I'm Scared Silly | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm Scared Silly I'm Scared Silly

Unread 03-05-2002, 11:00 PM
I'm Scared Silly

Hey Sisters,

I found the site while looking for help with my Hyst. I am having the Total Hyst. ovaries included! Can't sleep, don't feel well. How can I cope a little easier? I have done a lot of "nesting" the past few days. I go back to the Dr. on 3/11/02 to set up my surgery date. I have a 10 mm Fibroid in my uterus. The Dr. believes since I no longer want children the ovaries should go too since I may get fibroids on them and have to go to surgery again. I need some assistance BEFORE 3/11 on what I should do. I just don't want to be in menopause at 33!!!!! My fear is going to sleep and being in menopause.

I have cooked SEVERAL meals and have stacked up in the deep freeze for when I am recouping. (Honey can't boil water!) I have cleaned, and WORRIED mainly. The site has been very helpful in a lot of ways, but has scared me some too! I think this "waiting game" is worse than the surgery will probably EVER be! Got a HYPER 11 y/o son that I have no idea how I will handle when I am recovering! Any suggestions anyone? 11 y/o is confused and anxious. How can I help him deal with this too and my hormones and emotions at the same time. Still trying to smile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2002, 11:40 PM
Welcome!

Hi, Cheryl! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the web! I see you are only 33 and not close to natural menopause yet. If your ovaries are healthy, you probably would be better off keeping them, in my opinion. Sometimes there are so many ovarian problems (endometriosis, adhesions, high risk of ovarian cancer, etc.) that it's obvious they should come out. But if your dr only says there is a possibility of fibroids growing on the ovaries, I would think the risk would be low. You can do a search, by going to the top of the page and clicking that purple button, then typing in "keep ovaries" or something similar for this subject. There are many threads here where women discussed this controversial subject. It is a very personal, but sticky decision and you must make peace with it and whatever you decide. My ovaries were not healthy (I let my dr make the decision when he could actually see them during surgery) and I was at borderline risk for ovarian cancer, so I'm glad they are gone now. But I'm 48 and was close to menopause. Also, some women have great difficulty finding just the right type and dose of HRT to make them feel good (check the Hormone Jungle). I'm lucky in that I feel great on Estrace. Anyway, good luck in your research and in making your own decision. We're here to support you as you go through this whole experience, so feel free to post questions or comments. And read all you can to help you feel prepared for your hyst. Hugs and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 03-06-2002, 12:43 AM
I'm Scared Silly

Come by and visit the chat group.....you can have instant answers to your questions and I am sure there are many people who can relate to your exact condition. The support is overwhelming and caring! Look for the chat link above!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register