Can I please have a look through your "Hindsight is 20/20" glasses? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I please have a look through your "Hindsight is 20/20" glasses? Can I please have a look through your "Hindsight is 20/20" glasses?

Unread 03-09-2002, 09:44 AM
Can I please have a look through your "Hindsight is 20/20" glasses?

Hello, Lovely Princesses!

First, thank you all for being here and for sharing your experiences! I'm making my trip to the castle in ten days, and I'll be taking with me a wealth of knowledge I've gained from reading your informative and warm posts!

I'm wondering if you'd take the time to tell me, in hindsight...
prior to your surgery...

~ what did you do (or know) that you were grateful to have done (or known)?
~ what did you not do (or not know) that you wish you had done (or known)?

Thanks again for sharing your words of wisdom with those of us who are nervous Ladies in Waiting! (Is it REALLY true that the waiting is the worst part??)

(not yet a Princess) Fiona <---- shining up her crown!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 09:52 AM

Hello soon-to-be-Princess Fiona!

The best thing I did before my surgery was to read all about what to expect from this website! Reading others' experiences sure did help me; when I went to the castle, nothing they did caught me off guard.

At this moment I cannot think of anything I should have done, or that I would do if I had it to do over again.

I think this is a great question! Honestly, if it weren't for all my wonderful Hyster sisters here, these answers would be quite different, because I was clueless before I found this site.

You might find some great insight (real-time) by going to the Chat room! Terrific ladies in there you can chat with who will also share their experiences with you.

Best wishes to you, sweetie - we will be here for you throughout your journey!

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))
Unread 03-09-2002, 10:31 AM

Hi Fiona!

This website was a God-send to me. It answered many questions I had concerning my surgery. I found myself re-reading old posts and helpful hints days before my surgery.

The waiting is hard! And you will be glad when your day finally comes! Everyone has different experiences, but the waiting was one of the hardest parts.

One thing I might have missed (and I thought I read everything) was that I would have so much trouble having a bm after the surgery. The ladies here said "walk & drink lots of water", which I did, but I still had problems. I waited too long to call my Dr (5 days post-op) and was in serious pain from not having a bm. I would recommend have some Senekot handy post-op, if case you have trouble. I guess sometimes we need a little help! Other than that, I really can't think of anything. But like I said, this was my experience!

Take care, keep a positive attitude and you'll do fine!

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 11:05 AM

I'm wondering if you'd take the time to tell me, in hindsight...
prior to your surgery...

~ what did you do (or know) that you were grateful to have done (or known)?
~ what did you not do (or not know) that you wish you had done (or known)?

Hm, well, I was grateful for each thing I learned from this site. I really enjoyed reading the stories on the pull-downs. Read those the night before surgery.

I wish I had known how doped up I would feel with the morphine pump! And that I would need nausea meds with that. That was awful, but faded quickly.

Everything was pretty much how I expected it to be.

You will look FAB in your new crown!

Sara
Unread 03-09-2002, 11:12 AM

Well, I must say I wish I had worn my socks the entire time. I sleep in very weird positions. When I slept with my legs crossed indian style that my toes got hung up in my cathater. Even the first time I gave it a big tug trying to repositon it did not don on me to put my socks on to keep it from happening again. Other than that I don't think there was anything I would have done diffrently.
Angela
Unread 03-09-2002, 01:06 PM

Things I was glad I did:

Read here and elsewhere on the internet about medicine and herbs not to take prior to surgery - and that I checked EVERYTHING (including vitamins) with my doctor. I'm glad I asked about iron tabs (he had me take them for a few weeks prior and I need to take them for a while after as well).

Spent a lot of time making lists of what to bring to the hospital, and what to do and expect afterward. Most of it was cut and pasted from posts I read here, and was invaluable! Like others, I read all I could of people's stories and suggestions, so when I was going through it, most of it felt like I'd done it before! It was VERY comforting.

Heeded the often repeated advice here - get up and walk (standing up straight) as soon and as much as you can, and drink drink drink! It's important for healing, for your lungs, gas, for constipation, and for your mental health - you feel more like a human being
than if you're stuck in bed.

Had a spinal with sedation. You don't remember anything anyway, and they give you iv morphine that lasts a long time. I was alert and in very little pain, didn't need a morphine pump, had no initial nausea (though I had a bit later in the evening) and no sore throat from a tube being shoved down it. I don't really know if they put anti nausea meds in the initial morpine, but I am glad I asked for it when they gave me some morphine the next morning

Found out about Colase from people here. I was given Colase in the hospital twice a day, and had bought a bottle before I went in, having read about it on this board. I picked up the Generic (name is ducosate sodium, usp - 100 mg softgel tabs) at one of the big drug store chains (can't recall which) for about $3 for 100 tabs. I am drinking prune juice, and trying to increase fiber. Other than the Colase, I was told by doctor to only use Milk of Magnesia or Ducolax suppositories - they did NOT want me to take laxatives - so check with yours before taking any medications. Ask specifically about things people here recommend.

Yes, Angela - warm feet ARE important (mine are always cold anyway)!. My hospital provided little "footies" that I put on before surgery, and they had new ones for me to wear each day (I even got to take them with me). I brought my own , but never wore them.

Honestly can't think of much I wish I'd done differently!
Unread 03-09-2002, 01:23 PM

princess fiona (love your name!)
i wasen't put on liquid or any other special diet pre-op. but...
about 4 days pre-op i started eating homemade vegetable soups, salads, steamed veggies, for breakfast lunch and dinner. drank a ton of water, i drank almost a gallon of water a day. i think eating soft foods really helped once it was time to...have a bm. this is a milestone once you are post-op.
when i was still in a drug stuppor in the castle, all i kept thinking about was a message tina (viking7779) always posts

so everytime i got up to use the bathroom, i'd think of her and drink more water, go potty, and then walk down the hall, get back to bed and rest.

keep reading posts, ask a million questions here, read the hystersisters book, follow your drs. orders and you'll be fine too!
the waiting is the hardest part, remember you have to support of every woman here!!

's jeanne
Unread 03-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Fiona--

Great question! I had my surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago, and I am doing really, really well. I don't think there's anything I would NOT have done. But here are the things that especially helped:

1. I asked a LOT of people to send me a prayer on my surgery day.
2. I read everything I could on this fantastic website.
3. I visualized the surgery for a week or 2 beforehand, imagining everything going very well. And I imagined myself in recovery saying, "This was much easier than I thought it would be!" (And it was.)
4. I trusted my doctor and asked lots of questions.
5. I had 4 friends who came up with a schedule for taking care of me. Somebody was with me 24 hours a day for the first 5 days, and then after that they cooked for me, washed clothes, whatever I needed for 2 more weeks. I felt incredibly cared for, and there was no one person who was overstressed in doing too much.
6. Walking as much as I could without overdoing.
7. Drinking water. Yes, they say that a lot on this site. But my doctor's instructions said to drink 10-12 8 oz. glasses of water a day. That's a LOT of water! I ended up getting four 24 oz. sport bottles and labeling them 1, 2, 3, 4 and filling them up the night before. That way I knew I needed to drink enough to at least be halfway through bottle #4 by nighttime and I didn't have to try to remember how much I'd had.
8. A chair in the shower so that I could both sit and so I could reach my legs and feet.
9. LIQUID soap for the shower so the soap doesn't slip and land on the floor.
10. Having a grabber/reacher. This was a godsend. Otherwise, anything that dropped was on the floor until someone else picked it up for me.
11. Finding out what vitamins, homeopathic med would help me after surgery. (Arnica at first, then hypericum and Vitamins A, C, E and zinc for me. But, of course, ALWAYS ask your doc/health professionals.)
12. Of course, lots of rest.

I was amazed to find out that what is on said on this site about the waiting being the worst part was totally true for me. Although there has been some discomfort, I've had no really horrible pain, and everything has been definitely handleable.

My very, very best wishes and blessings go to you, and I hope your surgery and recovery are as easy or easier than mine.

Irisrose
Unread 03-09-2002, 02:45 PM

My glasses seem no different than anyone else's who has posted to your question. While I had quite a few open myomectomies before my TAH, I still gained a wealth of knowledge from this board so there were no surprises. Mostly in the questions to ask my doctor pior to making my decision.

The only thing I would have done differently was made sure my doctor had a camera before surgery. Both the doctor's that worked on me commented that they wished they had a camera because what they found when they opened me up was a bit unusual, and to be honest I think it would have been really cool to see.

If anything between my previous surgeries and this board I may have gained a false expectation of my pain level.

BSQ
Unread 03-09-2002, 03:41 PM

Waiting for the unknown was definitely the worst for me. I stewed about everything! But then I did not find hystersisters til after my surgery! My dh got me a calling card so I could call long distance while in the castle. I hadn't thought of that. I was home in 36 hours and although I was careful to rest, I didn't want to be a slug.....so moving around as much as you can tolerate is a good thing! It sounds like you have lots of good material to draw from, and I am sure that you will do well. Oh, the one thing that I didn't take to castle with me was chapstick, and I really could have used that! Do ask the nurses for anything that you might need or have questions about.......I woke up during the nite with the urge to urinate and after thinking about it for a minute realized that I still had a catheter in! I called the nurse, and sure enough, the catheter had a kink in it and was not draining as it should! Best of luck.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register