HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone use your own tissue as a sling for prolapse? Anyone use your own tissue as a sling for prolapse?

Unread 08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Anyone use your own tissue as a sling for prolapse?

I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

Here's my story:
All of my pelvic organs are prolapsing and my surgery is scheduled for 8/23. I really like my GYN and trust his decisions. Right now his plan is to do the hysterectomy and repair the prolapse by using my own damaged tissue instead of using mesh. He said that 30% of the time, he needs to go back in and repair it with mesh because the tissue is already damaged and doesn't hold everything in place. I asked him about using my own healthy tissue from another part of my body instead. He looked uncomfortable and said that it's very invasive with a longer recovery period and doesn't like to do it that way. He said that he will have to use a small amount of mesh to hold my urethra up to correct my stress incontinence. He said that 2 of his patients have insisted on using their own tissue for that, so he had to have the urologist come in and do it.

My problem is that I have issues with inflammation and have had unfavorable reactions to drugs and stitches. I believe that mesh will be bad for me because of my sensitivities. I also believe that my prolapse will return because I'm not supposed to lift anything or exercise, but we farm (lots of heavy lifting) and I have an obsession with running that I will not give up until my joints force me to. I'm only 28 years old- I can't/won't quit living for fear of my prolapse returning.

I feel like my best option is to use my own healthy tissue instead of mesh or the already damaged tissue. Does anyone have experience with this? What are the risks associated with transplanting healthy tissue?

Thank you for reading this! I'm thinking about getting a second opinion at a larger hospital where there may be more options.
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Re: Anyone use your own tissue as a sling for prolapse?

Get another opinion. I had a sling to hold up my urethra made from fascia from the bikini line on my abdomen. It has worked great! The key is to find a doctor who is trained in this kind of surgery. He also took out my mesh.

I would avoid mesh completely, if I were you. The manufacturers have convinced some doctors that no one reacts to the mesh. That is untrue. There are many women who have written on this forum about adverse reactions. It can wreak your life. I would try to find a urogynecologist who does the surgeries using your own fascia. Mine was done at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:58 AM

I'm with cheryltwin really

I think if you can do without mesh then that's preferable.
I've reacted to sutures and some drugs in the past but have gone along with mesh for my TVT procedure.
I'm hoping everything will be alright eventually, but I have had a rough few months since the surgery with a few issues - hopefully resolving now, but I would have asked for a 'patch test' preop had I got my time again, then I could see how my body reacted to the mesh before having it implanted.

A second opinion could help you feel easier about the surgery you face - either backing up your surgeons opinion or yours- either way you'd know. X
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Thank you for the responses, ladies. My husband thinks I should do the surgery the way my OB/GYN wants and fix it later if there is a problem, but I'm rather have it done right the first time instead of having multiple surgeries. Cheryltwin, we're only a couple of hours away from Rochester, but how did you get in? Did you need a referral?
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM

there are women who have had mesh placed who don't have noticeable reactions. There are certainly plenty of others who had very dramatic systemic concerns, but I don't think they are the majority. My surgeon described several different uses of mesh that in the past few years had been used perhaps inappropriately, particularly in a preventative patchwork to help hold up the areas that weren't yet prolapsed, and that is especially where trouble began. I had a mesh sling placed in April and it is so far completely unnoticeable. Yes, the surgery itself was very difficult to recover from. It is very invasive IMO and many many stitches internally that I could feel and I was so exhausted for weeks and weeks. But to say across the board that mesh should not be used, I think is not always true.Just my experience.

ETA: unfortunately, no matter what repair you end up doing, we as prolapse survivors, must most likely change some of our lifestyles. Perhaps not giving up running, but heavy lifting day after day on the farm, yes, I think you may have to think seriously about that. The reality is, that any form of bladder repair is likely to fail at some point in the future. It's just how soon it may happen. It sucks, I know.
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:25 PM

I self referred. I had the surgery done in 2006, so its been awhile and I'm not sure how the Mayo works now. I had complications from mesh and went to many doctors before finally going to the Mayo and figuring out my problems were mesh related. Personally, I wouldn't risk a mesh implants, especially if you know you are sensitive to stitches. Why risk the h*** of complications if you don't have to?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.