ovaries - to save or not??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries - to save or not??? ovaries - to save or not???

Unread 03-05-2002, 04:04 PM
ovaries - to save or not???

Next week I have my ultrasound and visit to schedule the surgery date, etc. Because of the size of the fibroid we have no choice but to do a TAH.

I am 40 and he told me it is up to me whether to save my ovaries or not. I see a lot of people who have to go back and have another surgery to remove them. I had emergency gallbladder surgery at the end of Sept. and I want this to be the last surgery if at all possible.

I really don't know what to do. Right now my periods are six months apart. For about three years they were every three months. My family doctor told me I was in early menopause. My gyn. is running blood work to see if my hormones are messed up or if I am in menopause.

I know there are a lot of opinions on this and I really need help. I am very much into natural things and cannot see taking estrogen. I will check into herbal things. I am very confused about this.

I have had occassional cysts that one year would be one ovary and a year or two later the other. They would eventually burst on their own with minimum pain. I don't know if this makes a difference.

Thanks for all the help and all the information.
This is such a trying time. It's hard enough to pack a suitcase, but trying to figure this all out is giving me a headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 06:10 PM

Hi There!

This is a tough decision. A very individual, unique and personal one.

Ovaries typically do produce cysts that burst and dissipate on their own. I never even knew that until I found out I was having a hysterectomy!

Another thing I found out in my research was that healthy ovaries continue to secrete hormones even after menopause. There are two sides to this coin, sweetie, and it sounds like you've been doing research already. Make yourself a list of pros and cons. Weigh them out. Prioritize what means the most to you and your health.

I know you will make the decision that is most comfortable for you and best for your health and well-being.

I wish you the best as your make your journey - know that we are here for support!

(((((((HUGS)))))))
Unread 03-05-2002, 06:19 PM

Hi KMarie. I am 43 (was 42 when I had my surgery). I too wasnt sure what I wanted to do about my ovaries. I have always has problems with one of them (cysts) and after discussing it with my doc, I decided that at my age, I would rather have one than none, so I told him if the one that was suspicious looked really bad, to take it but if the other one looked healthy, to leave it. So he did. Everything is gone but my right ovary. It will provide all the estrogen I need so my DR says. I have felt fine and forsee no problems with functioning this way for the next several years (knock on wood). I know there are alot of decisions to make, but personally, if I didnt have to go on HRT, I didnt want to. I'm sure your physician will lead you in the right direction. Good luck with everything!!
MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Hi Sweetheart

Making pro and con list is great idea. This is a difficult decision to make and your ovaries do have cyst that come and go at will. That don't make them any less serious but it will make a difference if you are one of the ladies that have them. I had them also and in my post-op report and my DR told me that at one time one on my left ovary had burst and set up infection it left me with adhesions that had attached to my colon. So all kinds of things go on that we don't know about. I left my decision to my DR after she took a look at them. Talk to your DR about the pros and cons of removing your ovaries also. God bless.
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:28 AM

HI
Yes this a difficult decision. I too am in the same boat. I have a fibroid uterus and no problems with my ovaries to my knowledge. I am 45 and the DR told me at my age it is "routine" to take the ovaries as well. I really felt in my gut I didn't want them removed if they are healthy as I would like to keep my own estrogen factories pumping for as long as possible. But I went home and thought about it and did some research. I have decided to keep mine, but if upon opening me up he finds them diseased or not healthy, I am leaving the decision up to him. He knows and respects my wishes to keep them.
In my personal case, I have no family history of cancer and this has helped me with my decision...but if I had the slighest inclination of fear of cancer, then I would most likely have them taken out. This is my personal decision and you must come to your own. And you will!!!!
good luck to you and your decision
god bless
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:54 AM

I had the same decision to make. I am having a TAH/BSO on March 12 for a right ovarian cyst that is getting larger and bleeding in between perionds with cramping. I didn't know if I wanted to keep my left ovary or not until I discussed it with my Dr. I am having hot flashes, nite sweats etc. for sometime. Since I am 46 with grown children I decided not to keep the left ovary since it hasn't been working that well for awile. It is a hard decision. Only you can make. Hope this helps.
Unread 03-06-2002, 07:34 AM

It's a hard decision to make and oh-so personal!

I decided to keep both of mine unless they were diseased or cancerous.

As you can see by my signature, they were pristine. I'm glad I kept them, it was a hard decision to make...so many things to think about!

I like the pro's vs. con's list idea, so much, that I made one to help with the decision!

There is no ovarian cancer in my family, no cancer at all in fact. So I was a good canidate to keep them.

Good luck!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register