nervous but very ready | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nervous but very ready nervous but very ready

Unread 03-07-2002, 04:26 PM
nervous but very ready

Hi Ladies,
I am realizing how very nervous I am about my surgery. It is scheduled for March 12th, at 7:30 am. I am definetly ready but still nervous. I have never had major surgery before.

My pre-op appt was on March 5th, and it went well. My Dr. answered all of my ?'s, and was very pleased that I had them written down. Got alot of them from this site, thanks sisters. I will tentatively have a subtotal-hyster(ovaries stay if they are looking fine),cervix stay. I am not so much worried about the procedure as I am about the anethesia. I did not meet with the anethesiologist on the 5th. He is the first person I meet with on the 12th. My father always had a very difficult time waking up after he was "under" with anethesia. I will need to discuss other options with him/her. My Dr said he would send note to him/her about my concern. I'm sure I will be find with general anethesia, but I think my nervousness at times takes over. My dr said he would be worried if I was not a little nervous

I know, I know, I know it's the waiting that's the hardest part.
Thank you to those who have given such heart-felt support. And best wishes to all LIW's and Princesses.

Bridgette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 04:36 PM
nervous but very ready

My date is the same as yours.I just met with my Doctor today and the anethesia was a concern for me as well.I think I am going to have a epidural. My Doctor thought it was a good idea.Look into that option.Good luck.
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:36 PM
nervous but very ready

Hi,

I too was concerned about general. I get really sick from it. I had a piggy back of anti-nausea medicine and it worked great! I talked to my "A" guy the night before for about 20 minutes. It was wonderful and helped me sleep better.

You know what I'm going to say: The waiting is the worst part!

Good luck, I will be saying a prayer for you that day...

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 05:17 PM
nervous but very ready

Hi Bridgett! Its very natural to be a nervous about surgery. I had my tonsils out when I was 12 and that was it! When I decided to go ahead with a hysterectomy, my doc was the first one to suggest an epidural. Well, that went over like a lead balloon with me at first. I wanted no part of that 17 years ago when I had my daughter so why would I want to do it now?? After he explained everything to me and I actually talked to the anes. nurse at my pre-op appt, I decided to do it and I am very glad that I did. I was awake in the OR and everyone was really nice and wanted to make sure I was comfortable. I asked them to put me in la la land which they did. If I had wanted to, I could have stayed awake during the whole thing.... (I'm not quiet that brave). I had no nausea at all, no gas and no headache. It was great. If I ever have to have surgery of any kind again, I want to do it the same way. Some docs dont seem to be too keen on it but mine said it was the way to go. Anyway, its a suggestion and maybe you can discuss it with your doc and see what they think. Best of luck to you on the 12th!
MB
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:46 PM
anesthesia

I too have the same date and time as you. I haven't met with my A guy but have talked with the CRNA (nurseA) who is a friend. I am going to have a spinal. Spinals have been improved, no headache, no need to lie flat and no fuzzy head after. Also they can convert it to a PCA pain med pump for after. You will also receive other medications in the IV that will relax you and one to make you forget. However, you are still aware and able to converse. You may want to discuss this with your A guy. I will think of you on Tuesday. Lets swap stories after!!! Good luck
Unread 03-07-2002, 05:49 PM
nervous but very ready

Thanks Ladies,

Those are some of the ideas/options I plan to discuss with the "A" dr.

Thanks for the prayers and wishes,
Bridgette
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:40 PM
nervous but very ready

Hello, This is my first time to post. I am scheduled for 3/12 also, have to be at the hospital at 5:30am. I don't have my pre-op until 3/11, so I'm not sure if I'm to be a vaginal or abdominal. I know I need an A&P repair and bladder tack. The epidual or spinal sounds good to me, I really don't look forward to having the other anesthesia. I hope this won't all be settled when I go for the preop since it's the day before. I've been reading this site off and on for two weeks, it's great, I've gotton lots of good info. I haven't gotton done all that I planned to do though but that is the story of my life anyway. Another thing that worries me, being out of comission. I hope it won't be for long. That and having to lie on my back. If I have an abdominal, is it too uncomfortable to turn from side to side? I can't lie on my back for maybe 5-10 minutes without it hurting. Silly worry but a real one none-the-less. Best wishes to you all and good luck. Mary
Unread 03-08-2002, 04:00 AM
nervous but very ready

HI
I too am a surgery sister for March 12th. I am going to have the spinal / epidural. My doc and anesthesialogist were very excited I wanted to have this method. They told me no foggy head, not as many side affects, etc. I was a bit nervous deciding what method as my father had a spinal in the 1970's and kept telling me not to do this method as he a bad experience. But heck, that was 30 years ago and his situation was an emergency surgery situation.
I have been put 'under" general, but only for short duration procedures, D/C's..and really had no side effects with this as well. So I weighed both types and made my decision. I don't want to be wide awake either so I am opting for a twilight sleep. the epidural will stay in for 24 hours and will be my primary pain relief for the first day.
Good luck to all you!!
Unread 03-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Mavie

Your situation sounds like mine, I didn't even know I had a problem until a few weeks ago and now major surgery! YIKES!
I have a huge fibroid, should have known when all of those sit ups weren't working! ***** to lose this flat belly with surgery but I think I am finally resolved to get it over with! I will think of you on Tuesday, sounds like a popular day!! Best wishes, keep me posted how you feel.
Unread 03-08-2002, 02:34 PM
oops sorry

So sorry I got the stars! I have been having grouchy flashes all day, pre op gitters I think. Is there a list of bad words? What I meant to say is a swelly belly really stinks!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register