New To Site, General Greeting | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New To Site, General Greeting New To Site, General Greeting

Unread 03-07-2002, 07:18 PM
New To Site, General Greeting

Hello from Tennessee,
I am a 32 year old, Wife, and Mother of 1 who has a Laproscopic Hysterectomy scheduled for 3-12-2002. I have stumbled across this sight and have found it a sudden source of strength. I have many concerns, am I making the right decision, whether or not to keep my ovaries,HRT as opposed to natural hormones and what to expect after the surgery during my recovery. I welcome any and all replies. It is wonderful to find woman who are going through or have been through this.

Looking forward to a reply,

Moe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 07:48 PM
((((((((((Moe )))))))))))))

Welcome to Hystersisters Moe!!! & big

I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming surgery. You have come to the best place for support and information..

As far as keeping your ovaries well... No one can really make that choice for you and i would not want to see anyone sway either way on it.

All i can do is offer my own experience making this same choice. I am 35 yo and had two perfectly healthy ovaries. One had a huge cyst on it but barly attached. I twas remived 11 days prior to my hyster and the ovary suffered no damage.

I was asked by my ob/gyn about keeping them or not. He plainly stated to me "If they are healthy i recommend saving them" I listened to him intently and then came home from his office with tons more questions. One week before my hyster, I found this web site. I read and read about saving the ovaries. I read tons of web sites and read all kinda of info.

Here is what I came up with for myself. Healthy and not preimenopausel. No risks involved keeping them. There is a 50% chance they can shut down with in 5 years. But there is that 50% chance they will go out gracefully with normal age menopause. The natural hormones our body produces have health benifits to keeping them. This made my choice for me.

This is such a personal decision. Only you and your Dr can come up with what is best for yourself. Even your Dr is a miner roll in this as long as its not a health risk to keep them. Its really up to you. Please gather all the information you can about the pro's and con's on keeping your ovaries or not. Make a Q? list for your Dr. Together I hope you can make a decision that gives you peace of mind.

Take care and please keep on posting anything thats on your mind.

Maybe you would like to join the ladies in the HS chat room. There is an awesome line of support there. Women helping women . It can put a smile or two on your face as well.

Here is a
to Welcome you to Hystersisters
Unread 03-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Ovaries - what to do!

I, being 48 now (47 at the time of hyster), decided to get rid of everything. One of my major problems was the period migraine which was caused by the cycles of the OVARIES. Those darn things caused me lots of problems. So my DR and I thought it best to remove ALL problems.

Now, I don't have to worry about ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, cervical cancer.

But because you're much younger, if your cycle (ovaries) is not causing problems, better check out all options before making a decision.

Good luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 08:19 PM

s & welcome to Hystersisters!!!

I had a LAVH too and kept my ovaries. They were healty and I'm glad to not have to take hrt the rest of my life. But that is a personal decision between you and your dr & it looks like you've already just been given some good advice to think about.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 03-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Thank-you

Thank you so much for you reply! I had a very busy day and am late in reading my new threads. I am trying to learn my way around the sight. I would love to eventually join the chat room, but still trying to figure out how!! LOL!! Once again a big thank-you, and hope to talk soon.

Moe
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Another Tennessee gal!

Hi there Moe!

Glad you found us! you're in the right place. I am 40 and 13 weeks post op. I did keep my ovaries. Doc said they were healthy, but I'm still having PMS and ovarian pain. Thank goodness the bleeding is done and over! That was a nightmare!
I am grateful though that I am not on hormones. I am praying it all goes away soon. If not, then guess I'll be going back to see the doc. With your age, if you aren't having problems with your ovaries, I'd keep them. I had problems with mine pre hyst but I suppose the doc thought it would all go away. So far not! It's a personal decision that most of us have or had to make. Just listen to you heart! (and your gut feelings!)

This is the best site around. It has been so supportive! The chat is great! The forums are wonderful. You can find just about anything on them! Keep us posted on what's happening to you!

I'm in Gallatin, TN. About 30 miles northwest of Nashville. Where are you from?

Blessings and s
Janie
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Ovaries

Hi Moe,
I had a TAH/BSO 5 weeks ago. I'm the 35 year old Mom of 1 DD. My choice - and agreement with my doc - was to keep one or both of my ovaries if they were ok and no endo. Unfortunately, I had the beginnings of endo in addition to fibroids, plus several cysts (which the sonogram did not pick up). He ended up removing both ovaries, and started me on HRT immediately. It's a tough and very personal decision, especially for women my age and younger (like you). Fortunately, post op - in spite of how adamant I was to keep them (ask my MD!!!!) - I don't miss my ovaries at all, emotionally or physically.

Best wishes to you - Janet
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:41 AM
Welcome to a wonderful place

Moe

You have found the right place -- this site is full of information and wonderful people to support you.

I had a TAH/BSO 2-11-02 and I feel great -- the worst part for me was the first two days -- after that I was sore but felt much better then pre. I am now almost 4 weeks and feel wonderful! I have been up and about for the past 2 weeks -- even been to the mall a few times this week. I am on HRT and it works great for me (Premarin 1.25mg daily pill).

I would like to invite you to come join us in live chat -- it is an awesome place full of wonderful ladies who will offer you a tremendous amout of support.

Good luck and you will be in my prayers. Let us know when you get home how you are.
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Welcome

Glad you found this site, isn't it great!

I have found so much information and support here among the many sisters. The forums have much to offer, hope you check out the other many forums sites.

You should come and visit the chat room. The support I have gotten from the many sisters there is great.

As for ovaries, I am 50 and had been having trouble with them for years. So , when I had my LAVH this month I opted to have them removed. Sofar, I do not regret this decision.

Morgan
Unread 03-09-2002, 12:56 PM

Welcome!

I never really decided about what to do with my ovaries until the day before surgery, at the pre-op appt. I decided to let the surgeons look at them and if they are healthy, to leave them in. My age really factored into that. If I was 10-15 years older, I would have to weigh the pros and cons for a while.

It's not an easy decision but one you will decide through much talking and thinking. What does your hubby think? I bounced off all of my ideas and plans off of him. Sometimes they really do know a different angle.

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register