keep cervix option.... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

keep cervix option.... keep cervix option....

Unread 03-07-2002, 10:22 AM
keep cervix option....

something just occured to me.. when in my doc's office today signing papers for surgery etc... I told him I wanted to keep my cervix.. he seemed surprised.... i thought i read that it was better to do so if there were no problems... something about better for later in life when there is possibility of bladder falling or something... so now I am wondering.. how many of you all have kept your cervix when it was an option.. I am having both ovaries removed just because I am 45 and overweight and don't want to deal with the possibility of ovarian cancer later on in life...
thanks for any info...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 11:09 AM
keep cervix option....

Whether or not to keep your cervix is a difficult question to answer, each of us has to make a decision that's best for ourselves, but I can give you some things to think about. Discuss these things with your doctor, and between the two of you, you can make the best decision for YOU.

1. Cancer. Is there any history of cancer in your family? Removing the cervix drastically lowers your chances of cervical cancer (still a remote possibility due to the chance of some cells being left behind)

2. Bleeding. Some women who keep their cervix end up having "mini-periods" monthly (only if they also have at least one ovary). These seem to be rare, and are very light, but are a possibility.

3. Sex. There are many conflicting opinions on whether the cervix contributes to sexual pleasure. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. I can say in MY case, at least, sex is wonderful after the surgery (I had my cervix removed). My doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference, and in my case at least, she was right - neither myself nor my husband can tell any difference.

Keep reading, talk to your doctor, and good luck with your decision!
Unread 03-07-2002, 11:58 AM
keep cervix option....

I agree with chemyn and I also had my cervix removed. But it was because of the recurring severe dysplasia. Personally, I feel that if something is healthy, leave it there. I also kept my ovaries since they were healthy and there's no family history of ovarian cancer. I do have a family history of breast cancer. But I don't get them removed "just in case". However, I did start early with regular mamograms.

Another thought...are you having your hyst vaginally or abdominally? If it's vaginal, the cervix is removed. If there's an option about which route to take, you may want to consider the abdominal incision that comes along with keeping the cervix.

This is a personal decision that you will have to make along with your dr's advice. You are wise in gaining your knowledge and learning what your options are so that you can make a more educated decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 12:03 PM
keep cervix option....

I too think it's a personal decision, just like keeping the ovaries was.

I had my cervix taken out. I could have left it...but, I didn't want to have to worry about cervical cancer.

I had a TAH and was surprised when the gyn surgeon told me that the uterus and cervix are usually removed. Hubby and I never knew that! As far as I knew, it was just the uterus and maybe ovaries depending on how they looked.

I don't regret it for one minute as I know that cervical cancer can always be a threat, no, there is none in my family, but my personal relief is worth it to me.

We are military and I trust the doctors that I saw, asked tons of questions, researched after I found out I needed a hysterectomy and found this site. What a Godsend this site is!

Good luck in your decison!

Sara
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:16 PM
keep cervix option....

The cervix is not a separate organ. It is basically just the opening to the uterus. That is it's function, the opening to the uterus. Without the uterus it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button.
Unread 03-08-2002, 07:16 AM
thank you all

Thank you all for your replies. I have talked it over with my gyn, I called him first thing this morning and told him I wanted to have it removed also. Of course right after I hung up I thought of about 5 more questions for him... I will call him again next week... Lordie I hope he doesn't think I am a pain.. I kinda feel like a first time mom again with my first pregnancy... so many questions.....
sigh.. but at least I am feeling alot more at ease about this whole thing.. well at least this week (big grin)
have a great day,
Kara
Unread 03-08-2002, 09:03 AM
keep cervix option....

Hi~
I had originally wanted to keep my cervix.....I'd heard all the same things that you did about the bladder. My obgyn convinced to have it removed. The cervix is the bottom part of the uterus and if left behind it can bleed and spot every month. So bye-bye it will go for me!

Best of luck with your decision!!

((HUGS))
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:54 AM
kept cervix (didn't have a choice)

Karah

Prior to my TAH/BSO 2-11-02 I told my doctor to take everything I would never need again. Well once he was in there he found that my cervix was adhesed to my bladder and he could not remove it without doing severe damage to my bladder. So I still have my cervix only - I have seen many different things about keeping the cervix or not -- I have had no bad paps in the past but will have to continue to get them yearly. I have had NO discharge at all post op and when I asked my doctor about it he said that since I still had my cervix I would not experience the post op discharge -- so all in all I am happy that he had to leave it. This is a difficult decision for women to make - keep checking out the message boards, join us in live chat and also talk to your doctor and you can determine which is best for you.

Good luck -- you are in my prayers!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register