Acne | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-08-2002, 05:10 PM
Acne

I have problems with acne. It's not really bad, but worse than I think a 30 year old woman should have to deal with. Right now I am on continuous BCP's. They work great for my acne, but once I have my surgery, I'm going to stop the bcp's. I know my acne will return because if I miss just 2 of my pills, I break out. Do any of you deal with acne? What do you do for it. I don't want to stay on bcp's if I don't have to. I know it's completely hormonal for me because it's worse around my period and during each of my pregnancies and while I was breastfeeding, I had no problems. I will be keeping my ovaries, so I will have all my own hormones. Any suggestions? Everyone already thinks I look like a teenager(I hear it atleast once a week and the older I get, the more I hear it), I don't want one more thing to make me look like a teenager.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Acne

Hi There!

After years (like 40) of having crystal-clear skin, all of a sudden I started breaking out with acne! I'm thinking this could have been a hormonal thing with me, too - BUT this was before I knew about my gyn problems that led to my hyst.

I went to a Dermatologist and he prescribed Minocycline which has really worked for me. Perhaps your DR can consult with you and a Dermatologist to come up with the best solution for you at this time, under these circumstances.

Just a suggestion - perhaps something you can check into?

Best wishes, sweetie!

(((((((HUGS))))))))
Unread 03-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Acne Too!

I too have suffered with acne my whole life. I had my skin under control, or so I thought, until my hormones went haywire. I have regular facials with a registered esthetician and she told me that she feels my acne is caused by this. I am hoping after my surgery that my acne will improve. I get regular facials and not only do they help my skin rid itself of impurities, it is a treat for me. I have a religeous skin care regimen and the Estee Lauder line has been the most beneficial for me. Kind of pricey, but they work.Hope you find relief soon.

Moe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Acne

Hi ladies, I had a problem with acne back in the teen years, and back then we dealt with it using antibiotics (frowned on nowadays but it sure worked)...things cleared up until I hit the big 4-0 and then as perimenopause began I started getting monthly breakouts...I had my surgery 2/4, including BSO, have been on the patch and since then my skin has cleared up! It is a ray of sunshine...
Hope others have had the same good fortune.

- Linda
Unread 03-29-2002, 10:11 PM
Acne

I just found this thread and because it is right up my alley, had to reply. I had clear skin until I had my tubes tied in 87 (age 28) and went off the pill. I had been on it almost 10 years and did not want any more children. My son was almost 10 at the time and I was not about to start over again. Within 6 months of going off the pill, my face was a wreck.

Over the years, I've been on every type of treatment imaginable...accutane, minocycline, tetracycline, retin-a. Since I went back on the pill 2 yrs ago, because of irregular cycles, the acne has gotten better. I'm planning on keeping my ovaries if they are healthy, but hate to think of going off the pill and having to deal with the cystic acne again as well as hot flashes. After reading about the benefits of the birth control pill (if you want the website, let me know and I'll get it to you), I'm going to ask if I can stay on them since they seem to have kept my hot flashes at bay.
Unread 03-30-2002, 07:25 AM
Acne

I also had my tubes tied and I did it so I wouldn't have to be on BCP's and now I have to be on them because of all my problems and I was looking forward to not having to take a pill everyday after my surgery. Lately I have been forgetting pills alot and when I miss more than 1 or 2, I start breaking out. I guess that's a good reminder that I need to take my pill

I would be interested in that website you were talking about. I definately need to explore my options before my surgery in June.

Thanks for your response
Unread 03-30-2002, 09:59 PM
Acne

Here's the link to the site from the Mayo Clinic about "The pill revisited: Benefits beyond birth control - MayoClinic.com"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=HQ01522

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register