Worried but Ready | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried but Ready Worried but Ready

Unread 03-06-2002, 12:15 PM
Worried but Ready

Okay, ya'll. I AM ready! But, I still have questions.

Such as, do you guys think that the gyn I'm seeing for the first time on the 13th will actually agree with my pcp? The pcp says that I have vaginal prolapse. Since my hormones are wacky all the time, my cycles last two weeks, and I have daily migraines at different times of the day, he wants to do a hysto. BUT, he also says I need rectocele and cystocele repair. OUCH!

I remember when my first child was born - vaginally - and they did an episiotomy. I screamed so loud when I had to have my first bm. I understand that the only way to do the repairs is to do the same type of incision as the episiotomy. That scares me to death! I think I'll have to go on a strictly liquid diet before the surgery, clean myself out really good because I just don't think I could stand that pain again.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about???

I don't mean to ramble. I have another &^$% headache!

Thanks for listening!

Joann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Worried but Ready

Hi, JoAnn,

I wanted to wish you luck with your GYN appointment. I didn't have the type of repairs you described, but I'm thinking of you.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-06-2002, 03:47 PM
Worried but Ready

Hi Joanne, yes, I can relate, I had a TVH/BSO/A&P repair and resuspension. The incision(s) is/are 99% on the inside of you where there are not that many pain receptors. Also I don't know if your pcp explained it but the rectocele repair is done from inside the vagina so while I won't lie and tell you it doesn't hurt the first time you have a BM, because you are stretching the area and putting pressure on it, it's not the same as if you have one when you've had an episiotomy that went all the way through to your rectum (I did once and I assume that's what you had that was so awful). The biggest effect you will have from the repair is a major swelly belly for a while. The amount on the outside is smaller than an episiotomy (at least smaller than the ones I had, but then I had enormous babies). I have had other problems since the surgery (which you will not have!) that FAR outweigh and overshadow any discomfort from the incisions. In fact, in diagnosing these other problems I had to have an internal exam the other day (at my 4 week mark) and it wasn't even that awful, despite the fact that I was dreading it big time. I know that no matter how many times someone else tells you not to worry, you will anyway, but I am hoping that other sisters out there who had A&P repairs will chime in and tell you it's really not as bad as it sounds.
Good luck and lots of
s,
- Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 06:01 AM
Worried but Ready

My babies were huge too. My first one weighed 9-13. The other pregnancy was a triplet pregnancy. The babies (all live births and now 15 yrs old) were 15 pounds total.

I only had my first one vaginally. His head was too big for me so despite the episiotomy, I ripped a little. I don't know about the inside damage but I would assume he caused some problems there as well. Not to mention the triplets. Everything was really squished with all of them in there!

Thank you so much for your concern and advice. This site is really great! My family all feel empathy for what I am going through but I don't think they really understand. The mother in law has had one and the sister in law and my mother have all undergone this in one form or another. The men folk have no clue! My husband just wants me to feel better. He knows how miserable I've been.
He wants his old Joann back! So do I!

My neurologist thinks that once the surgery is done my chronic headaches should dissipate. Oh, Lord, I hope so!!!!

Thanks again for your support. Keep it coming....

Joann
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:51 AM
Worried but Ready

Did the dr. say the repair would be like that? Or are you assuming it will. Be sure and ask. None of my stitches were on the outside.

The repair was not bad. Everyone is different, but for me, it was such a great improvement, I'd do it again in a flash. I was able to sit without a donut pillow and the pain I had attributed to the repair has been reported by women here who did not have repairs.( I am referring to the pain with bm's for a while.) My potty time is so much nicer, too. Everything works better.

Hope yours goes like mine did.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register