HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 03-06-2002, 08:07 PM
enema ???

I had my pre op today and doc says must do fleets enema night before surgery. . Here's my question. How can you do this by yourself? I've looked at the photos on the box and looks like it will be difficult to do without some help. Now don't get me wrong. My DH would be willing to do whatever is necessary, but I tend to think this is a bit too personal to share even with him. Not to mention that he thinks it's a real hoot and we'd both be laughing so hard that I'd probably end up with a real mess if you know what I mean . Any suggestions (or positions) would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 03-06-2002, 08:27 PM
enema ???

Hi, as a nurse I can tell you that enemas are not as hard to do to yourself as you might be thinking. I have given a "few" in my time. Of course it is easier if you can have your hubby help, but the giggling might get in the way!

If you follow the directions and lay on your left side if you are right handed or vs. versa, then place the tip of the enema "gently" into the rectum and slowly squeeze the solution in, you'll do just fine. You won't be able to squeeze all of it in, don't worry. There will be plenty of it to work. The key is to try and hold it for as long as you can, (not easy) and it will work better. It's pretty easy to do!

Best of luck!! What fun!

Lori
Unread 03-06-2002, 08:32 PM
Enema

My Dr told me for three nites prior to surgery to take two senecot's and then I probably would not have to do the fleets enema and I am so glad that I didn't have to do that ..She told me that the laxative will clean me completely out whereas the enema sometimes only cleans out the rectum and if I was all cleaned out then I'd have an easier time having a BM after the srugery and she was right I had no problem at all and didn't have to do the enema etiher I hate those things
Unread 03-06-2002, 08:36 PM
enema ???

Lori,
Thanks for the info. I'll be giving it a try. You know, I love my DH to death, but there are just some experiences left unshared. Sometimes the less they know the less they can tease you about later.:GRIN:
Unread 03-07-2002, 01:08 PM
fleets

The enema went easier than expected--no muss, no fuss. Lay on your left side because your colon descends to the rectum on that side of the body. My motel bathroom was so dinky that I had to "do it" laying on the bed--on towels in case of drips (weren't any). I made my DH leave the room for a while. The hard part was waiting for 15 minutes when you'd really rather go sooner. I discovered that layering sheets of T.P. into the pot between urges helped reduce "spash-back." Keeping a sense of humor about the adventure is the best medicine. Good luck!
Unread 03-07-2002, 03:13 PM
A WORD OF CAUTION

Ladies, please check with your doctor before trying any bowel preparation. If you don't follow your own doctor's bowel prep instructions, your surgery could be cancelled.

Also, there's a chance of getting severely dehydrated, if you "prepare" your bowels too vigorously. Surgery can be dangerous under these circumstances.

Each doctor has her/his own bowel prep program. Please take care to understand exactly what your doctor wants you to do, and follow those instructions carefully.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-07-2002, 03:39 PM
enema ???

Gosh, I cannot imagine giving one to myself. I would not do it. My hat is off to all of you who actually have. I was admitted at midnite & my TAH was 7:30am that morning. They prepped me from midnite on. When we were done I got to sleep for a while before it was time to go down to the O.R. The enema was one of the 1st things done. Then shaved, I.V. etc...I preferred having someone else do it. Best of luck to you!
Unread 03-07-2002, 08:19 PM
enema ???

I had never had an enema. Both my boys were natural childbirth. The second doctor was mad because the nurses had not prep me but it was too late, Daniel came fast and furious and so did something extra while I was pushing. All to say that I did the Fleet enema thing and did not like it one bit but I thought of the alternative. Looking forward to tomorrow because of the support I received here from my sisters I am not afraid. Thanks Marie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.