I am very nervous | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am very nervous I am very nervous

Unread 03-05-2002, 08:26 PM
I am very nervous

I found this site about a month ago and have posted here a few times and I read the posts quite often. Now I am just a few days away and have become very nervous. I know this is normal, but I am just so scared! I know I need to calm my nerves and I really am trying, I really just kind of put the whole surgery in the back of my mind, until this week when I have started to get things ready here at home for my family. I guess I just need some encouraging words of wisdom from all you wonderful ladies.

Thanks so much,
Athena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 08:57 PM
I am very nervous too.

Athena,

I am having my surgery on March 11th and I am very nervous too. I am really talking to myself about this, but I am not doing a very good job. I know many women go through this everyday, but I can't quit thinking about it. I wish I could turn my brain off. I have even thought about calling my Dr. for some drugs!!! And I NEVER thought I would do that!!
Unread 03-05-2002, 09:00 PM
I am very nervous too.

Athena,

I am having my surgery on March 11th and I am very nervous too. I am really talking to myself about this, but I am not doing a very good job. I know many women go through this everyday, but I can't quit thinking about it. I wish I could turn my brain off. I have even thought about calling my Dr. for some drugs!!! And I NEVER thought I would do that!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 09:56 PM
I am very nervous

Hi ladies, it's normal to be nervous, and you will get all the drugs you ever wanted soon enough...just kidding of course, but if you speak up you will get what you need. Try to focus on how much better your lives are going to be once this is over. That must be true or you wouldn't have come to the decision to do it. Think of how beautiful you will look in your new crowns!

Probably you have read the threads already where s go through the "nesting" thing, same as when we're preparing to give birth. I think that is nature's way of keeping us busy and distracting us so we won't see the big day sneaking up! Myself, I went shopping...I had heard that I wouldn't be able to drive for a while and wouldn't feel like shopping, which turned out to be true, so I went at it like a madwoman the last week before my surgery. It helped me feel prepared, as I stocked up on things I might need post op (lots of juices and soft foods at first!) and I got my last fix of walking the mall. Another thing that really helped is that I went to a discount store and got a bunch of DVDs and videos of movies I'd never seen. The first couple of days home I didn't have the attention span to watch them but as time went on I was very happy that I'd done that. Also when people visited it gave us something else to do besides have them sit and stare at me!

Just before the "big day" my BF took me on a long (but not strenuous) hike and for a picnic. Being out in nature felt really good and helped calm me down, and as a bonus we had an opportunity to have a very good talk, first about the surgery and how things would be afterwards but then about everything. I ended up going into the castle feeling really good about his support.

You will both make it just fine...please post to let us all know how it goes!

Lots of s,
- Linda
Unread 03-06-2002, 12:26 AM
Another nervous lady

I am due to have my op in 24 hours. Up to now I have been fine, a little weepy but altogether putting on a brave face. This morning, however there are several butterfiles flying around in my stomach and my nerves have gone, but I know I have made the right decision.

Look forward to speaking with you all after the event.

Wish me luck!!

love and best wishes
Ann-Marie
Unread 03-06-2002, 12:38 AM
hello LIW

I am now 13 days post op. I am able to lay on my sides to sleep, without pain, I can now shave my legs in the shower, although I am careful with the bending. My bowels/gas problems are over at least for now. I am eating whatever I wish with no ill effects. I drink soda and juice and take my hormones and vitamins. I have not had a pain pill in a week. If I am sore at night, from the insides healing, I just take an aleve and it helps it. Just think within two weeks of your surgery, you are able to move around with minimal problems.

Now let me clarify, I have not done any house work, drove anywhere, nor lifted anything heavier than my socks! haha I have been successful so far because I have been a good slug and laid around to let my insides heal.

Even the immediate pain from the surgery wasn't as bad as the cramps I have suffered during periods with endo! I never cried one time! Besides the dr's and nurses make sure your every need for pain or uncomfyness is taken care of! You wont suffer! Promise!

Best wishes....come visit us in chat!!
Unread 03-06-2002, 06:38 AM
Thank you

I really appreciate the replies. It helps to know I am normal!LOL, others might not agree with that! I know this is something that I have to have done and this is the best thing for me, but I am just ready for it to be over. For those of you who posted and are also waiting you are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you the best of luck!s!!!! Again thank you all so much, all the advice you ladies give is priceless! I will be in touch after my surgery and when feeling better, unless I have another panic attack and need more reassurance before Friday! Thank you all so very much! Look forward to hearing from everyone afterwards!

Athena
Unread 03-06-2002, 07:22 AM
I am very nervous

I agree with Reba, the recovery is easy compared to the monthly problems.

Actually, everyone is right, the waiting is the worst part. Looming over your head. Once the surgery is over, it's so easy.

Good luck, I will be thinking and praying for you!!

Sara
Unread 03-06-2002, 08:18 AM
I am very nervous

I am now within one week and have been doing well keeping the nerves in check until now! I am not worried about the surgery itself but the recovery period and being immobile. Every time I do something as simple as roll over in bed I try to remember the feeling! YIKES! Please say it will be worth it!
Unread 03-06-2002, 09:29 AM
I am very nervous

OK, Tammy, it will be worth it! Seriously, it will...
s,
- Linda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register