Questions about TVH & what to expect | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about TVH & what to expect Questions about TVH & what to expect

Unread 03-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Questions about TVH & what to expect

Hello everyone....obviously I am new here. I am scheduled to have a TVH on the 18th of March (We're not sure yet if the cervix is going to be removed.) Anyway, I am very anxious to know what to expect after surgery. I haven't had my pre-op visit yet so I hope maybe I can get some answers here. I am concerned about the pain involved after surgery. I have four children...three of which are four and under and I am just feeling overwhelmed at the thought of the recovery period and the thought of physical limitations that will be placed on me. I am going to have help for appx. 3 weeks following surgery but is that adequate time? I am also concerned about resuming a sexual relationship with my husband. I have always thought that an orgasm is caused by the uterus filling up with blood and then contracting at the final moment. I apologize for sounding ignorant but I don't see how it is going to be possible to enjoy a fulfilling sexual relationship after surgery. Am I totally wrong? I am only 31 and it scares me to think that that part of my life might be over. Please help if you can. Thank all of you out there for this wonderful site. It is such a comfort to know that there is support out there. As I said, I am new here but already feel the love and kindness that all of you have shown the women who post here. Again, many thanks and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 08:30 PM
TVH

I had my TVH on 2/19 and came home the next day I have three children. And to me the pain of this surgery is less than the pain of childbirth Other than you are pretty tired I am now two weeks post op and get tired I dont' sleep during the day but have to lay down My hubby won't let me do anything around here til my post op check next week at three weeks post op..I feel great tho.. But if you are having TVH they will remove your cervix There is no getting around that. If you want to hear more just email me and I'll write to you It is not bad at all trust me..I can tell you all about my experiance but it would be too long to post but would be very willing to email you about it and how I felt and feel adn what I went thru
Kim
Unread 03-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Pre-Op and After ?'s

Welcome New Sister,

I am going for my pre-op on 3/12 and my surgery is scheduled for 3/19.

I can't tell you anything about the surgery yet, but I can tell you that I have a 6 year old daughter and I plan on having numerous people help me during my recovery for at least 6-8 weeks. We only get a chance to heal correctly once.

I thought you should read "Princess Kathy's Story". It is here on the website and is honest and funny.

She takes you through pre-op to arriving at hospital, surgery, etc. There are also other stories by sister's about the whole kit and caboodle.

But most important...try to relax. The waiting is the worst I know. Gather as much information from this site and by talking to people who have been through this. The better informed you are the better you are to make a sound decision. I started a binder of items from this site that I thought I should read a few times.

There are posts with advice on what to take to the hospital, equipment to rent for when you get home, getting the house ready, etc.

Email me anytime....dawnnuccetelli@yahoo.com

Love and to you now and always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 08:42 PM
sex etc.

While the mechanism of orgasm is different from woman to woman, and some women's orgasms are strengthened by uterine contractions, the clitoris is a woman's main orgasmic organ, as far as I know. Some women can have vaginal orgasms too, but (I think) that has to do with the clitoris being placed so that it gets stimulated during sex. Apparently different women can have really different anatomy down there, which may be why some have vaginal orgasms and some don't.

Everything I've read on this board reassures me that sex is, usually, no worse and often better after hysterectomy. You'll still have all the parts you need to have orgasms. It may feel different; it may feel exactly the same.

I haven't had my hyst yet (1 week and counting) and I am a bit nervous what sex will feel like afterwards, but I'm optimistic.

Hope that sets your mind at ease.

Melissa
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:22 AM
Questions about TVH & what to expect

A TVH will include the cervix, as there is no way to perform this without taking the cervix. If your post op is similar to mine, and you have help for 3 weeks (lucky you), you will be amazed at how quickly you will recover. Just remember to rest and follow doc's post op instructions. I don't think you will have any complaints about the sex; just remember no intercourse til your doc says! I don't think the uterus plays an important part in sex in most women, so I wouldn't dwell on that aspect too much. The post op pain was nil for me, more of a slight discomfort, nothing like the after pains of childbirth or the pain with a period! I am sure that you will do well, make a list of your concerns for your pre op visit so that you don't miss anything. And keep in touch with us!

Unread 03-07-2002, 06:00 AM
Don't read if you feel offended or embarassed about the sexual side of being a woman.

I had the same kind of hyst, only with the laprascope added and a few little tummy incisions. No pain I felt afterwards was as bad as what I had with my periods. You are lucky to have someone to help with the kids the first 3 weeks and may even find that you don't need them that long. Go ahead and take advantage of it anyway...wink wink. You will be a and deserve the pampering!

Now on to the other questions...
I'm glad you found this site pre. I didn't have it until post and I wondered the sames thing about orgasms. Even though I'm a nurse, they didn't tell us this part in school & of course I didn't learn it from observations with hyst patients in the hosp.

Pre, I was able to feel uterine contraction with some of my more intense orgasms and was worried that I'd never have this feeling again. Even though this kind didn't happen real often, I was sad thinking I may never experience it again. However, I had read on here by a couple of women that after awhile the other muscles in that area can eventually take this place. I have been happy to find that a couple of times since my hyst, this has happened to me too!!!

Lots of women have only experienced clitoral orgasms - pre or post. Since the clitoris is on the outside of the vagina, it is not removed during a hyst, so don't worry about not being able to have this kind of orgasm.

Another area for orgasms is at the G-spot. This is a slightly "rough" area inside the vagina, closer down to the opening of the vagina. This is probably the vaginal orgasm Melissa was referring to. It is a little harder to find than the clitoris, but is a very pleasurable type of orgasm. Some women who are unaware of what is happening here either try to fight this kind off or reposition themselves/stop doing what's causing this sensation because it can feel the same at the beginning of this type of orgasm as the urge to urinate. That is because of the closeness to the bladder. If you urinate prior to intercourse and have no bladder problems, you should be ok.

If you have any more questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register