TVH with A&P and Tummy Tuck HELP! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH with A&P and Tummy Tuck HELP! TVH with A&P and Tummy Tuck HELP!

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:10 AM
TVH with A&P and Tummy Tuck HELP!

I'm writing another post because I only received one answer from the post I made yesterday. (I really appreciate that answer, by the way!)
I am so
I am scheduled for a TVH along with a anterior/posterior repair and repair of prolaopsed rectum. I will also be having a full tummy tuck so that the ab muscles will be strong to support my organs! Anyhow, I am so worried about how my family will get along. Not only for the three days I am hospitalized, but for the duration of my healing. I have NO ONE to take care of us. My husband will do what he can, but besides him, that is it.
I am also afraid that I will have more pain than I can bear and I will be sorry I had the surgeries. (The cause for my hysterectomy is the fact that I have a 2nd...almost 3rd degree prolapse of my uterus, as well as my bladder, rectum, etc. I am 32 years old.)
I am trying to have a positive attitude, but it is nearly impossible right now. -Lillith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:19 AM
HELP

I too worried all of the time about that..How is my family going to get along with me not being able to do anything I was lucky in that my husband has been off work due to work injury and he is 4 mths post op from one surgery and due back next month for another one.. So he is home all of the time..I have three kids.they are 14, 11 and 6 so they are older and able to understand more why I can't do things..They have been such a major support system that I can never thank them enuf..Hubby has been getting it done..Granted..things are not done the way I"d do them here and the house doesn't look like if I were cleaning it..But I have had to let that go and say to myself..IT is clean, we are fed and we have clean clothes and until I heal that is okay..They do good..they adjust to the situation..We can only do what we can do and let the rest go..You'll be fine..And the healing isn't that bad..But then I did not have the tummy tuck too..so you'll have TVH and then also an incision too cuz of the tummy tuck? I WANT a tummy tuck..lol.Three kids and I have a "skirt" is what i call it......Now is the time to worry about YOU and getting better...then life will be back to normal..
Unread 03-09-2002, 06:50 AM
help

Unfortuantely my kids are 3 and 1. So they Totally don't understand! LOL about your "skirt"! I call mine an apron! My DH will be home the first week on vacation. The second week he will work from home. After that, I think it is pretty much up to me. Unfortunately, what I am reading is that I will not be up and about much until 5 weeks!!!!! I am really worried about all of it. Thanks for your reply!!!! It means so much to hear from other women who are dealing with this! You are so AWESOME! -Lillith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:54 AM

I have no help besides DH as well and he only has the 3 days I am in the hospital off this time. It wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have two 3 yr olds running around. This will be my 3rd (and hopefully final) surgery in less than a year. I can tell you that the pain can be bad the first few days if you don't keep pain meds in your system (I didn't take them the first time because they made me drowsy and I couldn't sleep. I learned my lesson and took Ibuprofin regularly the last time and it helped.) The good news is the pain does get managable as every day goes by. Getting around also gets easier. The housework will get done when it gets done so don't worry about it. The situation is only temporary. The only problems I had were chasing after the twins and not getting enough rest. It was hard wanting to sleep but I couldn't because the children were awake. I don't look forward to that again but I have no choice. I looked for help this time but found none, not even for the day of surgery. In any case, we all survived before and I am confident we will all survive again, if only by the skin of our teeth! Just take care of yourself so you can heal, everything else will work itself out.

JoAnn
TAH/BSO 3/13
Unread 03-09-2002, 07:32 AM
dont worry too much

i was worried about the same thing .not sure how old your kids are but all i had was my husband to take care of us too.. we have 4 kids ages 16, 12, 10,3...so i was pretty worried , but i was surprised at how well everything went without me.....i am not even sure my 3 yr old knew i was even gone .. i was gone 3days/2nights... i am 11days post-op and doing great, do alot of resting and figuring out short cuts while you lay around the castle waiting to go home , by the time you get home you might have some new ideas but all in all people do survive without us.....but we all still worry dont we? :-D And even small children can sometimes follow short instructions and get stuff for us so we can stay laying down... i found too much laying hurt my back and neck , so i like to get around for a few minutes here and there, besides this is all temporary too , so we might as well let a little dust gather and let things go maybe jus a little , you can find easier foods to prepare especially if you have a microwave. I had to let the kids rooms get a little more messy than usuall and for the most part they all helped out....Good luck to you, Think positive always it helps!!!take care and God bless
Unread 03-09-2002, 08:04 AM
also worried

Hello all!
This is my first post. I too am scheduled for same type of surgery TVH cystocele, and rectocele repair and bladder sling no tummy tuck tho. I have 4 children ages 11, 13, 15, 16. Thank God at least one extra driver.

My DH will be off day of surg. March 19th. then back to work, Not sure if mom will be up to comming to help, not feeling well herself. I'v decided that the world will not come to an end if I can't cook or clean for a few weeks. Take out for family and lite eating for me. I must say I sometime have panic moments when reality sets in. I too would like to hear from any and all who may have had similar surg. I'v opted for spinal/epidural for more rapid recovery. Providing anesthes. agrees.

Help I need re-assurance!!

This site has been a God send Thank you all for your uncensored honesty
jmarie
Unread 03-30-2002, 03:51 AM
I feel the same way

I am 36 years old and having a tvh,cystocele and rectocele on May 1st. I am also worried how my family will get through this. I have two teenage boys and a 5 yeard old daughter that is horrified that mommy will be away for 3 days. I do have family to help. My husband will be home for the first few days then my mother will be here to help. But I worry about the little things--laundry, dishes and stuff---- I do everything here.
I am sure your family will understand and help as I am hopeing mine does also.
The pain------thats what scares me the most!!!!Never had any type of surgery before.I can tolerate pain to a point , but not sure how much. Reading this post is helping me have a more positive outlook on things.
Hope all goes well for you---dmb1966
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:05 AM

I too am having a TVH, sling and AP repair - on 4/15 (pre-op scheduled for 4/10). Luckily I have a DH at home (has been a house husband for 8 years) and 2 of our DD's are near by (18 year old lives at home and 30 year old lives close) - actually my only fear at this time was when the girls said "Don't worry mom, we will fix your hair and makeup after surgery" - scarry thought LOL).

I am told by my pre-op friends / co-workers that a private room is a necessity, SOOO, I have requested a private room and will pay the difference that my insurance doesn't.

One of my pre-op friends told me that it has made the greatest change in her live (the sling) - no more pads every day for when you laugh, sneeze, cough, move to fast and piddle on yourself. But my biggest fear really, is that they give me enough anti-biotic - these hospitals today are just (IMHO) filthy, and I really worry about staph infections and such - I can handle the pain and discomfort of the surgery.
Unread 03-30-2002, 07:30 AM

I am very lucky I guess...my husband is the "cook" in the family and my mother is wonderful...I am concerned too about taking care of everything during recovery...my DH does cook and helps out a lot on an everyday basis, but cleaning is not his specialty. I am lucky to have a 17 year old step daughter that lives with us that can help out with that and my son is almost 9, so he is capable of doing most things for himself....I hope everything works out...I am just not going to worry about the housework and concentrate on the recovery! Good luck and keep us posted! Wish I lived closer...I'd come help you out
Unread 03-31-2002, 01:57 AM

hello everyone I just want to put my two cents in here as I am
just 11 days post op
with TVH with A & P repairs
I have not had a bad time of it so far just rest drink and walk
and stay on top of your pain meds
I kept a pad of paper next to my pain meds and every time I took a pill I wrote down the time if it was am or pm that way I didn't have to wonder if and when I took my last dose or if it was time to take another pill
if My hubby gave me a pill I made sure he wrote it down too
as they will make you sleepy which your body needs for the healing process
but this surgery is not that bad
I smoked up till the day I went in to the castle and I have not had one since
I have this horrible cough and I didn't want to damage my doctors work I knew that I had to stop smoking
I was so afraid of my coughing
well I got rid of the cigs and I got rid of the cough I still cough but I can go two or three days without coughing
hugs ladypeewee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register