So long to go.... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So long to go.... So long to go....

Unread 03-09-2002, 01:26 PM
So long to go....

I am not scheduled for my TVH until April 16. I wish it were sooner because I am losing it. I think about it all the time. I want to talk about it all the time but of course my DH (lovable though he is) doesn't seem to think it's such a big deal. He sees it as "a form of birth control" (his words). Well, I see it as much more. It's not so much the acutal surgery I'm concerned about. It's the aferward that preys on my mind. How long will it take me to get better? Is my sex life going to be gone? Am I going to become emotional at the drop of a pin? Am I going to get fat (I've heard that happens a lot)? Many more questions pop up at the most inappropriate times. I read all the posts available and feel better but when I walk away from the computer, not to long after I'm feeling anxious and scared again. I do have a life and can't live on line. Any suggestions? PLEASE!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 01:42 PM
So long to go....

Hi Irae!

I TOTALLY recommend the Hyster Sisters book and journal both. It doesn't take long to get to you in the mail at all, and there are checklists and things that you can physically fill out and give you peace of mind. Plus, there's a list for your husband on how to pamper his princess when she gets home from the hospital. I copied it and posted it on the refrigerator for my DH. (Whether he looked at it, I don't know...but it sure didn't hurt.)

Hang in there...the waiting is definitely the hardest part - and I only had to wait a couple weeks after making the decision. I'm only 3 weeks post TAH/BSO, so can't comment yet on the sex, fat and other questions. I'm feeling better EVERY day and notice that things get easier every day. Just remember to rest a lot and follow 's orders.

s!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 03-09-2002, 01:48 PM
Irae

My surgery is less than 3 weeks away, but I was feeling those same feelings you are at first. I was just plain scared! And, like you, not about the surgery so much as about afterwards. But I've found alot of great advice and encouragement on these boards.
I think the most important thing I've learned is that my job after surgery is to recuperate! Not to entertain, or clean, or do for everyone else. It's a time for me, me, me! And that's okay.

Actually, I'm starting NOW to take care of me. Things like drinking herbal teas, enjoying relaxing baths with nice, smelling oils, shopping for pretty (if much bigger panties), and even getting facials and parifin hand waxes! (The local beauty school has some great deals). When you take care of yourself (be sure to ditch the guilt), you'll feel more calm and centered. Pretend there is a sign over your head that says, "Pampering Appreciated and Encouraged!). You may be surprised at how much better you feel when you say yes to taking care of yourself.

Take care and keep coming back. This is the greatest support system ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 02:17 PM
So long to go....

It will be okay, look at all the time you have to plan things! Believe me, the waiting really is the hardest thing!

Shirley, remember not to drink some teas, etc. before the surgery. I had restrictions a week before the surgery. Ask your doctor.

The time will go quickly, it will be here before you know it!

Sara
Unread 03-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Try not to worry

I know it's easier said than done. I found out on 2/14 that my surgery would be 3/20, so I had a little more than a month to go. But now, I have 11 days! And I'm thinking "oh my goodness, am I going to get everything done?!" Keep busy. I don't have the Hyster Sisters Book or Journal, but I think that would be super! I did a lot of reading on this site, learning, making notes, feeling comforted. Try your best to keep busy, and keep a positive attitude. I think what has helped me, besides this wonderful site, is the fact that I am comfortable with my decision and know that it is for the best. Sure I'm anxious, and a little scared, but that's normal. Think of all the reasons why you are having this surgery. Then fast forward to after the surgery when all of that is better. I think that helps my attitude stay upbeat, because I know when I am healthier and really feel better, that sex will get better, and my life as a mother, wife, daughter, sister, and employee will be better. Hang in there, and keep posting. Everyone is always here to help.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register