stomach in knots 8 days to go | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stomach in knots 8 days to go stomach in knots 8 days to go

Unread 03-06-2002, 07:22 AM
stomach in knots 8 days to go

Hi again, I know I should be nervous but its still hard to deal with. I talked to the castle last night, all the pre-op questions, the one that bothered me the most was about the living will oh my. Tomorrow is my pre-op visit with the DR who I haven't met yet (he works with my regular DR). So I have the stress of someone new in the plan. I know I'm just going crazy but the headaches and stomach are getting to me. I'm alittle afraid to ask this new DR for so drugs to calm me but I may have to. I need to be calm or DH will start really worrying . I am so glad you are all out there because you are truely my support system, I almost said that to the castle yesterday but I knew they wouldn't understand. Thanks for all of your advice you have given me a place where I could go and be totally understood. You are all 's and my prayers are with all of you. shell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 02:24 PM

Shell2002,
By all means tell your doc about high anxiety. A low dose of something like Xanax might take the edge off and help you sleep better. Some Doctors feel it's very beneficial, though some are extra cautious, worrying it might be abused.
Celestial Seasoning's "Tension Tamer" or other calming herbal teas might help a little.
Here's hoping you will feel much calmer and more confident after your pre-op appointment!
Unread 03-06-2002, 03:41 PM

shell, I think you will soon discover this is the worst part of your surgery, the waiting really is the bad part!!! the fears that creep into our minds can take the breath away! hang in there, it will be over soon . karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 05:44 PM

{{{SHELL}}}}

I know just how you feel! I would definitely ask about Xanax. I took 1/2 a pill twice a day for my last week (much less than was allowed) and it REALLY took the edge off my anxiety. There is no reason to suffer through this waiting without a little help!

A caution...I love herbal teas, but PLEASE DO NOT drink any herbal teas or take any herbal remedies before your surgery without your doctor's specific permission. This can jeopardize your surgery and you sure don't want to have to endure this wait again!

There's a list of stuff not to take at the top of our forum here. Please review it carefully if you haven't already. Herbs are powerful and can impact many body systems. Be really aware of everything you ingest prior to surgery!

You hang in there, honey, it's almost over and we're all here with you!!!!!

Karen
Unread 03-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Hi Shell

Well I will say it again for all of us waiting is the absolute WORST!
Someone should temporarily remove our imaginations and not give them back to us until after surgery. Everything I imagined was so much worse than anything I experienced.
I am 11 days post today and feel really good. I actually drove a little yesterday. Just a few blocks but hey no problem. But mostly I am reading, watching TV and doing little walks.
Try to keep busy and do all the stuff you love to do. I also did a few relaxation tapes and guided imagery. I think it helped tremendously.
But by all means ask the doctor for something if you need it.
I guess we share the same name and your birthday is the same as my son who is 31.
I'll be thinking of you and saying lot's of prayers too.
It is going to be just fine.

Shelley
Unread 03-06-2002, 06:20 PM

Hi Shell,

I just wanted to say that I agree with the other sisters who posted - the waiting was the hardest part for me.

Please don't be hesitant to ask your doctor for something to relax you beforehand, if he feels it is safe for you.

Let us know how you are doing, please.

's

Karen
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:29 AM

Waiting is terrible! I'm chucklin' at "removing our imaginations" I'm all for that before surgery!

I don't that you will have any problems once the surgery is over, you are totally normal in your feelings.

Hubby told me and all the surgeons told me this too. You are supposed to be nervous, you are human.

and another one just because

Sara
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:44 AM

Ditto to everyone's reply on the waiting! It is the worst time. I worked up until the day before surgery but those thoughts still crept up on me. I hope your doc will give you something to calm you a bit. And concentrate on the positives of having the surgery, make a list to refer to if necessary. I felt better when I admitted to my dh that I was terrified, I think it made it easier to understand when I got a little squirrelly! I have to admit that evenings were the worst for me, my mind wandered to the surgery all the time, and I fixed myself a cocktail! I think that helped me to sleep too. Keep in touch with us!

Unread 03-07-2002, 08:53 AM

I checked the package of "Tension Tamer" tea and among it's dozen ingredients it does contain some kind of ginseng (which is on Kathy's, "Herbs not to Take" list). Sorry!

For a safe alternative you might try smelling dried hops. The scent of hops has a reputation for inducing calm and improving sleep. Dried hops may be found at home-brew suppliers and some natural food stores. You can put them in a cloth bag or sew them into a little pillow. Sweet dreams!
Unread 03-07-2002, 09:06 AM

Another nervous ninny here. I get my crown April 2 but a trip to Hysterland I could do without! I'm nervous every minute of the day - except when I'm being a referee to my girls. I look relatively calm of the outside but people who know me find me a little quieter than usual (I'm obsessing internally!). I have uterine prolapse with my pre-op with doctor March 11. I didn't know anything about this and stumbled onto this site the other day by accident (or fate). It is the best site I've ever been in and will probably visit forever. I never imagined I'd find such support and practical advice on a computer! Good luck to all of us LIW's. We'll all make beautiful princesses.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register