Tvh-bso ? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Tvh-bso ?

I've been reading for days and I'm not finding anyone that has had a TVH-BSO. Also, what about anyone who went thru all the hormone treatments before, Do you go thru all the side affects as badly afterwards? I'm scheduled to go for surgery on Monday 3/18/2002 and the doctor said I would be there for one night and I wouldn't be on any drip machine. After 3-years of ******* pills, tests, & lap surgery less than 4 weeks ago, I'm actually excited about having this done. I sleep 4 hours a night,(if I'm lucky, 6 with sleeping pills) have migraines that make me cry everyday, every muscle in my body aches and screams pain and my abdomen feels like someone is slicing it with a knife daily. In addition to endomietriosis, I have Fibromyalgia.

This website has been a blessing for a lot of my questions but I'm still wondering about the TVH-BSO. I've had ovarian surgery before where they did the surgery by opening my abdomen, so I know what that is all about.

With a TVH-BSO is there a lot of abdomen pain? Do you bleed afterwards? How long are you usually off your feet before going back to work?

I have many more questions but, I can't seem to shake this migraine today so I'm going home and turning off all the lights and laying in the dark after taking 3-4 Zomig's.

Thanks for listening and I hope someone can help me with the
TVH-BSO surgery, I feel really blind about it.

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Tvh-bso ?

Hi,

I had a TAH, but my sister-in-law had a TVH BSO a few months ago. She said she felt so good after, she wasn't sure anything had been done. She also said she felt well enough to go back to work after 2 weeks, but did take the full 6 weeks off. It is a major surgery and everyone heals differently.

I've only had some spotting since my surgery and one day when I had some bleeding. That makes me very happy!

Good luck to you,

cyaple
Unread 03-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Tvh-bso ?

Hi Brenda!

Welcome!

Try not to be too concerned about the hormonal aspect of this for the time being; many ladies do fine... - best not to *look* for trouble just because there are others who do struggle a bit. You may not have any problem at all.

I had TAH/BSO - which is basically the same surgery on the inside as a TVH/BSO. The difference is the route taken to get to the surgery site. This is quite invasive, and it does require a 6-8 week recovery period wherein it's advised to take it pretty easy on ourselves to assure the smoothest and most effective healing possible.

The after-surgery pain is very relative and different from one gal to the next. That's why it's best just to plan to take it easy on yourself during initial recovery.

Some women do experience some spotting after surgery. Some do not.

I certainly hope that this surgery does help you with your problems; bless your heart!

We'll be here for you throughout your journey!

There is also a wonderful group of ladies in Chat - please come on in and share some real-time support!

Best wishes and HUGS, sweetie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 10:47 AM
Tvh-bso ?

Hi, Brenda,

I had a TVH/BSO, and I'll be glad to share my experience.

I was hospitalized overnight, and I was more than ready to go home the next morning. I had a PCA pump (for pain) at my request, because my doctor doesn't usually prescribe them for TVH patients. The pump didn't help me, but a medication called Toradol helped a lot. I had no abdominal pain at all. All of my pain was back pain. If you're having back pain, also ask for a heating pad, because that really helped.

My doctor didn't use vaginal packing, but some doctors do, with a TVH. Ask your doctor about vaginal packing, so you'll know what to expect.

Although I had extremely heavy vaginal bleeding for months before my surgery, I had exactly one drop of blood after my surgery. Other than that, I had no vaginal bleeding at all. Other women may have different experiences with this.

At home, back pain was my big complaint, and it lasted for a week or more. No abdominal pain, for me. My back hurt in whatever sleeping position I chose.

My doctor told me to spend the first two weeks reclining, feet elevated. I didn't stay in bed much, but I did lounge on the sofa a lot. I rested, drank lots of water, walked, and rested some more, like a good Princess.

I was cleared to drive at two weeks postop, but I was too tired to want to go anywhere.

At three weeks, my doctor cleared me to do "whatever I felt like doing," except for sex. I still desperately needed to rest. My eyes would glaze over frequently, and my family would know that I needed another nap. I listened to my body, and continued to rest.

I felt a tiny bit better every day, but it took six weeks before my energy returned. At six weeks, I could have returned to work, but not before then.

Every woman will have a different experience with a hysterectomy. The above is my own experience.

At eight months postop, I feel absolutely great.

Good luck with your surgery, and let me know if you have other questions.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Thank you

Thank you all for your reply's and support. I have become addicted to this website and learn more with each paragraph I read.

I'm not scared at all about having the surgery and believe that it will help a lot of the problems I have but know it will not cure all.

The support and generousity I have seen and am now experiencing first hand is second to none and I can't wait to spread the address.

It's sort of funny, I have been cleaning my house all day, downstairs this week and I'll finish the upstairs next week, I remember 17-19+ years ago when I had my sons the week before having them the "cleaning" frenzy that I went on and I'm chuckling with every swipe of the wash rag....

I didn't think that TVH would be as bad as a TAH but, didn't know of anyone who went thru the TVH but I had abdominal surgery on an ovarian cist 10 years ago and I remember the pain that I went thru with that. It's nice to talk with someone who has been thru it .

Again, Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it all turns out or is that comes out.

Brenda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register