10 Days To Go - Fear Is Creeping Up | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 Days To Go - Fear Is Creeping Up 10 Days To Go - Fear Is Creeping Up

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:35 PM
10 Days To Go - Fear Is Creeping Up

I have my TAH/BSO (leaving cervix) coming up March 19. My emotions are all over the place. I think one minute I can do it, no problem when I think of the pain I'm in, but then I'm afraid of what they "might" find. I know I have a small mass inside my right ovary and alot of adhesions that will be removed. I dread what I'm going to feel like when I wake up, being in the hospital (never been) and just the digestive upsets. One thing that I hold on to is what my doctor said, you have to have Faith, so I hate to worry myself over things that may not even happen or be bad news. I feel like I'm being pulled in all different directions, emotionally, spiritually and physically. My weight is dropping cause I'm either to nervous to eat, or sick from my insides aching. I can't do anymore research on my surgery because I'm on info overload right now and for every good thing I read, then there is one bad or contradicting. Yikes. I want to live the life God gave me productively, not sitting here in pain all the time. I'm just so worn out and tired over this worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:44 PM

Well Gracie, I can certainly feel your nervousness. I have been through the surgery 3 times and was probably more nervous for the last surgery. I did learn a few things, though. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!! If you need something to help you relax, ask your doctor. It will be all over soon, and eventually you will feel better. This website has been a lifesaver for me. There is so much knowledge from so many women who feel just like we do! Best wishes.....
Unread 03-09-2002, 07:08 PM

Hi, Gracie - I know where you're coming from. I had a year of watching an ovarian mass get a bit bigger with each ultrasound, wondering if it was cancer. Statistically, few are. Fortunately, mine wasn't, though I found out 4 days before going in for my hysterectomy that I have a 50-50 chance of thyroid cancer. So, I'm still in that "uncertain" stage. Personally, I think in many ways the uncertainty is scarier than knowing what it is, one way or another. Once you know, if it's benign, you can relax, if it's malignant, you can work on treatment. The unknown for me at least was awful.

And it IS a good idea not to worry over things that may never happen or may be bad. though doing that is a bit difficult for many of us. It's ok to be scared. Try doing things that relax you - listening to music, bubble bath. deep breathing - whatever.

I can tell you that when I woke up (I had a spinal with sedation) I honestly didn't feel bad. The hospital will keep enough pain medication in you to keep the pain down. They gave me a scale from 1-10 to study before I went in, and asked me where my pain was many many times. The goal is to keep iy minimal.

Let the hospital know you've never been hospitalized before. Tell the nurses who are with you - I found them all SO nice and comforting. Ask if you can have someone stay with you. Many hospitals will put an extra bed in the room, or you may have a roommate you can talk to.

Hang in there, and we'll all be rooting for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 04:32 AM

Hi Gracie!

I too had that "waiting" problem. Seems like it will never get here, then when it does, I'm a nervous wreck! Waiting really is the hardest part.

I was shocked when they told me what was really inside of me! I thought and they thought, it was fibroids! So, I can relate to the feelings you are having.

Sara
Unread 03-10-2002, 05:28 AM

Grace,
I had massive adhesions on the female organs. My ovaries were so stuck in there the doctor waited for the pathology report before she commited to saying she got both ovaries out. SHe thought she had but with the thick scar tissue around them she was not sure. I am telling you this because getting it all out was the best thing I ever did. All that aching will go away.

Waiting is the worst part of this whole experience and since you havn't had surgery before it must be really worrisome for you.

Keep telling yourself you'll feel better and keep praying. They have been doing this surgery for at least 40 years. It is quite routine these days, even though it is still major surgery. I know a 75 year old lady that had a hyster when she was 40 and she said it was the best thing she ever did. She told me that she didn't realize how bad she felt till it was all taken out.

Sparkler

:usflag:

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register