Can you believe this? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can you believe this? Can you believe this?

Unread 03-07-2002, 05:44 AM
Can you believe this?

Hi Loves the Soaps,

I'm sorry you have this added stress to worry about!

I'd like to say that the hospital won't discharge you if you have any problems. I don't see how they could possibly send you home the same day as surgery. When I had my hyst, surgery lasted for just under 5 hours. My Dr. had told me to expect to be in the castle for 3 - 5 days. Surgery was Friday morning, and I was discharged Sunday morning; 48 hours in all. However, I could have stayed at least one more day, but for me, I was ready to go home and there wasn't anything being done still in the castle that I couldn't do at home.

As far as going back to work; I think that 4 weeks is a little early, at least it was for me. However, Drs. can extend that period even if it's longer than the initial date they put down on the forms. Another thought....maybe you could take some vacation time, sick time or unpaid time off for another couple of weeks if for some reason your Dr. won't extend the date.

Sending best wishes and s to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 05:54 AM
Can you believe this?

I did have that idea. I just hope that my @%&*@#!!! supervisor of mine will go along with that. If my doctor releases me despite how I feel, supervisor, will not understand why I need more time.
He's a man so what should I expect.
So I'm going to have to take it one day at a time and get myself ready for long working days. I fear that I will overdo myself trying to build myself back up too soon.
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:20 AM
Can you believe this?

Loves,

My supervisor is a man too. But I figure....this is major surgery, I'll never get another chance to heal - this is MY time!! I'm 3 weeks post now and thinking of trying to go back to work next week since I'm feeling a little pressure from my supervisor already.

I've decided I'm going out this afternoon to get my hair cut and maybe even colored and I WON'T feel guilty about doing so! This is such a big step for me - doing something for ME and not worrying about what other people might think - like someone seeing me from my office at the hair salon and wonder, "Geez, she's home off for surgery and here she is at the salon. Surely she can come to work if she's getting her hair done." Bologna! I'm a pampered now - I'm a Lion - hear me ROAR!

To make this long post, shorter...Take care of yourself - you should know when your body is ready to go back to work. Like Tina said, you can always ask the Dr. to extend the date on the form if you're not feeling well.

s to you!

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 06:38 AM
Going back to work

My Dr too told me that I could go back to work at four weeks..But NO lifting, no vaccuming no sweeping stuff like that..The good thing about my Dr is she had this same procedure two yrs ago and she has had several prior surgeries too so she knows how it is..And is very sympathetic..However, she told me that if at four weeks I do not feel ready to go back to work, she'll keep me off for another two weeks at a atime..I do home health work, so it is not too bad. I went home from the hospital the next afternoon. A bit more than 24 hours after my surgery..I asked to go home even tho my insurance okay'd 2 full days..I wanted to go home as my room mate was having some problems and I wanted to be in my own bed and with my family..I did better at home than I would of in there..I wanted my comfy bed..Are you having TVH or TAH? If you are having TVH it is not that bad as long as you are going to the bathroom and feeling up to it. Insurance companies sure don't want to pay anymore do they? But they won't release you from the hospital if you are not feeling good..If you have a good Dr s/he will keep you in ...As for myself I wanted to go home and felt great..And I had a great support system at home too so it wasn't so bad..I went home that nite and slept like a baby..and it felt so good
Unread 03-07-2002, 08:06 AM
Can you believe this?

I've been thinking about it and decided that if I still have to come to work in 4 weeks I'm going to pass out in the lobby. If I pass out in my office someone may not find me for a while. But the lobby will be the perfect spot.
That way they will send me home and tell me to stay there until I'm stronger.
What to you all think?
Unread 03-07-2002, 09:21 AM
Can you believe this?

I love the idea of passing out in the lobby. That should work. My Dr asked me first if I lift anything heavy at work, before telling me how long I would be out. I asked her if a telephone is heavy---she responded 6 weeks. On the paperwork for my job on every line where they asked about follow up appointments she didn't bother filling in yes or no she just wrote in on rvery line 6 WEEKS OFF WORK,

After working at this co for 10 years I'll be glad to have that long of a break.

Goog Luck!!!!
Unread 03-07-2002, 09:56 AM
Can you believe this?

My doctor didn't ask squat what I did at work. I should have asked is wrestling down a combatant detainee okay? (I've haven't had to that in a good number of years)
Some of these people that get brought in are wild. If they have to spray one, the chemical goes through the whole building, which starts me coughing.
I do have to pick up heavy stuff once in a while. Those computer paper boxes get heavy if I have to put paper in the printer. But I can get the trustee to do that or one of the guys. (Provided they are at the office of course) If I'm there on the weekend, it's often just me for the entire day.
Sometimes people might bring in found property into the office that gets heavy sometimes too. Someone found a suitcase chuck full of stuff not to mention the roaches. Played spray and stomp for a while. Can you imagine stomping roaches for half an hour?
I can hardly wait to when I will have to work seven days straight, which will be my turn as soon as I am scheduled to get back. That might set me back.
Opps gotta go. I just got a call I have to handle.
Unread 03-07-2002, 10:04 AM
Can you believe this?

Don't work too hard!
Unread 03-08-2002, 04:04 AM
Can you believe this?

My doc gave me lifting restrictions of no more than 5 pounds for 2 weeks, gradually working up to 8 or 10 pounds by 4 weeks and at 6 weeks I still am restricted to 20 pounds. Also at 6 weeks I was released to vacuum (too bad!) but he said no ladders as yet-I wanted to do some painting. He did say a sturdy step stool was ok, but not for painting or taking heavy stuff off shelves.

Unread 03-08-2002, 05:00 AM
Can you believe this?

HI !! I had a TAH/BSO on 1/21/02. My doc told me I would be off 6 wks. When I went for checkup at 6 wks, I was having problems with crying and wasnt healing up right, so I took another week off. They gave me some hormones and I am feeling better. I am going back to work Monday. I have an office job too. I have restrictions on my other job though, due to heavy lifting. ( I am a vol FF/EMT in my spare time )

Just make sure you tell the doc at hospital if you do not feel weel enough to go home. I was on a Demerol pump for 2 days. I had the gas problem for awhile after surgery. Gas-X and walking does help alot but it can be painful sometimes.

The recovery has not been as bad as I thought. You just have to rest and take it easy at first. At 4 wks I was going a few places and doing some little chores (NOTHING HEAVY!)

At 6 wks I am can vaccum and do laundry !! How exciting !!

Take care and good luck...You will do fine...You will wake up and go home and NO MORE ICKY PERIODS !!

I had endo,cysts, heavy periods...I AM NOW FREE !!

Hugs, Teresa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register