Yikes, Surgery is just 5 days away and I'm stressed to the max! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yikes, Surgery is just 5 days away and I'm stressed to the max! Yikes, Surgery is just 5 days away and I'm stressed to the max!

Unread 03-07-2002, 07:58 PM
Yikes, Surgery is just 5 days away and I'm stressed to the max!

Just want to vent......I don't think I can take anymore stress. My TAH is scheduled for the 12th. On the 3rd our family pet was in a serious accident and is having a very expensive surgery today (not my choice but she was a member of the family before I was), my step daughter was admitted into a behavioral health unit on the 4th and my temp replacement at work isn't ready to take over with only 2 working days left....

I know I just have to remove myself from all these problems but it's easier said then done. I'm very concerned about recovery at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2002, 08:08 PM

s Dolly!

You do have a lot of stress to vent about! It's ok to do it here with all this happening just before becoming a . We are here for you.

But right now, take care of yourself first. I'm sorry to hear about the family pet, but since you sound against the surgery anyway, let the other family members be responsible for it. As for the step-dd, it sounds like she's in the best place for her right now, so leave her care up to her drs there. I don't know if it's your responsibility for finding replacement at work, but if you've given your notice for surgery & recovery time, then I think your employer should be the one to worry about that one.

I don't mean to sound cold-hearted about it, but let the others take care of their own problems for now while you take care of yourself. It will be more of a benefit to them to have you feeling better later on. Please let us know how everything works out.
Unread 03-08-2002, 03:53 AM

Hi Dollie-O
We are surgery sisters! My TAH is on the 12th as well. I too am stressed out but I keep taking deep breaths and trying to get good nite sleeps. Today is my last day of work and all I can say is THANK GOD!
Try and focus just on yourself and staying as relaxed as possible..I know it is hard with so much going on around you.
Hang in there and know you are not alone heading into this surgery.
I'll be thinking of you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 05:18 AM

I so understand thinking you are responsible to keep everything together. I was the same way and I finally just had to give up what wasn't mine to worry about. The week before my surgery our son was sent to a hold over home by the courts (that's another story entirely!) and I was not pleased with the training of a new employee at work, worried about how she would do on her own for such a long time. I just had to let it all go! I knew our son was in the best place for him right now, and I knew things would get behind at work and there was nothing I could do about it. So I just let others worry about it! I had to take of me.....which was a new discipline itself, I have always put myself last on the list! Move yourself to "top priority" and somehow the other stuff will take care of itself!

Unread 03-08-2002, 09:05 AM

I am so sorry.....you have a good reason to stressed! My goodness! Hang in there.....things will work out and everything will be fine. Best wishes!
Unread 03-08-2002, 04:33 PM

Boy, do I hear you. My surger is April 1. About a month ago our family pet, Dixie, a shep mix, was diagnosed with lymphoma and is now undergoing some chemo (trips to the vet 40 miles from home, stress, etc.). But at least I will have the recoup time to spend with her and her sweet face before the inevitable.

I am getting emotional, too, about work. What if they don't let me come back - I know they can't, legally, but it happend to me once before after my myomectomy in 1994 and unless you want to fight it and go back to work for the jerks that get rid of you, you really have no choice!

And now I am really not confident that my DH will be capable of what he needs to do - I mean, there are so many things now he could help with and, as much as I love him after 21 years, it gets to me when I come home from work after a 2-hour-commute-in-the-rain and he hasn't even fixed the coffee maker for the next day but sits at the table playing solitaire on his palm pilot dealie.

Long, deeep breaths, and a good work out at the gym for me tonite!
Unread 03-08-2002, 04:51 PM

My surgery is on the 12th to and I admit I an nervous. Friday is gone and all that is left is sat. sun. mon. than off to the hospital. I have to be there at 8:30 at outpatient and than surgery is at 11:00 and have no idea how long it takes to remove everything. I have been cleaning and getting groceries and today I got some stool softeners just in case I need them and those things are not cheep. I jsut can't think of what I have missed. I wish we had a list of to -do's...wish you the best on the 12th..
Unread 03-08-2002, 05:35 PM

(((Dollie o)))

I hope your family pet came through her surgery OK today, and that you took the very good advice that PDawn gave, which is to take care of yourself, and everything else will work itself out. 's.

(((Shelli)))

I just wanted to let you know that I will be thinking about you tomorrow and praying that all goes well with your surgery. Be sure to let us know how you are doing after you've been home a couple of days. 's

(((CarolineF)))

I'll bet your DH will surprise you and be very helpful when you need him. You might want to print out the list of restrictions and go over them with him so he'll know what you can and can;t do during your recovery time. 's

(((luckycat)))

If you haven't already found them, on the main page of this site (click onto the 3 Princesses at the top left of the page) there are drop down menus toward the bottom of the page with pre-op and post-op hints. 's

Karen
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:07 PM

4 days left now....thanks for all your well wishes.

Precious, the family dog, came through surgery okay but will need 24 hr a day care for 8 weeks. I'm glad that she's going to be okay but have put my foot down regarding her care. I can help till Monday evening then I can't. I believe everyone understands and know that I'm going to have to be firm.

I don't believe dh thinks this surgery is any big deal. He doesn't understand why I have to take 6 weeks off work.

Yesterday was pre-op and they did a CMG test, confirming that I need the burch procedure too. Doc told me that I'll be coming home with a catheter and to expect to have it for anywhere to a week and up to a month after surgery.

14 year old step daughter is still in the behavoral health unit and is expected to be there for awhile so I don't have to worry about her well being and if she's going to try and hurt herself.

Work went better today. My temp help has received a month of training now and it's going to be sink or swim. I've done the best I can. Yes it's my employers responsibility, not mine, to make sure my job is covered and I gave 8-12 weeks notice of surgery and expected recoup time ...BUT... I have to go back to the job when this is all over. Court is very stressful and things just can't sit there till I get back so hope all goes well. I've prepared procedure manuals, check list ...if this happens then do this...etc, print screens walking through all the computer steps for each type of charge, etc. Monday's my last day at work. I've been trying to do other duties and let her do mine so I can see how well she's comprehended but she has no confidence and asks questions (just cause I'm there). I believe she knows the job well enough to get by and when I'm not there will be okay.

Now to clean the house, do the shopping, get a hair cut, do the income taxes and ...........can you tell I'm a type A personality?

I do realize that I have to put myself first during recovery and have every intention to do so. Up to Tuesday morning, however.....
Unread 03-09-2002, 06:29 AM

Hi Dollie,

I'm so glad that your dog came through her surgery OK, and that you have told your family up-front that you can't be her caretaker. Have you printed out the list of restrictions that are here on the site to show to your husband? Maybe you could also ask your doctor to talk to him about what you can and can't do.

It sounds as if you've done all that you can do, as far as your temp goes. I know what you mean about the work having to get done whether you're there or not - I work for the county. I had cross-trained a couple of full-time employees before I had my hyst, and they called me at home when necessary. Of course, for the first few days I did warn them that I was on pain killers and if I told them something that didn't make sense, to call me back and see if I gave them the same answer . It all worked out, they made some mistakes, but nothing that I couldn't fix later.

Please try to get some before you head for the castle on Tuesday - your body needs it.

We'll all be here for you when you come home.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register