Has anyone had to do this pre-op?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had to do this pre-op?? Has anyone had to do this pre-op??

Unread 03-08-2002, 07:47 AM
Has anyone had to do this pre-op??

yesterday during my visit with gyn before my surgery TAH, which is april 23, I was told I would have to do the go litely thing the day before and of course not eat anything... which is the same stuff you drink before having a colonoscopy so i was told.. anyway has anyone had to take this stuff before, I hear it is pretty awful and if you have any hints on making it taste more pleasant? One other thing he told me to do either the day before or the night before is a vinager or a benadyne douche... now I have never read that on this site.... has anyone had to do this.. then when I got home I realized I'd probably have my period the day of surgery... so I am going to call him to see if i still have to do this....
It doesn't matter if I have my period the day of surgery does it?? never thought to ask that to him...
just wanted everyones thoughts I am going to call him on monday...
thanks ahead of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 07:55 AM

I had the Fleet stuff. It's ginger root and lemon? Yuck! I mixed it with Welch's White Grape Peach juice and couldn't even tell it was there!

Never heard of the douche thing. Ask him if it's something you have to do, if you haven't had sex the night before.

I was given an option of taking an enema as well as the drink stuff. Guess what I choose not to do???!!! *LOL*

Sara
Unread 03-08-2002, 07:58 AM

Hi Karah,

It seems like every dr has their own prep routine. I had to do a fleet enema and betadyne douche the night before. Until midnight I didn't have any dietary restrictions, but othere sisters have said they had to be on a liquid diet the day before.

Having your period at the time of surgery is no big deal. Just tell the nurses that morning. They'll know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 08:18 AM

Hi Karah!

When I had hemheroid (sp?) surgery (yuck) last year, I had to drink the Fleet stuff. It was very salty - I had mixed it with Sprite, which I think made it taste worse!! Ask the nurse or doctor what to mix it with. Gadget Girl's mix w/ the white grape stuff sounded ok.

For my TAH, I didn't have to do an enema myself or the drink the Fleet. I did eat very light the day before mainly because I was nervous and of course then, nothing to eat or drink after midnight. My TAH was scheduled at 7:00 a.m.

I have always heard that douching is not such a healthy thing, but I'm definitely not a doctor! You might ask why he/she is having you douche.

My period was scheduled to start the day of my surgery. To say the least, I was sweating out the day before and morning off all that much more and PRAYING that Aunt Flo wouldn't come. And it didn't. YEAH!! But I've read and heard that if you do get your period the day of, it's no big deal. Just bring extra pads with you to the hospital. The hospital can provide them for you, but those hospital brands are like shoulder pads.

Good luck and lots of s coming your way!
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:30 AM
pre-op

Every doctor has different pre-op preferences. Mine was Fleets #3 prep kit (containing laxative pills, phospho-drink AND enema). No douche was prescribed but I had antibacterial vaginal suppositories for three nights before surgery.
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:50 AM

I just had a colonoscopy on February 25th and had to do the go lightly thing. Actually mine was the Nuletely. It was lemon lime flavored and better then the go lightly I had in the past but still not pleasant at all. You must go by the instructions on the prep. You are not to add any flavoring of any kind or soda to the Nuletly. It says it on the jug they give you! My doctor said to drink so many ounces every 15 to 20 minutes. What I did was put the timer on and did just like that. If I was able to drink it in 10 minutes I knew that I had another ten minutes to gear myself up for the next gulp. I had to hold my noise each time I drank any. Then I put a bottle of the soda "Coke" in front of me and would look at it as I drank the "poision potion." I would make pretend that I was drinking the coke that I was looking directly at as I drank the other stuff, and oddly enough this helped me as I have such a difficult time with those preps. I feel for you! I know I will have to drink the gallon of Nulutely before my hyst too. I will have colon surgery too. Some doctors like you to use the prep in case their is something they might need to do on the colon, adhesions, endo, etc. But sometimes it is done for safety such as if the colon got knicked or some rare complication happened it would be good to have the colon cleaned out. I wish you all the best.
Unread 03-08-2002, 09:15 AM

I did the Fleet go litely stuff for a colonoscopy last summer. As instructed, I combined it with lots of Sprite, which had a downside -- I can't drink soda fast because the bubbles hurt when I do! So I'd recommend mixing it with something sweet and non-carbonated. My doc had me pour 2 bottles' worth into 4 glasses, and fill the glasses up with Sprite, to dilute the taste.

The stuff was weird, but it was mostly the texture (slippery) that got to me. It did taste salty, but I held my nose and just focused on breathing and drinking fast but not rushing. It wasn't fun, but I could do it again.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 03-08-2002, 10:37 AM

Now my instructions are eat anything I want until Midnite before surgery and an enema and douche in the am 3 hrs prior to getting to the hospital.

She had me do this prior to the lap last summer.

I guess each Dr has their own prefrences.
Unread 03-08-2002, 11:12 AM

The main thing is that you do exactly what is directed for your own particular prep as there as several different preps with different instructions. Some they tell you to add sprite to it while others say that you are not to add any flavoring or additional fluids to it. So following doctors orders is always your best bet
Unread 03-08-2002, 11:44 AM

Now I am concerned. My OB-GYN is on vacation this week and I am to have my surgery on the 13th of March, next Wednesday. I went for my pre-admission testing this Wednesday and no one has told me anything about an enema or any laxative. Has everyone had to have this? I would assume that they would want the bowel as empty as possible. Do you think I should call my GYN DR on Monday to see if there is a prep that he wants me to do? I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this site. It has been God sent!!! I am a little apprehensive about post-op discomfort, but I was told that I am going to given the Morphine pump to administer myself. If anyone has had the experience of using this, how well does it work? Rating the pain from 1 - 10 after surgery where would you rate it???? PLEASE DON'T SAY 10!!!
Suzanne

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register