HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Are STD's possible after hysterectomy? Are STD's possible after hysterectomy?

Unread 03-07-2002, 05:25 AM
Are STD's possible after hysterectomy?

Once we had hysterectomy, are we still vulnerable to STD's, yeast infections and such? Can we still get AIDS?
Are these questions stupid?
I am married (16 years) and do not have multiple partners, but it would be nice to know that you can't get these things any more.
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:29 AM

Yes, STDs are still possible after a hyst. You can even get some in the mouth/throat from oral sex. Yeast infections are still possible too. Sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear. There is no such thing as stupid questions. It's better that you ask and know the truth instead of worry and take a chance, especially with something concerning your health.
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:32 AM

Oh yes! If you have sex you can get STDs. Most STDs do not effect the uterus, but vagina and vulva area, and AIDS knows no boundaries. All the rules for protection from STDs apply no matter what!

Unread 03-07-2002, 05:33 AM

I'm pretty sure it's possible to get aids and std's still, I'm married too and not worried about it, but if I were single, I'd still use precautions, not worth the risks. But the yeast infections, I'd wondered about that too. I've only had one yeast infection my whole life, but I wondered if it were even possibly to get one now. I'm not sure what causes yeast infections, I was pregnant when I got it the one time.
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:23 AM
YEAST INFECTIONS

Yeast infections are actually fungal infections and loves dark, warm, damp places. Some women are lucky enough to never have one, some only have one or so during their lifetime, and others just prone to them.

Some of the causes are from taking antibiotics, birth control pills, frequent douching, obesity, pregnancy, diabetes mellitus, steroid therapy, or chronic debilitative diseases.

Usually, the vaginal discharge is thick and irritating and is white or yellow patchy and cheese-like particles adhere to the vaginal walls. But you can have the beginning of a yeast infection and not notice the discharge yet. The most common symptom is itching, but you can also have other symptoms such as burning with urination because of the irritation to these soft tissues.

If you have had yeast infections and know for sure what it is when you have one, you can buy medications for it over the counter. Otherwise, see your dr because there are other things that could cause some of the same symptoms. Sometimes eating yogurt helps in preventing the yeast infections, especially if you are prone to getting one when on certain antibiotics. Eat yogurt from the beginning of the antibiotic therapy.

It is possible that yeast infections can be passed back and forth sexually. If you have them recurring, you should check with your dr about you and your partner both being treated at the same time and refraining from intercourse during the therapy so you can get rid of this little bugger.

Another thing in prevention is to make sure you stay as dry as you can "down there". Wear cotton panties and avoid panty hose, tight pants or wet bathing suits. Occasionally wearing these should be ok, but you don't want to stay in them too long or too often if you are prone to yeast infections. Remember, I said it likes dark, warm, moist places. My dr once told me to use a hair dryer to dry this area after bathing. He warned me to use the low setting and said, "be careful, we don't want a rump roast".

Also, unless your dr tells you to, avoid douching or other feminine hygeine products. These rid the vagina of the normal flora. This "good bacteria" helps "eat" away the stuff that's not supposed to grow there.
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:25 AM

Thanks for your answers. It amazes me often how little do we know about ourselves. I thought, it will be only a dead-end area, so what can happen.
Unread 03-07-2002, 09:14 AM

Dawn,
You seem to have been very informative with your respsonse. Have you come across any information about Vaginal powder. I did not have dr's clearance on it but I did start using it two and one half weeks post op to stay dry. I have always used it in the past becasue I am one with increased moisture which can be irritating if I don't use the powder. I have been careful not to put it on my incision. Just wondering if you have read anything on its relationship to yeast infections
Unread 03-07-2002, 09:27 AM

Dawn,
I had wrote a thread on this subject last week. I went to the Dr. because I had a bump down there. I have been with my husband for 10 years and My Dr. thought I had herpes. She said I could have gotten from cold sores and oral sex. Or even had it for a long time and didnt know it. She also said you can contract Std even after a hyst. Thank God my test came back negative!!! I am very educated now on std's since that scare.

Shawna
Unread 03-07-2002, 11:05 AM

Kinda makes you wonder why something that can cause so much pleasure end up being such a pain, doesn't it?

OK...Just to clear things a little, I used to work as an RN in OB/GYN, so please don't assume I personally have first hand experience with every STD since I have a little knowledge about them.

Since there are so many STDs and much to say about them, instead of putting all details here, just feel free to ask any questions in particular you have about them or if you want, you may e-mail me privately (press e-mail button at bottom of my post).

Yes, Shawna, the herpes virus can remain in your system hiding out for many years without your even knowing it and then one day, there's the blister. And this can be spread from the genitalia to the mouth with oral sex and vice versa. There is more than one kind. The herpes simplex kind known as cold sores is not really a STD, but can be spread. So, not everyone who has a fever blister got it from sex. Anytime you have a fever blister, please try to avoid touching it and use careful handwashing. It can be spread to the eyes and this is dangerous to your vision.

There are other STDs that may lurk about within one's body without being known it's even there too. Some such as Chlamydia or much worse, HIV. These can be spread before any symptoms ever appear and can lead to damage within your body. As we all know, HIV leads to AIDS and is deadly. Hepatitis damages the liver. HPV can lead to genital warts or cervical cancer. Some others can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease. So, please be careful!

You can't always tell by looking at someone's private parts if they are carrying a disease and sometimes they don't even know it themselves since some may not have symptoms.
Unread 03-07-2002, 06:53 PM
KNOW ABOUT HERPES!

THIS IS A TOPIC I REALLY DO KNOW ABOUT. I HAVE HAD GENITAL HERPES FOR 23YRS. I FIRST GOT THIS WONDERFUL CONDITION WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST 3 MTHS OLD. THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE A BREAK OUT, YOU ARE REALLY SICK. YOU FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE A VERY BAD CASE OF THE FLU. YOU COULD RUN A TEMP, HAVE SWOLLEN GLANDS EVERYWHERE AND FEEL PRETTY MUCH CRAPPY. I WAS LOADED WITH SORES ALL AROUND MY VAGINAL AREA AND UP INSIDE ALSO. THE POINT I AM MAKING IS THIS, WHEN YOU HAVE GENITAL HERPES, YOU KNOW IT!!! THE THING THAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER IS THAT IT IS NOT A DEATH SENTENCE ALTHOUGH ONCE YOU HAVE IT YOU HAVE IT FOR LIFE. EVERYTIME YOU HAVE A OUTBREAK THE SYMPTOMS ARE LESS AND LESS. MY EX-HUSBAND, NEVER HAD A OUTBREAK BECAUSE HE IS ONLY A CARRIER. YOU CAN LIVE A VERY NORMAL LIFE WITH THIS, JUST DON'T HAVE SEX WHEN YOU ARE HAVING A BREAKOUT AND BE SURE TO TELL YOUR PARTNER THAT YOU HAVE HERPES.
WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF MY HERPES OCCURS MORE FREQUENTLY ONCE I HAVE MY HYST. I AM BOTHER WITH IT PROBABLY ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR NOW. NO BIG DEAL!
THANKS FOR THIS WONDERFUL WEB-SITE. LOVE READING ALL YOU GIRLS HAVE TO SAY!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.