Yikes, Surgery is just 5 days away and I'm stressed to the max! - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yikes, Surgery is just 5 days away and I'm stressed to the max! Yikes, Surgery is just 5 days away and I'm stressed to the max!

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:48 AM
Yikes, Surgery is just 5 days away and I'm stressed to the max!

Quote:
Originally posted by luckycat
My surgery is on the 12th to and I admit I an nervous. Friday is gone and all that is left is sat. sun. mon. than off to the hospital. I have to be there at 8:30 at outpatient and than surgery is at 11:00 and have no idea how long it takes to remove everything. I have been cleaning and getting groceries and today I got some stool softeners just in case I need them and those things are not cheep. I jsut can't think of what I have missed. I wish we had a list of to -do's...wish you the best on the 12th..
Hi Janet,

Your going to do just fine. I had a TAH in October and I so remember how it felt leading up to the day of surgery. The hardest part is not letting your mind go wild with lots of scary thoughts. The waiting is the hardest part of this whole situatuion. Don't worry about how long your surgery is going to take, your going to be a sleep and it doesn't even matter. Your going to wake up feeling fine and your not even going to remember anything about your surgery.

My doctor gave me a RX for stool softeners and I found they didn't work to well. I relied on alot of high fiber drinks (they sell them now in most drug stores) and that did the trick for me.

Here are some items I found very helpful to have after my surgery. They may help you also.

I suggest you get a heating pad, if you don't already have one. I lived with mine for 6 weeks and it was a God sent. It helps so much with your back, as you will be sitting and lying down alot and your muscles start to get very sore, and it also helped with my stomach.

If you have a nice soft pillow, you will find that very helpful with walking around. I used mine anytime I had to get up and walk. The pressure from the pillow made it so much easier to get around. At first I thought, no way am I going to put pressure on my incision, but it really didn't hurt at all and it made it so much easier to get around.

I also went and bought a few pairs of large sweat pants and large underware (I'm a size small normally). I found not having anything tight around my abdomion really helped alot, and when I found I over did it, and my abdomion swelled up, it was nice to have large pants to put on.

Hopefully you will have help during your recovery at home, so don't stress yourself out worrying about anything you've missed, I"m sure your family will be able to get you whatever you need.

Good luck and your going to be just fine. Take it slow and don't over due it and you'll be as good as new in no time. I'll be saying prayers for you.

Claire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 09:12 AM

I feel for all of you ladies preparing for surgery. I had a TAH with Right Salpingoopherectomy March 5th and the week prior to surgery was the worst! My advice -- don't worry about things you have no control over. Work will survive without you, your husbands/significant others will step up when the time comes. Take lots of long bubble baths and concentrate on anything anti-stressfull. Before is SOOOOO much worse than after as you're anticipating the unknown. Good luck and God's blessings for a speedy recovery!
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Here's some things I'm finding useful after my TAH

Hi there ladies!

Whew! I sure can relate about the pre-op jitters! My surgery was on March 5th and I was a wreck beforehand. I worked up through the day before my surgery and for me, that really helped, between work and trying to get the house ready I didn't have as much time to think about it. I'm a type A personality too, always have to be doing something!

Now I'm on the post-op side and I realize I need to focus on taking care of me for a while. After all, like they say here, you only have one chance to heal right! I've made a decision that a lot of things are just going to be put on hold for now, and the rules! I have to admit that I've spent many years putting other things first and this is time now for me to put me first so I can heal well.

So many Sisters offered great suggestions on things they found useful post-op, I'm going to chime in with the things I'm finding useful:

1) I love my reacher stick! I've learned very quickly how to pick up a lot of things with my toes, but my reacher has become a very good friend.

2) My shower chair. I have an older home with an extremely slanted ceiling above the bathtub, so I bought a shower chair and hooked up a length of tubing to the spigot. Instant shower!

3) My body pillow. It has helped me to sleep more comfortably since I've arrived home. Pillows (and lots of 'em) are a Punctured Princesses' best friend!

4) One cool Sister mentioned a new flavor of gatorade (A strawberry ice flavor), and while it's not a necessity, I'd like to find that Sister and give her a big hug! Very yummy!

5) Oh yeah, another great suggestion was to get slip-on slippers (scuffs?). I found a really good pair by Dearfoams that stay open and have non-skid rubber bottoms. I'll definitely use these long after I've healed, they're so comfortable.

There's my contribution, feel free to take what you find useful!

A big warm to you,

Your sister,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 12:49 PM

Hi Dollie,

I took my hubby to all the appointments. Then he could see from the doctors that it was a serious operation. Of course he had hernia surgery last year and that kicked his butt, so he knew kinda what I would feel like for the first week or two.

Make you the priority...that's great advice! Everything ususally works out and falls into place pretty easily. Sounds like you have a lot on your mind. Take baths, if you are allowed to, or warm showers to relax. Amazing how music soothes you too!

Don't worry, everything will be just fine, trust me!

And since you have older kiddos, they can help, make sure hubby knows that they are capable of helping!

Good to see you Chris!! Welcome to the side! Your crown looks wonderful on you!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register