Clothing for After Surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clothing for After Surgery Clothing for After Surgery

Unread 03-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Clothing for After Surgery

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how many sizes will I go up from post-op belly swell. Penney's has some nice drawstring linen pants on sale that would work well for going back to work in May. Also, how long does it take for the tummy to go back to it's normal size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 04:42 PM
Didn't go up a size

Hi there!
I didn't go up a size, but had to buy stretchy pants in my size. I was expecting to go up, so I had sweat pants to wear around home. I had a pair of jeans that had an elastic waist band to wear when I went anywhere. I think the drawstring pants will be great to go back to work.I also do a lot of long jackets that helps cover up the "swelly belly". You just need room for your tummy, especially when you're up on your feet more. Mine tends to "expand" in the evening. I'm 12 weeks post and it's much better now.

Good luck!
Janie
Unread 03-05-2002, 04:50 PM

I agree with Janie. I have swelling, but did not need to buy anything larger than normal. I just bought stretchy brief panties, and some pants with elastic. These are things I can still use later, when I am back to normal......whenever that may be. (Clearance sales are great for finding things this time of year).
I think the key is just to make sure it stretches or has elastic, and you will be fine in your regular size for the most part. Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Jumpers vs Sweats

I wear a lot of really loose big jumpers. Will these do just as well for after surgery? They are really comfortable. I am considering wearing one to and from the hospital. Do you think I will be okay?

Rayna
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:13 PM

Hi Sisters! Rayna, I don't normally wear jumpers except cordoroy type for work with a turtleneck underneath and pantyhose. But if a jumper is comfortable for you - I say wear it!! My TAH/BSO was on 2/13/02 and I wore sweat pants and a very loose, comfy cotton shirt (actually it was a maternity shirt I saw marked down at the store).

I'm 3 weeks post and I've been living in my large sweats and you will have swelly-belly, but just plan on stretchy jeans and remember COMFORT!!

s to all you ladies!!!
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:15 PM
One other thing

I bought some light control panties by Hanes Her Way at Walmart that are really comfy. They were really stretchy, much more comfy than regular control panties! I felt better when I had a little support when I felt better and was getting out more.

Janie
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:16 PM

Loose dresses and jumpers are great! I wanted to live in the loose little dress I have. It was better than any of the pants.

Loose , comfy waists, like drawstrings are good, too. Just choose things that look good and have the feel of very comfortable, roomy, jammies around the waist and you should be fine I think.
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:17 PM

Hi Ladies,

I anticipated the swelly belly and went to Wal-Mart. They had some knit type pants with elastic waist (not leggings, too tight).
I bought two pair a size larger than normal. They look good enough that I can wear them to the office with a jacket. I can wear my pre-op jeans, but in the afternoon, I want my jammies or walmart pants. If jumpers are comfortable for you, go for it.
One other thing.... post op, i found it very difficult to "hold" anything in my bladder. Easy, quick access was a must for me.
Best of luck to you. Prayers and good wishes for all of you Ladies in Waiting.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register