New here -- first post | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here -- first post New here -- first post

Unread 03-06-2002, 10:23 AM
New here -- first post

Hello ladies! I found this site about a week ago and have been reading all the wonderful and informative posts since then. Short history on me -- I'm 37, have suffered with chronic pelvic pain and ovarian cysts since 1992. Had a lap in 93 - extensive adhesions found, left ovary and bowel fused to uterus. All was lasered, barrier inserted, everything was good for a few years. In 95 pain started to get severe again, OB/GYN recommended I try to conceive NOW or face the possibility of infertility. That started four years of infertility treatments, including another lap in 98. Adhesions found again, as well as severely enlarged pelvic veins. After two miscarriages and more fertility drugs than I care to think about, I finally gave birth to twins in Sept. 99 by c-section. I am now suffering daily, likely have more adhesions from my c-section, and am at my wits end with pain.

I've tried Depo Provera and birth control pills to shut down my system, but the pain continues. I'm now needing Vicodan to get through my periods (and this in on birth control pills).

I am scheduled to start physical therapy with a PT who specializes in pelvic pain on March 19th. If that fails, I will be heading for surgery again, and my OB/GYN has suggested I consider a laporascopic hysterectomy. This is huge for me. My family is complete, so that's not a problem. But the surgery just seems so drastic for what boils down to a quality of life issue. I know many of you are facing dysplasia, fibroids, heavy bleeding and other issues that truly make a hysterectomy necessary. But for me it's just a matter of pain. Is that enough to go through the surgery?

My big concern is caring for my twins (who are 2.5 years old) after the surgery. My husband is wonderful with them, and my mother-in-law lives right next door and I'm sure would be a huge help to us, but is it fair for me to affect so many lives for 4-6 weeks because I don't want to be in pain anymore????

This is such a big decision for me, as I'm sure it's been for all of you. Just looking for some guidance, support, anything to help me get through this!

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 10:37 AM
New here -- first post

Hi Susan,
I have endured pain with my periods from day 1. I have been on birth control pills and massive doses of Ibuprofen. Finally, this last year I have been unable to take Ibuprofen due to stomach problems, and have really suffered with my periods. I also had an abnormal pap and had to have an endometrial biopsy and an ultrasound. (No fun!) I'm scheduled to have a LAVH on 3/19. I guess my answer to your question is, yes, at least for me, pain is enough of a reason to have this done. Yes, it's an inconvenience for a few weeks but if the pain is gone it should be well worth it. Quality of life is important and I just don't think the suffering is necessary. Of course, the decision is up to you and how long you want to put up with this. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
Kristy
Isn't this site the greatest?
Unread 03-06-2002, 02:46 PM
go for it

Susan,
I had my LAVH 48 hours ago. I wouldn't have believed I'd feel so well so soon. I had an Orudis (pain pill) this morning but have not needed the Anexia (extra pain pill) except to ensure good sleep last night. I've been wandering around the house most of the day (observing dust bunnies and admonishing myself to not even THINK about the vacuum) and I had a nap this afternoon. Sure, my belly is sore and I'm groaning a bit, but not as much as I expected.
With your support system you will have fewer problems with your recovery than you think, plus you will feel so much better afterwards! Your health & comfort is important to you AND your family. Good luck and good health!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 03:40 PM
New here -- first post

When you described your pain it sounded like you have really been SUFFERING. I don't think your twins or husband and family would want you to have to live like that when there is a treatment to end it. Has this pain affected your ability to play and have fun with your children or even take care of them during your period? My pain has, and for me one of my motivations is to be able to give my child the ability to have her mother for her every day of the month and not see me bedridden with pain during certain days each month. Sometimes there are parties or things planned that my little girl (age 6) will have to go to with daddy instead of mommy because "mommy" is in pain. It breaks my heart when she says, "but mommy can't you come too?"

I'm glad that you have someone to help out with the twins if you do decide to have surgery. That sounds like such a blessing, and a good opportunity for the twins to also bond with grandma. If you have the surgery you are only affecting others lives for a short time of healing, if you continue with the pain it will be a month, after month, after month......of affecting lives, but more importantly of YOU suffering needlessly.

I know this is not an easy decision. I still try to figure out how I can avoid this surgery! However my pain keeps reminding me that it must be done I am in the process of waiting on three surgeons to figure out how they can be in my surgery on the same day, but my surgery should be in April I imagine. I think it is normal to second-guess our doctors and our own experiences as this is a big decision. I wish you the best and pray that you will be pain-free or in much less pain in the near future! God bless.
Unread 03-06-2002, 03:57 PM
New here -- first post

Hi Susan. I would like to tell you what my BF told me when I had the surgery (surprised the heck out of me too). He said "Sometimes life isn't fair and things happen that you didn't plan for. This is one of those things. I know that as a woman you are pre-programmed to care for everybody else, especially the kids, and put your needs last, but this time you need to focus on you just for this little while. It will be OK and your life will be better and you will be able to be a better mom to your kids after you've gotten through this."
Think I'll keep him .
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-06-2002, 03:57 PM
New here -- first post

I had my TAH/BSO + bladder repair on Jan.2002. I too suffered long, I have 3 kids the youngest 4. I am sure with twins its much different, your family will understand of course of the situation that your in-don't feel guilty, its time sweetie-I for one would do it all over again, and its time to take care of you. the recovery time doesn't last forever, and I am sure if you sit down and talk it over with your family they would be glad to help out in any way they can. We sisters are here for you. and that all goes well in your choice.

steph
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:06 PM
New here -- first post

susan
I just read you post and I know how you feel
I don't have pain ,heavy bleeding ,or anything like most
of the ladies here
I am having my hyster. done on the 18th because of a fibroid that is 13cm and prolapse I wet on myself when I cough or sneeze my prolapse is not bad but I don't want to wate till everything falls out to have it done so I am have my dd take everything out and repair what he can cause I don't want to go through this again
as I am just 42 years old I have asthma and I smoke which I have given up cause I don't want to go throug this again
so my answer to you ? is yes have the surgery
get rid of the pain so you can be the person you were ment to be
s ladypeewee
Unread 03-06-2002, 04:36 PM
New here -- first post

Hi There!

Welcome To Hystersisters!

We're glad you are here!

You have received some very good advice from these wonderful gals here already, but I also wanted to chime in.

Most hysterectomies are elective, and not life-saving. Quality of life is very important - please do not feel guilty for wanting some of it. I do think you need to feel comfortable with your decision; if it means going to get second and third opinions for other options or alternatives, then please consider that.

If you do ultimately decide this is what you are going to do, then I ask you again, please do not feel guilty. The initial recovery period of 6 - 8 weeks has to be all about you and your healing. That is nothing compared to the rest of your life with your loved ones. They will gladly and lovingly sacrifice that tiny amount of time wherein the tables are turned and you need them to care for you.

Best wishes to you, sweetie - Welcome - and please let us know how things progress for you.

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register