Can you believe this? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can you believe this? Can you believe this?

Unread 03-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Can you believe this?

I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on March 22nd. I had to take a form to my Dr for a approx release date for work. Okay nothing nothing wrong with that.
But get this, my release date is 4 weeks after surgery. I questioned this and was told that I would be fine and not to worry. They (the doctor) hasn't given more than 4 weeks in years. No one has had a problem.
However, if for some "ungodly" problem came up, they would work from there.
Gee, I haven't had surgery yet and am already being released to go back to work. I have a desk job which is good, but they didn't ask what I did. It didn't matter. Maybe I should ask if I have to fight somebody would that be okay and see what they say. Sure you will be fine.
I saw I was only given 1 day in the castle and told not to worry about that either. Guess I'll be going home on Saturday and I'll be fine. Even if I can't pee or poop.
Anybody else come have this?
I am 47 and overweight (a lot).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Can you believe this?

Thought about seeing another doctor?

I'm not working now and probably would have been fine to work at the 4 week point, but I have had an unusually good recovery. Most women on this board seem to need 6 weeks, especially if they weren't in great shape to begin with.

The one day thing seems to be insurance specific. Most insurance will allow more time if needed. My insurance provided for 3 days and I was really fine to go home in 2. Once again though I seemed to go through this really well and was not necessarily the norm. My son's pediatrician did tell me that if I needed more time, to say that I was really dizzy. Most hospitals/doctors will not discharge if there is a risk of liability due to falling.
Unread 03-05-2002, 05:02 PM
Can you believe this?

With my insurance I don't have many doctors to choose from.
My other choice works in the same office. She felt I should live with my condition. Very heavy bleeding, pain, fibroids, etc.
So . . . . . what could I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 06:07 PM
Can you believe this?

I, too, have limited doctors with the insurance plan I'm on. But I would say that if you can, get a 2nd opinion or talk to a patient advisory nurse. I had a TAH/BSO on 2/13 and my doctor was very good about saying 6-8 weeks and then if I'm feeling better in 4, that's when he would release me back to work. I have a desk job too and feel I could go back next week, but don't want to push it.

You need time to let your body heal and rest!!

s and prayers to you. Let us know how things work out!
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:25 PM
Hi Loves the Soaps-love the name.

Have you thought about getting a second opinion? Or if you are comfortable with this one maybe they could write tentive release date on the form. A lot of the time it is just that a tentive date. God Bless. Maybe they will just transfer you straight from surgery to your car and you could just drive yourself back home Everything will be fine Sweety if you need more time just ask they should give it to you.
Unread 03-06-2002, 05:53 AM
Can you believe this?

I probably could have gone back to work at 4 weeks, I have a desk job, but my doc really prefers 6 weeks off and more if not doing well. The time spent in the hospital is "usual" time, and does not reflect any extenuating circumstances. If you have an elevated temperature or pain or cough post op the insurance will have accept a longer stay. And if you can't pee or pass gas, they won't let you go home. Time of work is also "usual" and that depends on your recovery. These times can be extended depending on your recovery. I know that this is a stressful time but try not to let this get the best of you. My mother in law went back to work part time 2 weeks post TAH! I thought she was nuts but has had no problems. You may do better than you think, just take one step at a time and everything will turn out OK.

Unread 03-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Can you believe this?

My Dr has signed the form for work - 4 weeks. He said I should be fine. So did his assistant who has gone throught the same procedure. I am sure if you are not up to it you could call the Dr back and tell him and he could extend it. I think that I will worry about that when the time comes. My boss is pretty understanding (most of the time) so I don't think it will be a big problem. Talk to your boss or someone in HR. They certainly don't want you back working and have something happen to you while on the job!
Unread 03-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Me Too!

My doctor told me I would be in the hospital for two days after my TAH on 2/13 but the insurance said I could only stay one day. I wasn't looking forward to going home 24 hours after surgery. As it happened, I came down with a fever of 101 degrees the day after my surgery. The nurse was so happy that I would get another day in the hospital that she was jumping up and down and high-fiving me. I think there were higher powers with me that day because my chest x-ray and my urine culture were just fine. Makes you wonder where that little fever came from, doesn't it? Anyway, I got to stay for a full 2 1/2 days and went home on Friday evening. I think that was good timing for me. By the way, I am 43 and also overweight (a lot)!!!
As far as going back to work at 4 weeks - I am 3 weeks post-op today and I think I could probably go part time next week (if I wanted). I am lucky enough to be able to work part time at home if I want but there is NO way I would go back to the office full time before 6 weeks - mostly because I feel I deserve 6 weeks off after this surgery. But I am getting very antsy sitting around. Tomorrow its a shopping trip for me. You may feel just fine at 4 weeks to return to work. If not, remember that your health comes first and insist on two more weeks off.
Good luck to you.
Unread 03-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Can you believe this?

Have you thought about an epidural for pain management? At least then it stays in for 24 hours and you won't go home till the next evening at the earliest. I can't imagine going home the same day of surgery especially since most are still using a morophine pump that day. To many complications can happen overnight and if your home that night it's a lot harder to manage your pain and any other symptoms. I stayed two nights and went home on the third morning and could have gone home the next EVENING after surgery (2 days total) BUT since my legs didn't get the feeling back till the afternoon, I hadn't passed gas, was nauseated and needing meds and I.V. for that, the dr. kept me. I don't even think they start you on solid foods the same day of surgery. You may want to make sure you are able keep down a meal before you leave the hospital. Is it only 1 day or overnight and going home the second day? If you aren't ready to go home then explain to your dr. specifically why you're not. Usually the signs of needing to stay are bladder not emptying completely, dizzy, dehydrated, fever, nausea, or uncontrolled pain to name a few. Do you have help when you get home? You may find that home however is quieter and more comfy in your own bed with your family taking care of you. This is worse than having a baby and I can't imagine them keeping you less than 24 hours. By the way since surgery is on a Friday the dr. that releases you from the hospital may be the one on call. Make sure you have someone ready to pick up your prescriptions and have a sheet of paper to write down any concerns or questions so when the dr. shows up you aren't forgetting.
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:31 PM
Can you believe this?

Okay, I've tried this three times lets see if I can finish without getting kicked off AOL again.
Thanks everybody for your words of encouragement.
CM3 The problem with the epidural is that I have Neurofibromatosis (NF1) which causes tumors to grow just about anywhere on the body including the spinal cord. I do not know if I have any tumors on my cord but have have many tumors elsewhere. If the needle should puncture a tumor I could be in serious trouble.
I really would like the epidural but it isn't worth the risk.
I think I will try to insist on more time if I just don't feel like I can tackle going back full time at 4 weeks. This means from the time I get up to get ready to the time I get home is a 12 hour day. Sounds way to long to me. I'm worn out now as it is before the surgery.
Again. Thanks everybody. If anybody knows anything about NF and epidurals please let me know.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register