HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

vaginal atrophy in 70 year old, post total hysterectomy woman vaginal atrophy in 70 year old, post total hysterectomy woman

Unread 08-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Unhappy - vaginal atrophy in 70 year old, post total hysterectomy woman vaginal atrophy in 70 year old, post total hysterectomy woman

I am 21 years post menopausal, had a da vinci total hysterectomy 5 months ago and now have serious vaginal atrophy. Was on the HRT for years pre surgery, now on Premarin cream also. Has anyone else had this issue?
Unread 08-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Re: vaginal atrophy in 70 year old, post total hysterectomy woman

Yes, It started with 2 UTI's 2 yrs ago when I turned 50 1 month prior to my hysterectomy...I went on Premarin cream about 2 months after hyster. when diagnosed with mild Vaginal Atrophy and was on it for about a month and went off and started Climara .025 It took about 2 months to see any improvement. I was on Climara for about a yr and stopped due to I was feeling pretty good. Then about a yr and half later I started having urinary freq and dryness again, so 2 wks ago I started Premarin cream again and also back on Climara again low dose for a month now. I'm finally starting show improvement, it takes about 2 mo. The Premarin does help, I just finished the 14 day dose, now it's just 2 days a wk...I know for me the Premarin tends to burn a little the longer I use it, especially when taking it everyday for the 1st 14 days...Menopause sucks...Hope you feel better.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks. I have been on the Premarin for 4 weeks - will hold on for 4 more and hope for the best. I am too old for this stuff!
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Hello,

My uro/gyn put me on Vagifem after he did multiple prolapse repairs, 8 years ago (I had a TAH/BSO done 3 years prior). I had to use the Vagifem every night for 2 weeks and then twice a week. He said it is very important to keep the vaginal tissues "nice and plump" to avoid dryness which can lead to UTI's and intimacy difficulties. At 65 years old, I'm still using the Vagifem and intend to use it until death! BTW, I tried the Premarin cream but it caused a burning sensation for me too ~~

Diana
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingandmoon View Post
Hello,

My uro/gyn put me on Vagifem after he did multiple prolapse repairs, 8 years ago (I had a TAH/BSO done 3 years prior). I had to use the Vagifem every night for 2 weeks and then twice a week. He said it is very important to keep the vaginal tissues "nice and plump" to avoid dryness which can lead to UTI's and intimacy difficulties. At 65 years old, I'm still using the Vagifem and intend to use it until death! BTW, I tried the Premarin cream but it caused a burning sensation for me too ~~

Diana
Huntingandmoon, how many mg. of Vagifem are you taking? My Urogyno gave me pres. 10mg Vagifem a week ago and told me to try it, she said a lot of women are real happy with it. I didn't start it because I hated to start over, I was already on Premarin. I'm not sure if it is strong enough for my symptoms...burning, dryness, urinary freq.
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Idvaughan, I am so glad you posted. When ovaries are removed at the age of 70 there is a small drop in estrogens compared to before the surgery, but a rather large drop in androgens (testosterone, DHEA). If the Premarin doesn't do the trick for you, I would consider asking for a vaginal androgen. Just out of curiosity, do you have any other symptoms? Any increase in joint pain...any decrease in muscle mass...any change in fat distribution...any weakness? Anything else at all?
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:46 PM

Hi Sunny491,

The Vagifem prescribed dosage was 25mg when I started on it but the dose was reduced to 10mg because a lot of women reported (to the FDA) painful/tenderness of the breasts. I continue to have symptom relief even with the lower dose of Vagifem. I would give the Vagifem a try ~

Diana

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway