Counting the days and getting worried | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Counting the days and getting worried Counting the days and getting worried

Unread 03-06-2002, 10:47 AM
Counting the days and getting worried

I am new to all of this and I'm trying to get ready for my TAH.
I was a bit upset that I could not have a TVH. Dr. told me I have a small pelvic opening. IF you could see my hips you would not believe her either.
<p>
Either way, I just want to get this done. Too much pain and bleeding right now.
<p>
I have been reading a lot of the messages here and it helps to know there are so many women I can turn to.
<p>
Has anyone out there been told they have too small of a pelvis to do a TVH? I have had two childern via C-Section so I guess I don't have a good reference point.
<p>
Is a TVH any easier to recover from than a TAH? Should I push for a vaginal procedure or go with the Dr.s suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 11:50 AM

(((((Dove)))))))

I'm sorry the dr burst your bubble about the route to take with your hyst. If you really want to try the TVH, I don't see where it would hurt to talk to her again about it. Just don't get your hopes up in case the answer remains the same. She could always go into the OR and give it a try and if she finds there's really not enough room to do the work, then do the abdominal hyst. Usually, with a scheduled vaginal hyst, a paper has to be signed prior to surgery anyway giving permission to do an abdominal hyst just in case it becomes impossible to do the surgery vaginally.

I used to work labor & delivery and there were plenty of women who had to have C-sections because of the pelvic region being too small for delievery and, no, you couldn't always tell by looking at them from the outside. So, outside size isn't not always indicitative of how someone is on the inside. Our pelvic region comes in lots of different sizes and shapes. That's one reason why so many babies or mothers died during childbirth so so many years ago before C-sections came along.

No matter which way you have the surgery, the same work is done on the inside. The difference is that with vaginal, you don't have the extra external incision to deal with. That part can take a little longer to heal.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Unread 03-06-2002, 09:00 PM
Hi

I had a tah and got along great. not much pain at all. However whatever you have you have a lot of work done inside so the same goes for the healing process. It is soooo normal to be nervous but if you want to find out more call the DR they should give you all the info that you will need. Sometimes a vaginal hyst is not possible. God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 08:03 PM

Just read your post when I found out we are having our surgeries on the same day. My doc said a vag hyst at this point but would know for sure when I go for my 6 wk checkup on 4 Apr from the cone procedure. He said he would give my uterus a tug and that he'd be able to tell if a vag was possible...otherwise he said I'd be looking at a bikini incision.

I had my only child at age 18 and insisted on doing it natural. Well, it got to the point that they almost had to use the forceps to bring him out because I have small pelvic bones. So I'm preparing for a bikini incision just in case.
Unread 03-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Welcome!!!

((((((((Dove))))))))

I was also, told that I have a very small pelvis.... Have had 3 c-sections...

Only, you and your doctor would know what's best for you...

If, your doctor thinks your pelvis is too small, then it might be best to talk with him/her again before your surgery to ask why or if you can have a TVH instead of a TAH...

But, either way.... I hope you have a speedy recovery and my thoughts and best wishes too you!

When you are feeling up too it..come in chat and visit with us..we'll be there waiting to see how your recovery is going...

See you on the other side...
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:22 AM
Thank you all

Thank you for all for the support. I am touched that so many women, who don't even know me, have been so kind and suppotive.

I have my pre-surgery appiontment today and will ask about the TVH vs the TAH. Either way I will be gald when it is all over.

I have been on the internet and found a lot of information on the surgey and recovery.
******I found a site that should be avoided at all costs *****
"HERS" is an organization that is 100% opposed to hysterectomies for any reason. They give a lot of misleading information and even try to dissuade women for getting the surgey even if they have abnormal cells!! Thank God I found this site too!! You have all given me a more positive approacch and so many hints on making the recovery as easy as possible, and who would know more that the women that have been through it.

25 days and counting!!!!! but now I'm not counting alone I have all my Hyster-Sisters counting with me.
Thank you
Dove
Unread 03-18-2002, 10:40 AM

Dove, I agree with you about HERS. I unfortunately found that site when I was searching for information before I found this wonderful one. I was quite offended by some of the comments. Being Canadian I don't see any surgery as a "cash grab" I think they called it. Please ignore this site, they should be ashamed of themselves. I did recommend this site to my DR and told her to warn people away from HERS.

Good Luck.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register