New to Website and first post | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Website and first post New to Website and first post

Unread 03-07-2002, 07:00 PM
New to Website and first post

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. My name is Karen and I just signed the consent and surgery papers today to have a total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH). I elected to wait till after September 1st for my surgery because it would be easier for me to get the time off work in the fall, plus I don't want to be completely laid up for the summer. I am having my surgery because of severe pain due to adenomyosis.
I have only one lingering question and that is to decide whether or not I should keep my cervix. I have discussed this with my doctor/surgeon and although the papers are signed for TAH, he said I can still change my mind and opt to keep my cervix. I really don't know if there is that big of a benefit in keeping it??? My only concern with it is sexual satisfaction. Does it REALLY increase sexual pleasure?? At this point, unless I come across a strong arguement to keep it, I think I will opt to have it taken out.
I am open to listening to any advice anyone here can offer.

I am really grateful for finding this website. I find it full of information and helpful hints.
Thank-you Hyster Sisters.

Karen Gerber
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 08:22 PM
My Cervix just got in the way

I originally just assumed I'd have the cervix removed with everything else. Then I started reading that you can keep it - Why, I wondered.

Talked to my hubby. He said he had already felt it during sex and it kinda got in the way. That's when I realized that in some positions when I was having discomfort/pain, it was that darn cervix!

Talked to other women and found the same results.

So then at my pre-op appointment, I talked to my doctor. She said that for some reason, European women keep theirs, but she could never figure out why. We talked about discomfort, etc. And that the vagina is only 4 inches long at rest. Well, duh, of course the cervix would be in the way.

I'm only 2 weeks post, so I have not yet had sans-cervical sex yet. But I just wanted to share what I've heard, read and learned.

Just my educated opinion...
Unread 03-08-2002, 06:51 AM

Welcome to the best place around for info, support and hugs! I'm glad you found us!

This is a very popular question. We've had many threads discussing it...you might want to run a search using our search engine (little purple button at the top of each page) and see what's been talked about!

I had TAH/BSO one year ago this week, and my cervix went. I can tell you that the first few experiences with sex were slightly different, probably because a) I was nervous! b) I was really nervous and c) everything was still a bit sore...11 weeks post.

Things are fine now, with no difference in lubrication, orgasm, or anything. Every woman has a different experience of course, and sex is a very subjective issue...

Keep reading, post all your questions, and by Sept. you will be an expert!!!!

Welcome!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 08:46 AM

Welcome to our boards!

I am scheduled for a supracervical LAVH on 3/27/02. My physician suggested I keep the cervix for several reasons. I have always had class one paps. There is some belief that women who keep there cervix are more satisifed with their sex life. It provides pelvic support.

Also by keeping the cervix everything can be removed through the scope, which means no big incision to heal from. After reading many posts and doing research I feel that this is best for me since I want a quick recovery. Biggest negative is you still have to have annual pap smears (yuk). They do cauterize the area of the cervix where dysplasia tends to rear its ugly head just in case!

You will find many different opinions on this issue, it is such an individual decision. My best advice is read everything you can and then make the choice you are most comfortable with!

Wishing you all the best!
Unread 03-08-2002, 09:32 AM

Hi Dianna,

In my case the cervix will be going, that is due to the fact that my mother had cervical cancer and the Dr doesn't want to take any chances. Each person and case is different
Unread 03-08-2002, 01:50 PM

Whether or not to keep your cervix is a difficult question to answer, each of us has to make a decision that's best for ourselves, but I can give you some things to think about. Discuss these things with your doctor, and between the two of you, you can make the best decision for YOU.

1. Cancer. Is there any history of cancer in your family? Removing the cervix drastically lowers your chances of cervical cancer (still a remote possibility due to the chance of some cells being left behind)

2. Bleeding. Some women who keep their cervix end up having "mini-periods" monthly (only if they also have at least one ovary). These seem to be rare, and are very light, but are a possibility.

3. Sex. There are many conflicting opinions on whether the cervix contributes to sexual pleasure. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. I can say in MY case, at least, sex is wonderful after the surgery (I had my cervix removed). My doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference, and in my case at least, she was right - neither myself nor my husband can tell any difference.

Keep reading, talk to your doctor, and good luck with your decision!
Unread 03-08-2002, 02:17 PM

Hi,

I had my cervix removed and still have to have annual exams done. Will I ever be free of the doc?

It's a hard choice to make if there is no cancer...I have always had good pap smears, never anything showing up. Probably because everything was going on in my uterus!

I asked my surgeons what they thought and it's the most common way for a hyster, I didn't ever know that until I was in that appt. It never crossed my mind.

If I didn't have so much scar tissue, adhesions, I'm sure I would have had a lap asst. hyster. Oh well, I'm healing pretty good for 9 days out.

Sara
Unread 03-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Welcome

Welcome to hystersisters Karen

As all the other ladies have stated this is a commonly asked concern to have the cervix removed or not.

Gather all and any information you can on the matter and make a list of questions for your Dr so that you can make an educated decision. One you will also have peace with.

As for my hyster. I had no choice to keep or not to keep my cervix. I had high level dysplasia which can turn into cancer. I will say this. It has been 11 weeks today sinse my hyster. I feel no different with out it. My dbf can not tell a difference as well. Sex is pretty much the same for me. It was great before and still is. The big "O's" are no different either. The main reason i think that sex may be a little bit better is due to lack of pain. Orgasms caused cramping for me prior to my hyster.

This decision and just the hyster itself is very personal. I am glad we have this site to share or thoughts, questions and concerns. When it comes right down to it, the choices are yours.

Take care and keep the post coming. Let us know how your doing.

You might like to check out the HS chatroom. It's an awesome place to share stories, a great line of support and lots of fun to

Michele
Unread 03-08-2002, 09:41 PM

One point my doc made is that the cervix is just the bottom of the uterus, not a different organ. There's no dotted line separating uterus from cervix.

I sorta like the idea of keeping everything I can, but I'm opting to have mine out because a) I don't want mini-periods (not a given but a possibility), and b) I'm having the hyst because of menstrual cramps -- which are uterine cramps -- and since the cervix is part of the uterus, who knows but that it's part of cramps too?

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register