the swellly belly | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

the swellly belly the swellly belly

Unread 03-09-2002, 03:23 PM
the swellly belly

Okay, I've read about this happening and am wondering just how big the belly will get with an TAH? I know it will be different for everyone but I read one post where she said a 6 months pregnancy belly?? Oh lordie please no... I've lost soooo much weight (130 lbs) and I DREAD pulling out some of my fat clothes... I threw most of them out or donated them... UGH and how long will it last? My surgery is april 23... I posted about my daughters graduation in june... I will probably buy a very loose, long skirt with elastic as some have suggested to me.... I know in the long run what REALLY matters is that I make it through this surgery... yes, i still have my days when I am frightened about 'not making it through'... I just can't wait until I am home and recovering, having DH wait on me <great big grin>
thanks for relating your experiences....
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 03:27 PM
the swellly belly

I had a TVH, so all I can do is respond as far as what I experienced. I still have swelly belly, not much, but enough that my regular clothes are tight at 6 weeks post op. I think this is different with everyone and how well you adhere to restrictions in the first few weeks. Don't panic yet, you may have only minimal problems with it!

Unread 03-09-2002, 03:43 PM
the swellly belly

I am 6 weeks post on Monday and I still have swelly belly. If I do more then usual my belly will swell more. The jeans I had on today cannot be buttoned comfortably but I did have a lot more going on inside then the Dr thought. She told me my belly will be swollen for 3-4 months. It has went down substantially since surgery though. I find it really depends a lot on the person. I wish you the best of luck. Take good care. Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:39 PM
the swellly belly

Best wishes on your surgery in April. I had my surgery in October, so I am 4 1/2 months Post-Op. This is my 3rd surgery in 4 years, so I have been this route a few times. They finally took my last ovary in October. Yes, I did have swollen belly, but just where my pants were tight. I wore loose pants for the first few months and if I did too much, my stomach hurt worse. I started back to the gym at 3 months post-op and it felt so good to be working out again. Just be prepared to recover for a few months. Best Wishes!
Unread 03-09-2002, 08:02 PM
the swellly belly

Just to show you that everyone is different....I didn't have ANY problems with swelling at all. I had a HUGE fibroid and many smaller ones...I had the "look" before my surgery! I was shocked and amazed to wake up to a flat stomach...hadn't seen that in years and years! I took Motrin for pain relief after the first 24hours (morphine PCA pump for the 1st day), so it may be that the ibuprofen's anti-inflammatory effect had something to do with it.

Not everyone has it, so there's nothing written in stone to tell you if you'll get it or how long it will take!!

Karen
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:35 PM
the swellly belly

My belly never did swell. I was in my own panties and clothes even while in the hospital. I too lost a load of weight and had not wanted to look like I had gained. Keep your posture good and don't over do and you will be fine. Good luck!
Unread 03-10-2002, 04:14 AM
the swellly belly

My belly was swollen! I'm 11 day's post-op and I can pull in my tummy! Yay!

Of course I have to wait a few more weeks, but once I'm allowed, back to exercising I go!

Sara
Unread 03-10-2002, 06:13 AM
thank you

thank you all for the encouraging replies. I am hopeful that doing my workouts now will help me somewhat. I think that will be one of the hardest parts of recovery...not working out. I love to do it , its just part of my routine now... like brushing my teeth and washing my face.
Thank you all so much.
off to the mall to check out outfits for my daughters special day!!
Unread 03-10-2002, 07:53 AM
the swellly belly

I had swelly belly after surgery for about a week but it wasn't bad, just a little bloated looking. I am a size 2 and was in my jeans in no time at all. I also am a runner (55 miles/week) and was able to start running again at 6 weeks. I began walking a few miles a day at 2 weeks post-op to keep my body strong and to get out of the house. I did not have a hyst at that time, just removal of some cysts and adhesions. I plan to take more time off exercising this time so I can fully recover. I would imagine the hyst is more involved than what I had the last time. I also lost a lot of weight anyway because my appetite was gone for a few weeks so I wasn't too worried about gaining weight. I assume things will be the same this time. Just listen to your doc and your body.

JoAnn
TAH/BSO 3/13
Unread 03-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Swelly Belly

I had a TVH on 2/19 and for the first two weeks I actually looked like I was five months pregnant and then it seems over nite the tummy went down I was able to put on jeans and be comfy..woohoo...I kept telling my hubby "I think she put something ni there instead of taking it all out.."haha..I still put my sweats on when I am laying around the house cuz it is more comfy to me and I do notice the more I amup and about by nite time my swelly belly is there again..

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register