I feel like an IDIOT! (very long, sorry) - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I feel like an IDIOT! (very long, sorry) I feel like an IDIOT! (very long, sorry)

Unread 03-06-2002, 05:40 PM
I feel like an IDIOT! (very long, sorry)

Stepwife - I had LAVH/BSOw/TVT (Bladder Suspension) on the 21st of Feb. I too was scared and questioning my decisions. I had a D&C 2 weeks before my surgery and was told I had dysplasia also. Also found out I had huge fibroids, which oh by the way my old GYN never suspected. But that's another story. I had dreams of not waking up, major pain, and bladder problems, but none of those has come true. Since I had the bladder sugery also I'm having to retrain my bladder, but the ladies I've spoken with that did not have the bladder thing did just fine. The gas is easily taken care of with GASX and walking. I didn't have the 'nesting' thing either. My DH, DS and DDIL helped me clean the weekend before, but as for cooking my DH has been taking care of that. As for the pain it has been minimual for me. In the hospital after the only pain I had was with my back, but that is due to disc problems. Once I was up and walking it got better. With the LAVH the pain is not as bad. My doctor gave me demoral after I went home and I've only taken it once or twice before bed. Mostly to help me sleep. I was pretty anemic before and after my surgery so I was really tired before the surgery. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at any time. m_barker@alltel.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 06:05 PM
oh my gosh this is great

Hi there stepwife, I am in the exact boat you are, but I am waitng for the results of my colpscopy now. @nd pap to come back abnormal since Ocotber never had an abnormal before and now I am scared to death. I wish I already had the results in and done. The pap results show high displaysia also. I have no pain no irregular periods, nothin!!!!!!!!!! This is all a real shock top me too. Please if you get this soon, I wouls love to talk more about it. Thank you for the post. It really helps to hear some one else going throught the same fears.

Good luck,
Jenyrae
Unread 03-06-2002, 07:03 PM
FEELING THE SAME WAY

i AM REALLY GLAD THAT THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT FEELS THE SAME WAY. i DO NOT USUALLY GET ANY PAIN OTHER THAN HEADACHES. MY PROBLEM HAS ALWAYS BEEN VERY HEAVY BLEEDING. I AM SO SICK OF THAT. I HAVE BEEN QUESTIONING MY DECISION. I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO WRITE NOTES TO EACH OF MY 3 CHILDREN JUST IN CASE I DON'T WAKE UP. I HAVE A DAUGHTER GETTING MARRIED THIS OCTOBER AND I WANT HER TO KNOW HOW HAPPY I WILL BE ON THAT DAY. I ALSO HAVE A 21YR OLD SON AND A 12 YR OLD DAUGHTER. THIS SOUNDS SO RIDICULOUS I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM ACTUALLY TELLING YOU ALL THIS. I AM PETRIFIED THAT MY NOW WONDERFUL SEX LIFE WILL BE OVER. I KNOW THAT MY BF WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT. THEN ANOTHER THOUGHT THAT I HAVE IS THAT WHEN THE DOC OPENS ME UP, HE WILL FIND CANCER THAT HE HAS MISSED ALL ALONG!! ISN'T THAT A GOOD ONE.
I WILL CONTINUE TO TALK TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE SUPPORT THAT IS SO GREATLY NEEDED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 03:11 AM

I am glad that I am not the only one feeling this way. I just told my hubby that I might cancel the surgery. I have no pain now so I think my problems are over. Schedule for a TAH/BSO on March 12 for Right ovarian cyst irregular periods with cramping. I decided to take the L ovary because I do not want to have surgery again if needed. I am 47 and the ovaries haven't been working well since I been having hot flashes night sweats ect. Any way I have been questioning my decision. I have been planning things for just in case I don't wake up or I have the big fear of being opened up and they find cancer and there is nothing they can do. Why is it easier to think the worst? I am glad you posted and others replied. I don't feel so alone. My poor Hubby must think I went nuts on him.
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:07 AM

s to y'all L.I.W.

I know how you feel, I have been there!

But, as Tracy, my surgery sister said, all the stress before the surgery is really the worst part! I totally agree that the waiting is the worst part.

I was in constant pain for over a year. Sex, breathing, walking. Tired of 3 week periods, cramping, never being able to sit or stand for too long. What kind of life is that?

Hubby finally told me 2 nights before the surgery that he thinks I'm brave to get this done. To improve my quality of life. He trusts the doctors and knows that everything will be okay. And, that helped tremendously!! I slept so good the next 2 nights...

Of course the day of the surgery was a different story, but I lived and I am healing.

Soon, y'all will be es and can tell the new L.I.W. that yes, the waiting was the hardest part.

Sara
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:04 AM

I had a TVH and virtually had no pain after surgery, I call it some discomfort at times that is all! If you have problems with gas pains, try this: while sitting on the toilet, bend from the waist like trying to lay your head on your knees. This is an easier thing to try for TVH because there is no incision to pull. I know how hard it is not to freak out and I certainly would not get upset about the nesting syndrome, I doubt if the household will fall apart in the few days that you are down. Just remember that you will not be slug, you will be able to move around the house and might show interest in doing some little things in the housekeeping category. I did some light dusting, washed some dishes (no heavy pots and pans) and made lists of things I wanted to do as I got more mobile. I know that you will do just fine, just hang in there. Make a list of all the good that will come about when you are a . No more periods, no more worrying about results of pap smears, etc. Keep coming with the questions and concerns!

Unread 03-07-2002, 07:06 AM

Hi Debbie,
I'm a lot like you. I will be 46 in 3 months. I don't have any pain, etc. But - I do have large fibroid and heavy, heavy periods. In between periods - I am fine. I too am having TAH/BSO. I want both ovaries removed. I have been having flashes and bad night swearts (for at least 2-3 yrs) - actually have to get up and change clothes! So - I know my ovaries aren't going to be around too much longer anyway. You made a decision based on facts at the time you made it....so don't let nerves change the facts. Good luck on the 12th. I go in on the 11th!!!!!!!! Can't wait till it's all over.
MaryP
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:26 AM
ME TOO

I love reading these, they say everything I feel. Like many of you, I had no symptoms except heavy periods then all of a sudden a huge mass! Several days of waiting to find out if it was ovarian and such a relief that it wasnt! Just finsihed my period and I feel great, thought about calling the Dr. in the middle of the night just to make sure my huge fibroid was still there. I am questioning this alot and due to have TAH/BSO on Tuesday. Hoping this is just a natural "last ditch effort" on my part.... thinking I should have tried harder to make friends with my fibroid or something
Please say this is all normal. Dr. said you have felt bad for so long you won't believe how great you feel??? Does this sound right? Keep me going
Thanks to all of you!
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Hi Sisters

Just wanted to say that I too had no pain with the surgery. Okay a minute in recovery until they got the pain med in me. Then no pain in the hospital at all. Took one pain pill the day after I got home, following a one hour commute. I can honestly say the endometrial biopsy I had in December was worse than the surgery.
Yes, I had some soreness when I would get up to walk etc. But that has gone away very rapidly. I do recommend the Gas-X and stool softeners. I was 8 days post-op before went. So after making up for lost time...I was alittle sore.
But overall this has been pretty easy and nothing I imagined actually happened! My anesthesiologist was awesome as well as my surgeon.
I had, had no previous pain. Just periods from hell and constant anemia and fatigue. They took everything out and found more masses they weren't even looking for. So I came home 12 pounds lighter and with a flatter tummy in spite of it all.
No more periods, PMS, anemia, ruined clothes, ruined vacations etc. I am a happy camper!
I will for you and wish you all the best decisions for you and smooth sailing in your surgeries and recoveries.
We are here for you.

Shelley
Unread 03-08-2002, 04:18 AM

Tacker

I wanted to reply to your doc's comment about feeling bad for so long. My doc told me exactly the same thing, I kept telling him in the hospital how great I felt and he said that's because you have felt bad for a long time. These discomforts/pain come on gradually and as women we gut up and work our way through the pain. As the pain gradually increases, we tell our bodies to repress it and again keep working through it. He said if we would have the pain come on to its worst in a months time we would be incapacitated! It's a female thing, we are just geared to keep on plugging! I have been 6 weeks pain free, and it is like being a new person. You will do great! Keep us posted.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register