I am very nervous - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am very nervous I am very nervous

Unread 03-06-2002, 09:51 AM
I am very nervous

Yes it is normal. I have my hyster the 12th at 11am. and I am nervous. I just try to keep busy and nt think of it. One thing that helps is I tell myself that it has to be done and I can't put it off and after a while it just seems normal. Now when I get to the hospital it may be a different thing. I expect that my blood pressure will really rise. Got my blood tests of tuesday and a electrocardagram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 10:02 AM
I am very nervous

I'm nervous too -- going in one week from today -- but strangely, I'm less nervous than I was a few days ago. I got sick last night, something I'm hoping will turn out to be related to endo and treatable, so I am VERY motivated to go under the knife and let them see what they can see! It kinda reminded me how important this surgery is, for a number of reasons.

I wish the waiting were over. Hey, I'll tell you something I'll be doing today -- don't know if it will help anyone but me (may not even help me) -- but I plan to sit down and visualize the surgery happening today, as if I were doing it with my own mind, to prepare my body. I'll picture tying off the uterus's blood vessels, separating it from the tissue around it, and delivering it through the vagina. And I will picture all this happening easily and without pain or swelling. I've been planning to do this 1 week before surgery for a few days now. That way, when I go in next week, all the doc will be doing is finishing the work I started.

It's just a perceptual game, I know. But these nerves are perceptual too. And I figure if it calms me down, great; if it helps my body prepare for surgery, even better. If nothing else, it makes me feel more in control (and I do love that! ), which eases my stress.

It's all getting very real now. I'm terrified and excited all at once.

((((hugs)))) to my fellow LIW's! We'll get through this together!

Melissa
Unread 03-06-2002, 10:52 AM
I am very nervous

Ok so we are all in this together. Sometimes I am really excited to get on with it and then other times I am really uptight. I am sure the next few days will be filled with lots of mixed emotion. I think the visualization idea is great! I am getting a 2 hour massage and polarity session the day before surgery. Gotta live like a princess...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 11:32 AM
Two weeks pre

My surgery is scheduled for the 20th. I have decided that ignorance is bliss, because when I start reading I get very scared. I had to remind myself of my first pregnancy when I read every book and knew every possible complication and thought I would have them all. I did have a couple, but only a couple, and that's probably what will happen here too. The things that terrify me are things I have read on the forum, for instance, "The belly cut makes the woman much more likely to get a pot belly effect after surgery that she'll never be rid of, too!" NEVER? And the changes in sex drive and experience of orgasms. I guess I have never broken down how my orgasms happen. How much of them is because of uterine contractions? And the lethargy and depression that often accompany HRT. I told my husband that the very things that define me, my energy, my sexuality, my happiness--all seem to be in jeopardy here. (To my DH's credit, he wrote me a note saying, "I love you and nothing will ever change that.") Will I be another woman after my hysterectomy? A pot-bellied forgetful depression-ridden ******? It's enough to make a person cancel their surgery and go buy bulk tampons at Sams. So I've decided I will listen to my doctor who says I am in perfect health and should bounce back easily, who says most women in his practice do perfectly well with HRT, but vowed to help me achieve perfection if I do not, and to listen to my mother (an R.N.) who said if I take care of myself, I can set a pattern for my health the rest of my life. I'm sure this is Too Much Information! but I needed to get it off my chest. Love and thoughts to all of you.
Unread 03-06-2002, 11:52 AM
I am very nervous

Hey, Kath, good luck with your surgery. I'm sure it will go smoothly and you'll be back on your feet, living a wonderful, happy life, in no time.

I notice I go through phases -- sometimes I want to drink in all information, even the scary stuff; sometimes I only want to hear positive things. A month ago, I was reading everything. Now, I'm in a place now where the negatives do me NO good. I am aiming to maintain a positive attitude, and trying to do things that support and reinforce that. I've found myself shying away from post-op topics that talk about post-surgery troubles -- though I'm sure I'd be grateful for them if I were experiencing them.

I do so love reading "back from the castle, everything went great!" posts. They help buoy my courage.

Melissa
Unread 03-06-2002, 11:53 AM
I am very nervous

You know how they say the waiting is the worst part? It really was for me.

I had my SAH 3 weeks ago. I had never had major surgery before, so I was kind of nervous about that. Also, I do not do well with pain at all, so I was hoping that wouldn't be a big problem.

For a week or two before the surgery I used visualization, imagining that the surgery itself went very well. I also imagined myself in the recovery period saying, "This is much easier than I thought it would be!"

That's exactly what happened for me. My surgery went very, very well, no problems, even though my fibroid was as big as a football! And recovery has in fact been easier than I thought it would be. I haven't ever had to deal with really bad pain. And though there has been some (understandable) discomfort, it's really been not that bad. Really! I'm not just saying that!

My body is healing amazingly quickly. At 3 weeks I am driving, doing some easy laundry, and so on--of course, all this has been OK'd by my doctor.

I think the things that have helped me the most have been: this incredible website, having an excellent support team who took care of me during recovery, visualizing recovery, walking, drinking 90 oz. of water/day, taking vitamins/homeopathic remedies during recovery, resting a lot, eating well, listening to my body and not overdoing things too early.

All my prayers go out to you LIW's. May your stays in the the castle and your subsequent recoveries be as easy or easier than mine.
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:03 AM
waiting waiting

Thanks so much for your positive post. I do think the entire procedure is subject to our thinking prior to getting there. I do find some of the information overwhelming, however, I keep telling myself this is just a pausing point, a time out, and that things will be back to normal in no time. I think the visualization is very important, as well as positive feedback. I have even asked the anesthesiologist to do positive thoughts regarding recovery etc. I do admit I feel threatened about being changed, but I just can't believe that is always the case, there are millions of women out there who have had this done and we can't pick them up from walking past them! Reminds me of giving birth and the stories you hear about delivery etc.

Anyway, lets have good thoughts, I am even going to visualize healing before they cut me and see if I can beat all healing records.

Chins up!!!
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:11 PM
I'm ready to go

Just wanted to drop in and say I am ready to go! Thanks so much for all of the support, wisdom, and comforting words! You all are so amazing. I will be in touch soon. HUGE S to all of you!

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN,
Athena
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:29 PM
worried.........as surgery date approaches

...........Hello everyone, just found this site today, after looking up info on Hysterectomies,,,,,,,,,I have fybroid tumors and endometrosis,,,,,,,and am scheduled for surgery on march 11-02,,,,,,,I'm a nervous wreck having TAH,,,,,(keeping ovaries,unless they are diseased).Have had surhery before but nothing major,dread the pain, and tiredness,though I don't know how much more tired I could be then I am now,,,,,will be glad when this is over,,,,,,,,, I'm glad I found this site alot of my questions have been answered. i hope to post again,,,and here from some of you. Thanks for listening..............
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Sympathizing with Nervous

Hello,
I have logged onto this sight for my first time today. I too am feeling some anxiety as I have a Hysterectomy scheduled for 3-12-2002. I hope everything goes well for you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best of Luck,

Moe

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register