Hysterectomy or not? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy or not? Hysterectomy or not?

Unread 03-09-2002, 11:20 AM
Hysterectomy or not?

I am new to this website.

I am 45 years old and had a Thermal Ablation about a year and a half ago. The reason for the procedure was heavy bleeding and clotting. I am finding that gradually, my menstral cycle is returning to what it used to be before the procedure. I am having a pelivc sonogram soon, although I have had them before and showed no abnormalities.

I am considering a hysterectomy, but I am afraid I am "jumping" the gun. I feel that a hysterectomy may be too drastic. considering there are no medical conditions (no fibroids, cysts, or endometriosis) to warrent the surgery other than heavy bleeding and cramping. I am also afraid of all the side effects after the surgery.

My cycle is anywhere from 21 to 26 days. I begin feeling the effects of PMS as soon as I ovulate, then wait about 10 to 14 days to begin bleeding, and spend the next 6 or 7 days bleeding. As you can see, most of the month is miserable. As if that is not enough to deal with I have lots of gastro problems also, that may be in control until the PMS begins then they seem to kick in also. Not every period is very heavy bleeding, just some. It seems years ago, the fix for heavy bleeding was a D&C. Is it ever done on someone who already had a thermal ablation?

My doctor is suggesting that I have the surgery. Anyone have any suggestions or info?

Thanks for your time!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Hysterectomy or not?

Sue,
I know exactly where you are at with your decision making! It's a tough thing to think about having something like a hysterectoomy.
Even though we don't give medical advice, I can only tell you what happened to me.

About a year ago, my periods started getting worse with lots of bleeding, clots, ,longer times of bleeding and lots of cramping and pain. I had been on BCP for 1/2 my life (I'm 40y/o). When I would be off the pill trying to get pregnant, ovulation was really painful and lasted until my period or pregnancy, which ever came first.
A year ago though even on my BCP, I had maybe 1 good week out of the month. My doc changed my pills which was of no help.
It didn't shorten bleeding time but I still was miserable most of the time. I decided on letting the doc do a laparoscopy. He found adenomyosis. (Endo in the walls of the uterus). Any therapies were temporary. I decided on a hysterectormy, leaving my ovaries, if they were healthy, which they were. My path report post op showed fibroids too.

I decided I was too young to be so miserable. With 2 small children and a 20y/o I felt like I wasn't much of a mom for them.
I wish you luck in what ever your decision it. We'll be here for you either way!

and Blessings,
Janie
Unread 03-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Hysterectomy or not?

My story is pretty much like Janie's.

Why don't you go and find a second opinion, a third, a fourth...I did. And I got 4 different answers.

You don't say if you are married or not, but, if you are, what does your hubby think of all of this? Mine came with me to all the exams and appts. just to make sure I didn't miss something important!

Good luck in your decision, whatever you decide!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 05:49 AM
no decision yet

Hello,

Forgive me, but I cannot stay away from this website! The frist thing I do each morning with my coffee is log on and read the new posts! You guys are amazing!!

I had my pelvic sono and vaginal ultrasound yesterday. Since no one saw any fibroids the last time, I don't think they will this time. I am still wrestleing with the decsion to have a hyst, so I was thinking about any other tests that I might have. Janie, you mentioned a laparoscopy, what is that? Sounds like a test of some kind.

I feel like my mom and sister are thinking that I am opting for surgery for no real good reason. They do not know how horrible I feel each month, but I still feel guilty. My dh is supportive of me (thank god!). I guess I want to have some "medical proof" of adeno. and I know that is difficult for this disease.

Anyway, thanks again for listening, you guys should be so proud of what you do for others by sharing your experiences and taking the time to reply to all our questions.

:confuse:
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:59 AM
Hysterectomy or not?

I had ablation and laproscopy a year and a half ago and while it helped with the heavy bleeding/clotting, it didn't help the pain at all. Now my periods are close to what they were before the surgery. My gyn said at the time of surgey it probably wouldn't work because it looked like I had adeno but she couldn't confirm that. I also had endo on my ovaries, which didn't show up on the ultrasound. I've been fighting having a hyst, but after years of pain and misery, I'm going ahead with it. I'm scheduled for Thursday and while I'm anxious, I really can't wait.

At any rate, if you have heavy bleeding, clotting and pain, that is reason enough to have the surgery if you had tried other alternatives. Please don't let anyone tell you that you don't have a "good" reason. Your quality of life is at stake and it's your decision to make. If you're hesitant about the hyst (it is a major surgery) you might want to discuss laproscopy. Things can show up then that don't on ultrasound.

Whatever you decide, good luck!!!
Unread 03-17-2002, 06:11 AM
Hysterectomy or not?

I had a thermal ablation in Nov 2001 for heavy, heavy bleeding. It simply did not work, and after my hysterectomy pathology report came back I knew why. I had many small fibroids and extensive adenomyosis. I did not have other procedures leading up to my hysterectomy, as the D&C in Nov showed some precancerous cells and that was what made my decision to have a hysterectomy (I am 53). I also had some endometriosis on a tube, which would have gotten worse with time. I am so glad I did decide to have it done; talk about better quality of life! I was bleeding most of the month and had constant pain. I wish you luck in your decision, this is one you have to make on your own and family members who are not walking in your shoes (to constantly change pads etc and take pain meds) don't get to vote! Thinking of you!

Unread 03-17-2002, 06:30 AM
Laparoscopy

Sue,
A laparoscopy is when the surgeon uses a scope with a light and mini camera on the end of it to go thru your belly button and take a look at the outside of the uterus and the ovaries. It's done under general anesthesia (most of the time) and only takes about a couple or three days to recover. When the doc did mine, he found a uterus that was the size of a 13 week pregnancy; looked like a big water soaked pink sponge. No endometriosis on the outside of the uterus or on my tubes or ovaries.

A hysterectomy wasn't urgent at that time but I didn't want to live bleeding like that for any longer than I had too. The only problem I'm having now is still with the PMS. Since I kept my ovaries, I still struggle with PMS, of course without the bleeding during my period. My ovaries are still giving me fits at times. I'm hoping that if I go back to see the doc, he'll just put me back on birth control pills for the pain. It helped to mask the problems for 19 yrs. I don't want to go back thru a major surgery again just yet, if ever!

Everything I read while trying to decide about a hysterectomy said that for adenomyosis, the best and most effective way to handle it was a hysterectomy. I agree that the thermal ablation is only a temporary fix. So is Lupron, which throws you into a temporary menopause with all the fun stuff like hot flashes and night sweats!

You have to do what in your "gut" is right for you no matter what anyone else thinks! I think you're doing the right thing by researching and being on the HS website!

Good luck ! Let us know what you decide, Sue!
Janie
Unread 03-17-2002, 08:06 AM
Hysterectomy or not?

I went into my surgery thinking all that I had was alot of adhesions from past surgeries..I had horrible ovulation, and I was bleeding every ten days horrible bleeding, cramps, and huge clots..I had bad pms and my breasts were so sore three weeks out of the month. But tests didn't show a thing. I am 41 yrs old and have had my children, many surgeries prior to this and before I had children to remove adhesions so that I could get pregnant. I decided it was time to have a hysterectomy as I was so tired of the bleeding. My path report came back with fibroids and adeno..so there was a reason for the bleeding all of the time I'd have cramps with my periods, but not bad. And I ? my choice too that I should have this done. But now I am so glad that I did as the problems I had would of only gotten worse. There is a reason for the bleeding even tho we may not see it until we actually don't know until they get in there..You have to make your own choice. As for me I was sprizd to find out why I was having the problems I wash aving and then so happy that :I had it taken care of and don't have to deal with it anymore and no longer have to worry

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register