clear liquid diet | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

clear liquid diet clear liquid diet

Unread 03-07-2002, 09:50 AM
clear liquid diet

Silly question -- any suggestions for a healthy clear liquid diet (for the day before surgery? I did one before and drank soda and ate jello, and I felt awful!! I'm thinking chicken broth, water, and herbal tea. I don't tolerate fruit juices well and am not fond of veggie juices (besides, some of those aren't clear), but I'd consider anything that might help me!! Any veggie juice suggestions? Or other stuff?

Thanks!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 09:59 AM
clear liquid diet

Absolutely avoid soda unless you stir the bubbles out til it's flat. They cause gas.

plain popsicles is all that comes to mind.

Your drs nurse will probably have a load of suggestions.
Unread 03-07-2002, 10:31 AM
clear liquid diet

Hey, surgery sister!
Thanks for responding to my post, and I would love to hold your hand!! What time is your surgery? Mine is 7:30. I will gain alot of comfort knowing you are with me!! As far as your question; I am an RN, and this is what we tell patients. Anything that you can hold up to a light and see through is considered a clear liquid. These include coffee(black), alot of juices( not orange) and teas. Jello also counts. Please be careful with the amount of soda you drink, as this will cause gas. I hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing from you when we are finally !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 11:18 AM
clear liquid diet

Hi Melissa, yes, sodas are not a good idea...broth is great. Do you have problems with all fruit juices or just certain ones? Have you tried pear juice, which is usually the first juice we give young babies? (Or at least it was when I had mine.) Or have you tried mixing the juice 50/50 with water? Cranberry juice is very good for preventing bladder infections...they gave it to me all I wanted at the castle. Good luck, you're going to do great!
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-07-2002, 12:38 PM
clear liquid diet

Here's a concoction that was a bit nourishing:
I took a whole bag of fresh triple-washed spinach and put it in a steamer basket in a big pot over a couple inches of water. Steam until spinach wilts down (freeze for someday). Save the green water!
I mixed the spinach-water about 50-50 with low sodium (who needs extra salt just prior to becoming a swelly-belly?) Chicken Broth. Hmmm, not bad. You can vary the mix to taste. I put it in a mug and warmed portions in the microwave as needed.

I read someplace that grape juice digests more easily & with less gas than apple--something about the glucose/fructose ratios. I mixed grape juice 50-50 with Knudsen's 100% Cranberry (health food stores may carry--or Publix). Balancing the too-sweet grape with the very sour cran. seemed just about right. Cranberry has the added benefit of reducing urinary tract infections.

p.s. I made the mistake of having corn-on-cob for my last supper before the clear liquid diet and laxatives.
Uh-oh... "Rat-a-tat-tat!"
Unread 03-07-2002, 01:53 PM
great ideas

Thanks for the great ideas. I'm thinking of laying in some veggies for juicing (and maybe a little fruit juice); I've already made chicken broth. I just don't want to be starving and drink nothing but water all day!!

Kcrohn, my surgery is at 10:00 a.m., Pacific time. Are you on west coast time? Regardless, I'll be thinking about you and holding your hand when you go in! Thanks for holding mine too.

Melissa
Unread 03-07-2002, 08:26 PM
clear liquid diet

First time on a liquid diet. I do not like it one bit. But I tell myself it will help with the gas. The first time I had ovarian cysts removed it was on an emergency basis and the gas pains were worst than the actual surgery. All day I have thought of nothing but a thick juicy t-bone steak and am not a red meat eater. I go to the store and smell the food. My family is eating and it drives me crazy. The television has nothing but food commercials. I never noticed it before. All to say that I am woman, I am strong. I drank my water, slurped my chicken broth and avoided the jello. Thanks for the advice on the carbonated drinks. I was drinking one while I was reading this post and immediately quit. Good advice and it makes sense. I do not know why I did not think of it before. Probably the hunger pains. lol
Unread 03-07-2002, 10:35 PM
No to Herbal teas

I was on a clear liquid diet the entire day before my surgery. These were on my allowable list: Chicken or beef broth, tea, coffee (black), ginger ale, apple juice, popsicles, jello.

I think the herbal tea would be a no-no because some herbs aren't allowed for a week to ten days before surgery. Check with your doctor on this to be sure.
Unread 03-08-2002, 06:32 AM
clear liquid diet

I'm sorry this did not come to mind yesterday, my brain is on delayed action sometimes. I have remembered something as I have been thinking about these posts overnight. My doctor's nurse gave me a specific list of what are considered "clear" liquids. Exactly the list Catherine has posted here.It was especially pointed out to me that veggie juices are NOT considered "clear" liquids.(none of them) PLEASE check it out with the dr. first. It is important because drinking the wrong thing would be like EATING and could cause them to postpone your surgery or could cause serious complications while in surgery. Be Careful.
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:14 AM
clear differences

"Clearly" there are some variations in Clear Liquid Diet lists being given out.

In addition to everything Catherine listed (broths, tea, black coffee, ginger ale, apple juice, popsicles & jello), my list also OK'd: Consomme, clear juices that you can see light through, soda pop (including cola), sugar, honey and clear hard candies.

Prohibited: Nectars & juice w/pulp, milk & cream, jello containing fruit, ice cream.

Best defense, double check with your doctor's office before you "eat" something that might give either of you indigestion later.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register