and afterwards it cleared up, and I don't know if it's because of the surgery or the HRT but I suspect it's the estrogen.
May I suggest you take a look at some of the posts over at the Hormone Jungle? There are many, many threads that address the issue you've got. I hope it works out for you!
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-05-2002, 04:22 PM
surgical menopause??

My doctor is keeping me off of hrt's until six weeks post op because of endometriosis. I'm four weeks post op right now and can tell you what I've experienced so far. The first couple days home I was more emotional/teary eyed but I've always been that way after having anestisia/morphine etc. Other than that, I've been waiting to be moody/crabby, but it hasn't happened. I'm on celexa an antidepressant, mainly because of always feeling blah which I hope that getting rid of a bunch of huge fibroids and endometriosis will make that feeling stay away, which actually, I haven't felt blah either for a while so maybe it worked. The only symptoms that I've gotten that annoy me are FREEZING COLD at night alot, I mean so cold I'm shaking and even my electric blanket on high won't help. Then I'll wake up soaked with sweat, throw off the covers and start shivering again. But I can deal with that, so far my six week wait has been much easier than I'd expected. I'm 32 years old, so this is a big shock for my body, but so far, it's not really bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 05:45 PM
surgical menopause??

Hi there! Technically, surgical menopause happens when you lose your ovaries. Once they're gone, you're in it!

HRT or no HRT is a huge and complicated issue. To gain some perspective, you should visit our two forums devoted to the in's and out's....The Hormone Jungle, and the No Hormone Jungle Oasis.

The women there are very knowledgable and helpful about exactly these kinds of questions...and by reading the sisters' posts you'll see what you may be facing, whatever decisions you make.

The ladies there will be a huge help to you in making these choices...please stop by!

Karen
Unread 03-06-2002, 06:02 AM
surgical menopause??

My hot flashes began in the hospital and intensified when I went home. They seemed to have toned down a bit but I had my Dr. prescribe effexor to help. I just couldn't see going 6 months experiencing them to that extent. I took my first effexor last night and hope it goes well.
I wasn't expecting the hot flashes in hte hospital. I had read so much about the storage of estrogen causing a delay in symptoms. Guess everyone is different. And some people don't experience any symptoms. Best of luck to you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register