New here..just got surgery date | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here..just got surgery date New here..just got surgery date

Unread 03-07-2002, 03:56 PM
New here..just got surgery date

Hi!

I just found this website last week thanks to someone whom I know from another site. Wonderful information here. I think I sat and read for about 3 1/2 hours straight!

I just went today to talk to my Dr about surgery. I was referred to this Dr by my regular OB who told me he doesn't do LAVH. Which is what I think I wanted. Now after speaking with the new Dr, he doesn't think that is a good option for me either.

A bit of history....age 37, my family is complete, stage3/4 endo, been on bcps for 10 months straight to surpress AF and it doesn't work at all so I bleed all the time, for weeks at a time. The pain is unbelievable, totally controlling my life and I am sick of it.

So I have pretty much told the DRs I want this surgery. Can anyone share info or their story regarding endo and keeping or getting rid of their ovaries? Each Dr tells me a different story.

I'd really like to find anyone who may be having surgery in mid to late April. Thanks! KimAZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 04:42 PM

Hi!

Glad you found the site, isn't it great?

My story is in my signature, I didn't have endo, but I did have the other symptoms you have had...for years!

There are tons of doctors out there, ask friends for referrals. I went nearly an hour away to get to a good doctor!

Good luck!

Sara
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:23 PM

Hi Kim ,

I didn't have the same problems as you (had my hyst for prolapses) but I did want to welcome you to Hystersisters and say that I'm glad that you found us.

If your ovaries are healthy, you may want to keep them, as they do continue to produce hormones which should reduce the need for hormone replacement therapy after surgery.

Please be sure to let us know what you decide.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 06:44 PM

Hey Kim! Glad to see you here! You already know my story.....just wanted to say hi! I know that between you and your doctors you will find the right surgery for your situation.

Hang in there.... Hugs and prayers,

Love,
Shelli
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:05 PM
Pre op

Well lady I do not have any answers, just questions. I just got my date. April 3. I go for my pre op on March 26 and don't even know what to ask my doctor. I am scared and don't mind admitting it. My boss told me about this web today and I love it so far but haven't been able to figure out how to post my request for help. Sisters if you can read this HELP!!! What do I need to ask and how do I calm down. I am so ready for this surgery it seems I would be calm already but NOT! I am 52 (in July) and my family is sick of me being sick. I am sooooo emotional I cry at the drop of a hat and can't seem to turn it off. But then there is this scared thing again. I just need your support. Please reply quick as I am hanging on by a thread........... Kaye
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:19 PM

Hi Kaye

I'm so glad your boss told you about Hystersisters.

If you have not already found it by the time you get this reply, the main screen has lots of information that I think will be very helpful to you.

Go up to the top of this page, and click onto the picture of the 3 princesses at the top left. That takes you to the main screen. Then scroll down toward the bottom of that screen and you will see drop down menus for Ladies-in-Waiting (pre-op) and Punctured Princesses (post-op).

There is a pre-op list of questions that you can print out and take with you, and lots of other information. And if you want to post a new question, go to the button at the right of this screen and press "Post new Topic".

Good luck - please be sure to post back with your questions and concerns. We'll be right here to help in any way that we can.

's

Karen
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:28 PM
LAVH WITH BILATERAL-SALPINGO OOPHERECTOMY( REMOVAL OF RIGHT OVARY)

HI!

I AM ALSO NEW TO THE SITE AND I THINK IT IS VERY INFORMATIVE. I ALSO, FOUND THE SITE FROM ANOTHER SITE.

TO START THINGS OFF, I WENT IN FOR A REGULAR CHECK UP IN EARLY DECEMBER. MY DR. TOLD ME THINGS LOOKED FINE BUT I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE PAP RESULTS. ABOUT A WEEK OR TWO LATER I RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM THE DR. TELLING ME THAT MY PAP WAS ABNORMAL AND NEEDED A BIOPSY. FOUR WEEKS LATER I WENT IN FOR A LEEP PROCEDURE AND WAITED THE RESULTS OF THAT. HE LATER TOLD ME THAT THE CELLS HE REMOVED WERE CANCEROUS, BUT HE THOUGHT HE HAD GOTTEN IT ALL AND ALL I WOULD NEED TO DO IS HAVE PAP TESTS DONE EVERY THREE MONTHS FOR A WHILE OR I HAD THE OPTION OF HAVING A HYSTERECTOMY. I CHOSE THE HYSTERECTOMY BECAUSE I HAVE A FAIMLY HISTORY OF CERVICAL CANCER. I HAD AN LAVH WITH THE REMOVAL OF THE RIGHT OVARY ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO. I ONLY STAYED IN THE HOSPITAL TWO DAYS. I WENT IN TODAY TO GET THE PATHOLOGY RESULTS WHERE HE SENT EVERYTHING OFF. THE DR. TOLD ME THAT HE WAS GLAD THAT I DECIDED TO HAVE THE LAVH BECAUSE THE RESULTS STATED THAT THERE WERE CANCER CELLS INSIDE THE CERVIX. HE ALSO TOLD ME THAT HE HAD CAUGHT IT EARLY ENOUGH AND THAT I WOULD NOT HAVE TO HAVE TREATMENT. HE SAID I WAS 99% CURED AND THAT THERE IS A 1% CHANCE THAT THE CANCER COULD COME BACK. HE LEFT ONE OVARY BECAUSE HE SAID I WAS TOO YOUNG(33) AND NEEDED THE HORMONES.

BACK TO THE SURGERY, I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE IT ANY OTHER WAY. I HAVE THREE INCISIONS. ONE IN THE BELLY BUTTON YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE AND THE OTHERS TWO ARE IN THE BIKINI AREA. THEY ARE ALL MAYBE AN INCH LONG. I HAVE DONE VERY WELL. THE FIRST WEEK WAS ROUGH, I REALLY DID'NT HAVE AN APPETITE OR ANY ENERGY. THIS WEEK HAS BEEN ALOT BETTER , I HAVE FELT ALOT BETTER AND CAN TELL I AM GETTING MY ENERGY BACK. MY DR. TOLD ME NOT TO OVER DO IT THOUGH! HE SAID IT DEFINITELY TAKES THE FULL SIX WEEKS TO FULLY RECOVER EVENTOUGH YOU FEEL GOOD!

I HOPED THIS HAS HELPED SOME. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY! I HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL FOR YOU. SORRY SO LONG WINDED!

SALOO7
Unread 03-08-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks, I feel better already!

I read a couple of new things tonight and I do feel better just because you ladies took the time to write. It is weird but for some reason I feel like I know yall. (Can you tell I am from Texas?) Anyway, today was a pretty good day. I am just tired all the time. Sleep and eat. I have gained alot of weight too. Does anyone lose weight after surgery? I feel so bloated and grimey Is that normal? My sister found out today that she is having bladder surgery on the 19th of March. My surgery is 4-3 so I guess we will be recooping together. I got to print out some of the pre-op questions, thanks to one of your advice...I still can't quiet manuever through this system but I will keep trying. I pray for all of you each day. Until tomorrow...Kaye
Unread 03-09-2002, 06:03 AM
HI KIM

HI KIM,
YEP, I TOO AM AN APRIL CHILD OF SURGERY.
4-9-02 IS MY DATE, TAH-BSO
HAVE BEEN PUT ON HOLD FOR THIS SINCE NOV LAST YEAR SO NEEDLESS TO SAY....I AM READY AND WOULD GO TOMORROW IF I COULD, SOOOO TIRED OF HURTING AND HAVING TO RELY ON PAIN MEDS JUST TO FUNCTION.

WE WILL BE NEW WOMEN WITH NO MORE PAIN AND NO MORE PERIODS YEA.

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR DATE IS.

BLESSING,
TONI
(TRIXIE)
Unread 03-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Welcome Kim

Welcome to Hystersisters Kim..I was sent this site the day I found out I was to have a TVH..and it has helped me and my hubby too. He went to the family ? site and read every single thing and it has helped him to understand..I kept my ovaries. I am 41, but my dr..a woman..too said that I was too young to lose them and if they are healthy she was going to leave them in..Thank goodness they were healthy..I did have some ahesions on the right one and she was able to cut that away..I have not had many problems with my surgery..Felt great..Get tired but even that at almost three weeks post op is going away..My family did not let me do a thing around here tho.Hubby waited on me..And still is big time pampering me, altho now I am doing things for myself becuz I want to do ti and NEED to do it..But I spent two weeks doing nothing but taking care of ME..And I think that is how I got my energy stored up..I was terrified before surgery..but now I wonder why I was so afraid..Thank goodness for this site..Now my only fear is having sex again..that scares me but I guess that until I get to try it I won't know ..I think fear of the unknown is worse than anything Good luck and so glad that you found us

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register