ovaries | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-05-2002, 04:17 PM
ovaries

Hi, I am new to the board and am questioning the ovary thing...I am 50 just started menopause and having a hysterectomy on April 1st due to problems with fibroid tumors. I have had a sonogram and ovaries are fine but the doctor recommends to have them out because of my age. Don't really know what to do...any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 05:38 PM
ovaries

Hi Rose, and welcome!

Keeping or losing ovaries is a very common question, and not an easy one to decide on. It's pretty easy for a doctor to say "out with them" due to your age. However, if your ovaries are healthy, most of us would opt to keep them. It's not usual to remove a healthy organ because it "might" develop a problem later on in life!!! Your age has nothing to do with it. Your ovaries will continue to dribble out good stuff for years. Our bodies weren't designed to have parts yanked out at a certain age...unless they are causing serious problems.

If you have no family history to be concerned with, and they look healthy, I'd keep them. JMHO...but that answer doesn't sit well with me.

There have been MANY threads on this topic...try running a search using our search engine (little purple button at the top right of each page) and you'll find lots of interesting posts on this.

Make the right decision for YOU!!!!! No second chances here...once they're gone, they're gone for good.

Karen
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:07 PM
ovaries

I was 52 when I had a TAH/BSO. At that time I hadn't found Hyster Sisters, and I had no one to help me make the decision as to whether or not to keep my ovaries.

Shortly after my surgery, it was determined that I would not be able to start Hormone Replacement Therapy. I have a blood clotting disorder that I didn't know about, and can't take estrogen. Had I known this, I would more than likely have opted to keep my ovaries.

I found out only after my surgery that even after menopause your ovaries continue to dribble small amounts of hormones. Those hormones, together with those produced in your adrenal glands (and the estrone in your omentum) make dealing with HRT easier. It's much better to supplement the hormones your body makes than to replace them completely.

This isn't an easy decision. Read all you can before you make your final decision. I wish I had kept my ovaries. I'm not sure if it would have made a difference, but I'll always wonder.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register