Has anyone had to do this pre-op?? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had to do this pre-op?? Has anyone had to do this pre-op??

Unread 03-08-2002, 11:57 AM
Has anyone had to do this pre-op??

SEP1123 - Are you having the hysterectomy vaginally or adominally? I had a TAH/BSO on 2/13/02 and I asked the doctor if I needed to give myself an enema or any sort of laxative and he said no. I assume they took care of that while I was under before surgery. I didn't have a liquid diet either the day before surgery...I just ate very light. Every doc is different. Just make sure to follow what he/she recommends.

I was on IV morphine after surgery for about 2 days. During that time I was uncomfortable, but no pain. The worst pain in the hospital was a migraine I had waking up on the 3rd day - but they then gave me oral Darvocet and that was fine. I've been dealing with very painful periods for all my life, so this was a breeze. NO MORE PAINFUL PERIODS!!!!!!!!!!!! WAH HOO!

Try not to worry too much and if you have questions, don't be afraid to call your doctor's office and talk to the nurses there. It's normal to be nervous!

Best wishes and s to all the Sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 12:06 PM

I had to use the Nylitely prep for my colonoscopy and for my hyst (TAH/BSO). I didn't think it was too bad (although it is a lot of fluid). I did the lemonlime and it wasn't bad - it comes in a couple flavors so ask. Having it REALLY cold helps so pick it up and mix it the day before.
Unread 03-08-2002, 12:59 PM
douching during period is a no no

Definitely check with your dr. about the douching while having your period. I know having a period during surgery or before is not really a big deal. My dr. said recovery was better if the surgery was done during the first couple weeks of the cycle.

However the package instructions on the inside of the douche box say DO NOT douche during your period or if you have vaginal bleeding or spotting.

If you have time today before the office closes, you can call them and leave a message with the nurse or office so you don't have to worry about it over the weekend. The nurse should be able to answer the questions or will be able to return the call on the next business day. That's how some offices work. If for some reason they have to reschedule, they can look over the O.R. schedule before it gets overbooked so you can get a date before or after your period is over. I really don't think the period is a big deal but check with the dr. since his instructions about the douche is something I've never heard of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 02:22 PM

Hi Suzanne!

I would definitely call the DR's office to be sure they did not forget to give you special instructions. If there are none, then please don't do anything on your own, such as bowel prep or douche.

Hi Karah,

I had to drink the stuff that kinda looked like a bottle of 7-up and was kinda lemon-limey.... I was also told NOT to mix it with anything, but I could pour it in a glass over ice and I could drink it through a straw, which I did. At first it didn't taste too bad, but toward the end it did start to get on my nerves. I was also told to drink it within a short period of time.

I had abdominal not vaginal so I was not instructed to do a betadine douche, though I have read about others who have. I agree that it's best to check the DR's office first if you are bleeding when the time comes.

Best wishes to you Ladies In Waiting! We're here for ya!
Unread 03-08-2002, 02:34 PM

Mine was the Fleet drink (I told my husband they have a real nerve referring to the ginger and lemon as "flavor" YUCK) Saturday evening and Sunday morning, all liquids Sunday - he normally doesn't do this, but there was a chance of cancer, so they wanted my bowels cleaned out just in case. I added it to water, gulped fast, then quickly drank another 8 oz water afterward Also had the benadyne douche in the morning before I went to the hospital. And, check with your doctor, but I had my last period (nature's last little sense of humor) when I went in for surgery, and there was no problem whatsoever.
Unread 03-08-2002, 02:39 PM

Hey SugarB thank you for the input. I am going to be having a TAH/BSO. The information you gave me put me at ease, along with all of the other posts I have been reading. It is so amazing that we all go through the same emotions. I guess you could say I have been nesting today. I decided to clean my kitchen, dining room and bathroom. My darling husband is going to be taking two weeks out of work to stay at home with me....I also read about bringing candy for the nurse. Would you suggest I bring them in my suitcase? Did you bring any of your own nightshirts or did you just use the hospital "beauties"? Was is your total time down post op? I was told by my physician that if it were vaginal or lap that it would probably be 4 weeks, however being that it is abdominal count on 6 weeks? What is the truth behind that?
This is the greatest web site in the world!! I am waiting for my Hystersisters Book to arrive. I am excited about that!!! Thank you everyone for making us post-op rincess:
Suzanne
Unread 03-08-2002, 03:41 PM
to SEP1123

Haven't been home long enough to say how long recovery is, but others will tell you that there is a LOT of internal healing that needs to happen. Individuals will vary in how fast they feel better - our bodies are all different!

I wore the hospital garb - figured I wasn't there long enough to bother, and I may as well let them do the laundry! I brought a robe, but the gowns they had tied at the back and side, and covered everything sufficiently that I never wore anything over it.

As for candy, I put that in a bowl that I put in a paper bag and instructed my husband to put it out as soon as he got it to my room (they didn't give an actual room till AFTER the surgery, since they might need to change it before then.) Every time a nurse or cleaning person came it, I'd remind them about it, and I wandered down to the front desk to tell them and bring them some after I was mobile. It was very much appreciated.
Unread 03-08-2002, 05:51 PM

I nested before surgery too...cleaned my kitchen, bathrooms and especially my bedroom where I thought I'd be recovering. But since it was hard to get in and out of bed and my DH snores anyway, I opted to sleep in the nice recliner in the living room. Worked out well - it was easier to get in and out of. It's nice your hubby can be off two weeks to pamper you! MDH was able to take off a few days, then his sister came and took care of me.

I brought in chocolate turtles for the nurses in the hospital. The day after my surgery was Valentine's Day. I just brought them in in my bag and had MDH get them out and hand them to the nurse to take back to the nurse's station.

I wore the hospital garb and brought my robe. When I walked, I put the robe on just in case my rear was hanging out.

My doc said 6 weeks for me since I was abdominal. And he really was pretty strict about it. He said some women take 4, some 8, but count on 6. Since I'm in no hurry to get back to work...I'm taking the full 6. I could probably go back to work at 4, but I'm still healing! And the doc's will tell you that to fullly get over a TAH, it takes 6 MONTHS. So remember to pamper yourself!

You'll love the Hyster Sisters book. I devoured it in 2 days and then have read and re-read it many times.

s to all who are waiting and to those already pampered es!!
Unread 03-09-2002, 06:55 PM

for Alisa
Thanks for the input. I just wish I could give all of you who have been so kind to share your story a . I can't tell you what it has meant to me. Your right when you say the anticipation of the surgery and the unknow is what really is difficult. I know that I need to get this done, and I am looking forward to being pain-free after 7 year with all of the pain and discomfort, but I do have to be honest, I am still apprehensive. I am going in Wednesday, surgery is planned for 9AM. I am to be there at 7. I also have asthma, and they have already given me the breathing machine to start using at home. THey told me to use it 3-4 times a day, which I have been faithfully doing. I don't want to have to deal with any pulmonary problems. This website has been GOD SEND to me as I am sure it has been to everyone here. What would I have done without all of you "SISTERS" Thanks again!!!! Love you all!!!!
Suzanne
Unread 03-09-2002, 07:23 PM

Suzanne - you're welcome!! And, in answer to your earlier post, others may have different experiences, and we all have different pain tolerance, but I NEVER had a level 10 pain - the goal at my hospital was to keep it below level 4 below, and I only had one brief time when it went there. I had been asleep, and so didn't catch it in time. Mostly the meds kept it closer to a 1 or 2. You let those nurses know!

The pain level chart I got was (other numbers not mentioned are in between):
0 - no pain
2- mild pain
4- moderate pain
6- severe pain
8- very severe pain
10 - worst possible

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register