Talked to the doctor about wrong surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Talked to the doctor about wrong surgery Talked to the doctor about wrong surgery

Unread 03-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Talked to the doctor about wrong surgery

Hello,

I finally talked to the doctor about the consent form with the wrong surgery on it. He listened attentively and offered to fix it. Said he agreed it was not the surgery we discussed and that he would have remembered that when he got into surgery, even if the form and information on the form was wrong. I was not to confident of that! He offered to contact the hospital to correct their records also. I feel better that the correct surgery is scheduled. I am still going to leave a note on my belly..not here! The office had scheduled me for a Total Abdominal Hyst with removing of ovaries and staging... and we had discussesd vaginal hyst only. Big difference in my mind. And I have been trying to straighten out the records since I got the form in the mail last Thursday.

He did encourage me to relinquish my ovaries..but I am still using them..and I don't want to go on HRT...at least before it is necessary. I am 48 years old and have no signs of menopause yet. I held my ground to keep them. Any thoughts on the ovaries?

Thanks for all your support and prayers. We'll all get there. I love this forum. You girls are great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 06:01 PM

Hi Linda! Boy can I relate to forms being screwed up at the doctor's office. Seven yrs. ago when I had a laproscope done, the pre-op papers had my name on them, but had the wrong birthdate. When I questioned the staff about it, they made it seem like it was ME going out of my mind. Finally, when they realized that my doctor had two patients with the same name (how weird since my name wasn't that common), they had a human resource person from the hospital come in and calm me down. I was concerned if they hadn't noticed the paperwork, the insurance could be messed up and what if I needed blood during surgery? Wrong blood type?? Ah, I was fuming.

I've was diagnosed with endo at age 19 and I've also had abnormal paps, so I opted to have my ovaries removed when I had my TAH 3 weeks ago. I believe it was a great choice for me - it is a piece of mind in that hopefully all the endo is gone. But it's such a personal decision about the ovaries - discuss this with your doctor.

Many s and prayers for you!!
Unread 03-05-2002, 06:04 PM

Hi Linda!

Hats off to you for taking charge! DRs have so many patients, it's up to us to make sure they remember who we are!

Linda, about the ovaries - I would never assume to know what would be best for you. I can, however, share with you that if I had had a choice, I would have kept one or both of mine, had they been healthy and functioning.

This is not an easy decision - but it's yours. Many gals report that they leave it with the DR that the ovaries stay unless upon viewing them in surgery there is found to be detriment or ill-health.

Best wishes to you, sweetie - I know you will make the best decision for you!

((((((hugs))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 06:28 PM

Hi Linda. I'm glad you talked with your DR about the wrong surgery issue. It may be true that he would remember which surgery he said you'd be having, but why should you go into your surgery having even the tiniest doubt about that? If it were me I would probably write a big T-V-H on my tummy and underline the V 3 times!!! - and then add a smiley face after it so he'd be less likely to feel insulted and get mad. You know how men are when they think we're questioning their competence If you write on your skin, though, please be sure to use a non toxic washable marker. If you decide to use paper, don't rely on post-it notes. They are a wonderful invention but they can easily get stuck to the inside of your hospital gown and flutter away at any time, why risk it? You can use regular paper and tape it on with some of that easy release paper first aid tape that won't hurt when they remove it (not that you'll be awake anyway but...).

About the ovary question, that is a very tfrisky and very personal issue. I discussed it at length with my DR and decided that they should go. This was because at 45 I was already perimenopausal and starting to have symptoms, and was going to need estrogen anyway, and I was concerned about the potential increased risk of ovarian cancer and the hormonal balancing act that might be required to counter that increased risk. Everybody's different. Some people don't require HRT if they keep their ovaries (at least not for a while) and some do. I just felt that it decreased my overall cancer risk, eliminated the potential need for another surgery further down the line and simplified the HRT issue. But that's only my (and my DR's) personal opinion. You might do well to hop over to the Hysterectomy Options board and check out the threads there, I know there have been some very lively discussions about the decision to keep ovaries or not. Just remember, ultimately it's your body, and your decision, unless of course it's medically dangerous for you to keep them, and your DR is the person best able to advise you about that. If the wrong surgery incident has compromised your trust in his judgment and this extends over into questioning his medical advice, please feel free to consult a second (or even third) physician until you feel satisfied that you are making the best decision for you. I wish you the best whatever you decide. Please let us know what you decide to do and how it goes!
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Wrong Birthday???

When Iwent in for my tubal in 1999, the hospital had it on my papers that I was born in 1900. I was actually born in 1970!!! They decide it was wrong on their own, as a 99 year old probably wouldn't be having that procedure done. We all got a good laugh out of it, they were good enough to admit their mistake and laugh with me about it. Then showed me the rest of the paper work for me to check for errors!!!LOL The only other mistake on the papers is that theyhad me as a male!
Kelkie(Kelly)
Unread 03-06-2002, 05:06 AM

Oh, Kelly! First they had you being a 99 year old person going in for a hyster, and then a male!!! ROFLOL. What will be next with hospital forms?? When I went in recently for my TAH, the nurse called over the phone and she filled out most of the forms that way. I'm thankful for that. No hand cramps!!

(HUGS)
Unread 03-06-2002, 05:17 AM

I am 53 and had a TVH-BSO; as I was experiencing peri menopausal symptoms I opted for the ovaries to be removed. This is a very personal decision, but I just wanted him to clean house while he was in there! I am not planning on having another surgery! I wish you the best of luck in your decision, the info you get the better you will feel about the final decision! I too wrote a note on my inner thigh to my gyn......he got a big kick out of it and was disappointed when I went for my 6 week check up that there were no messages for him! There are ways to "remind" the surgeon by message that won't be offensive to him and add a little levity!

Unread 03-06-2002, 07:29 AM

Sorry to hear that they have messed up the paperwork. That's not fun...but glad you have decided to get it fixed!

As for the ovaries, hubby and I talked for a week before we decided. Actually, I only had a weeks notice for the surgery. I kept mine as there is no ovarian cancer history and because I'm 37. I'm glad I did. But, as said before, it's a totally personal decision!

Good luck!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register